Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for 1960's built tri-5 chevy's!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sledbuilder, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Surprised no one has posted pictures of Project X in its 60s stages.

2. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

That could be a fine example. Brush Prarie? You must know" Ralph" ?

3. 57belair

57belair
    Member Emeritus
    from Michigan

Michigan 1962

Attached Files:

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

this car was built in the early 60's and ran the streets and strips in the Oklahoma City area up until about four years ago. All I did was change up the wheels and tires.

Attached Files:

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  5. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

6. ".[NINE INCH you know 1968 was not realy the 60s "

I halfway agree with this statement in that the 60s cars (and 50s or 70s decade could also be considered) changed about half way through the decade .... as did the music.

I always though the discussion of decades should normally in the middle (1965) and start up , or down ... ie pre-65 (to '55) and post-65 (to '75).

Music seems to be the same way, as with clothing trends.

7. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

This is amazing! Nobody knows much here:confused:

8. Rebracer

Rebracer

??????????

9. MonteSS

MonteSS

Dad's first 56. Around 1965

Attached Files:

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. Abomb

Abomb

I was born in 1969, but they did make something called mag-uh-zines....I know that because my Dad has a whole bunch....they're in binders, ( 12 in each...weird, huh ?) for some reason...they all say hot rod on them, and there's neat little things called pichers (or something like that).....I also can tell the difference between a Ranchero and an Elcamino.

Oh, and I remember reading something about wanting pics of hot rod style tri 5's....I see an awful lot of mild customs and mid 80's builds popping up on this thread.

11. My dad's friend Harry sent me these photos a few years ago of a '55 he built, I believe in the latter half of the 60's. This car was in North Dakota. It started out as a shell sitting in someone's rural garden patch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  12. Abomb

Abomb

I have gotten a few PM's about this post...so I thought maybe I should clarify....

My point was to the "you don't know much" poster mostly, but I do stand by my point, and I suppose it's a matter of modern interpretation, that many of the photo's of lowered cars, some with deleted trim, nosed and decked, whitewalls etc. were mild customs. The OP asked for 60's style hotrod tri 5's. I don't dispute the fact that those cars were there in the 60's, How could I, that's a Watson car...but that makes my point kind of, Watson was a famous CUSTOM guy, not a famous hotrod guy, and I don't disagree that some of them could have been very fast cars, but I do disagree that they were hotrod style.

13. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

hey guy's, this went south quick.... uh i should have worded my original post better. I was hoping to find "old" photo's of tri-5 hot rods. I love all styles, gassers, hot rods/customs ect. My definition of a "hot rod" is a low budget/ home brew car used for street and dragging. Believe me i love everyone of the cars posted on this thread. But for me the scans of the old personal photo's are what i'm after. thanks and I'm sorry for the aggravation this thread has started.

14. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

that looks great!

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's a couple of vintage pics, and one recent one. The first was taken about 1961, or so. It's of my oldest brother Larry and his 56 Chevy. The second is of my brother Bob's 57 Chevy, (hrbhrb here on The HAMB), at MidState Dragway, in Havana ILL. It was taken about 1970. The third is of my 55 Chevy that was taken last year. I tried to build it in a mid 60's style. Without the front bumper, it looks kinda gasser"ish", but that wasn't the intention.

Attached Files:

16. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

man i dig all three!

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mine either. Unless you meant to say 2006...

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

[​IMG]

These look more like what I remember. ESPECIALLY the black & white '56...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  19. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I am enjoying this thread. Its funny watching everyone argue about what is "right" and what is "wrong". I bet if you could go back in time to say 1965, pick 5 guys from 5 different regions and tell them to build a tri 5 hot rod, you would get 5 completely different cars.

I am only 36, I was born in 75 and don't know shit about true 60's hotrods, but I know what my dad built and my uncles built from 63-66. They all still have their cars. Dad is from N AL and his 55 is a straight axle gasser and sits on true mag wheels and pie crusts, Bob's(by marriage) is from Detroit and his 55 sits level on chrome reverse steelies and spider caps. Charles was in the Air Force stationed in TX and his 57 sits high in the back on slots. All 3 cars in the same time frame and all different. It just depended on what the influence were in the area that they were built.

EDIT: Charles' is the only one with a bumper.

Please post some more pics, I love seeing them.

Sled,

I thing a rebuilding your suspension to stock specs and adding some reverse chromes would be sweet and look period, to what region, I have no idea. Sweet car no matter which way you go.

20. klazurfer

klazurfer

I totaly agree with Sled :)

More pix , Less drama .

Klaz

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  21. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Mine was originally rodded back in the day. I had the seats re-done to match the original tuck n roll job. The side panels are original 50 year old Naugahyde still. She's not tail draggin' on purpose, I need to replace the springs.

And a couple other pics I have on my computer, I love this watson job.

Attached Files:

22. Rebracer

Rebracer

I figured thats what you were looking for! ;)

23. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

This nails it in Iowa back then. I was 10 at that time and spent more time looking at neighborhood cars than doing homework. Everyone around here raised the rear (air shocks and shackles) and left the front stock, chrome reverse on the rear were a big thing, fronts were usually Cragar SS or chrome slots. If they were big buck guys, they had fenderwell headers, if not under the frame headers, always painted white. Corvette or M/T valve covers, Edelbrock intakes and any 4 bbl they could get their hands on (preferebly a 3310 Holley) with a little chrome air cleaner and oil filler cap. Had to be a 4 speed. Little black foam steering wheel, speakers on the carpeted back package shelf, tack on the dash front and center. No front bumper, black painted grill. Most dumped the exhaust out under the car or in front of the back tires, never out the back. Thrush mufflers or Cherry Bombs when they came out. Around here they body stayed pretty much stock.

Enjoy your car,
    SPark

henryj1951 likes this.
  24. This car was never in Iowa, to my knowledge! LOL ... actually the air shocks on a tri-five is a weak idea unless the mounts are moved ... alot of guys learned the hard way!

25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Not saying your car was ever in Iowa. I'm using it as an example of what they looked like where I grew up at that time. That car would have fit right in around my home town. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree on the air shock deal, that's just what everyone did. You also have to remember these cars were a lot newer in the 60's!

SPark

26. kingofknights

kingofknights

my dads 56 in the late 60's

Attached Files:

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

that is killer man, peace!!

28. Graduated in 1962, southern California, My high school had a senior class of about 325 students. If I remember correctly, which is not often, out of all cars, only one or two guys had a "hot Rod", A 40 Ford with 6 deuce Oldsmobile or 38 Chevy 283 with 2 4's. The cool guys had 55-56 Belairs, 55-56 Mercury's and Chevy/ Ford 1/2 tons. The rest of us had wannabe hot rods or moms car that we had to get back right after school. Check the street cruise scene in "American Graffiti". Pretty accurate of what the '60's car scene was. (me, I had a 50 Ford Club Coupe that did 110 MPH, once.

29. cavman

cavman

Here's mine circa '66[​IMG]

Built 265, 3 speed with O/D 4:11 rear, painted reversed rear wheels, chrome frts, '54 Vet frt bumpers (nerfs) Lots of fun back then.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  30. ^^^^^ sch-wang!!!! ^^^^^