Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to lower my 36 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steverod, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Steverod

Steverod

Hi everybody

I need some advice from you the experts .
    I tryed already to lower my 36 cabriolet, but i am not satisfied.

I changed the springs and i put posies springs on the front and on the back.
    With my 16" wheels i still scratch the front lightly at the beginning so i bend down the spring perch.

But it is still not like i wich it should.

I want to change the 39 drums 16" wheels to but some 15" but witch drums can i put on the 39 spindels ? That will help me a little bit .

Should i put a 4" front axel on it ,i beam,but i need to change everything on the front ?

For the back,what i dont want to is to cut the frame to get it on the ground,i think it si not drivable ,( i can not tell it because i didnt try it:D ) maybe you can correct me.I am pretty sure that i need to cut the back of the frame if i want to get so low like the pictures that i get on the attachment.

On the first picture you can see the hight of my 36.
    The second one is like the goal that i want to get.

Thank you for your interest to read an all your help in advance.

Steve

Attached Files:

2. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you look at the post by StorminNorm in the cars for sale section, He has a 36 3win. that has dual leaf springs and 3in. blocks. This is about as low as you can go without notching the frame, and still have a decent ride.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The trick to getting that rear down is by flattening that rear cross member. You can do it with or without taking the body off but you can guess which one is easier. By flattening it you are essentially raising the mounting point up by 3-4" and when you couple that with a reversed spring and 2" lowering shacklesyou can get them down pretty far especially when you couple it with a Posies spring.

For the front I had my axle dropped and I coupled it with a reversed Durant monoleaf and it's about as low as you would want it I think and I haven't seen it with the engine in yet either.

4. mj40's

mj40's

Or the easy way.

[​IMG]

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i want to do the same thing, though i think with the raiseing the crossmember 3-4 inches and posi spring and drop shackels the frame may need a notch. with the drop shakels a panhard bar will more than likely be needed. the 42-48 hubs i believe will fit on the 39 spindels and rear axel.

6. Steverod

Steverod

First of all ,thanks for your quick replay

This sounds good,i think you can not pass in the panhard bar when the car is so low.
    are you sure about the front and back 39 spindels?

Okay,i fear i build a drop axel on it,that my turning radius is small,the wheel gonna screap the fender

I search StorminNorm,but i couldnt find him in the "Search"link of the HAMB.

So is there somebody how can confirm or helping me out with the 15" Ford wheels.What do i need to change to put them on.

Steve

7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, should be Stormin Norm.

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

The 42-48 ford hubs should work for you, ive been told they will work with the 39 spindels and backing plates. You will then have a 5 on 5 1/2 pattern that you can get 15 inch wheels for. If im wrong hopefull someone will correct me. Cause its what i want to do.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well often hen the axle is dropped the amount of space between the kingpins is decreased. Sometimes it's only a tiny amount but it should be enough to get your wheels to clear. I am running 3.5" V860 wheels and 5.50 tires and I don't think I'm going to have any issue there.

10. My Ford fast moving parts catalogue lists front drums 40-48 will work on 39 spindles. Any spindle upto 48 works too. Same years on the rear brake drums and then you can use truck rims from the 53(?) up to 90 something ford trucks. I know 49-51 Mercs are same bolt pattern aswell. They are a five on five and a half in. bolt pattern 15 in. diameter rim. If you want radial tires get newer rims the old ones are weeker and don't handle the side load as well. It's going to depend on what hubcaps you want to run too. The Ford part # on those drums are C51A 1074 front and C21A 1076B rear. Spindle part # 7HC 3105 42-48 RHD 21AF 3106 LHD. Don't forget new kingpins. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  11. Steverod

Steverod

Okay well after nearly two years here the result.I lowered the crossmember by 4"3/4 got that posie spring,and it really look good,well next thing will be driving ; ))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for more pics look @ http://acesdeluxe.blogspot.com/

12. Any pics?

13. Steverod

Steverod

Here the result on the outside of the garage.By the way there is no C nutch .Thanks Jeffrey for your advice.

[​IMG]

14. Looks bitchin'!
    Thats how I lowered the rear of my '35 Phaeton too... drives great!

-Shiny

15. Steverod

Steverod

Thanks 29EHV8 ,good to know that it drives great .I dont know it yet,but i think it will be good to