Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F100 steering box in a Model A done differently PICS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 4, 2012.

1. badshifter

badshifter

My project A got some work done today. After looking at some trick stuff NealinCA did on his F1 steering boxes, it got me thinking. As he said, some boxes were clamped in place rather than being flanged. So... I cut the flanges of my Gemmer F100 box, chucked it in the lathe and turned the output housing side down to 1.875" (1 7/8). At that point I had intended to make a flange and weld it on, but that's where I changed my plans.
    Then I made a 2 piece "clamp" out of 1"x3" steel, with a 1.875" hole in it to clamp the box where the flange used to be. I located the box in the frame to clear everything and drilled a 1.375 hole for the shaft in the frame. Welded a pad to the lower part of the frame and drilled it for the clamp. After mocking it up, I then drilled a hole in the upper part of the clamp and threaded it for a bolt into the upper half for added strength. So, the new box mounts with three bolts, 2 from the bottom and one from the top side. It's rock solid and seems to work really well. The frame will still get boxed. Last thing was weld the original holes and bolt everything back together. I don't think it's better than welding a flange on it, it's just a different way to do it.

Attached Files:

2. NealinCA

NealinCA

Neat solution. That saves welding on the steering box...as sometimes that can get tricky.

Neal

3. wonderfull idea. will copy. thanks.;)

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I dig it – really smart.

5. BCR

BCR

Nice work.

6. 18n57

18n57

Nice! and its adjustable....

7. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Simple and effective, nice.

8. VW Micro buses have a similar clamp system, bolted to the bottom of the frame rail and clamped tight when in place. I'm sure some HAMBr has seen it and used it as I have many many moons ago!!!

9. brianj

brianj

I like it . I am going to steal it for mine.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

11. navypainter

navypainter

Hell of an idea. By the way, what year F-1 boxes are best to use or is there any difference. Thank you all in advance.

12. A Rodder

A Rodder

13. rogmoseley

rogmoseley

Great idea and simple engineering. I'm at that point on my A. I used the VWbus on one years ago, and need one or a F-100 myself. I liked the VW 'cause you could loosen the clamp and make it any angle that you needed. Keep up the good work...

14. nkopp@newulmtel.net

[email protected]
    from MN

You guys might just be the group to help me! I have a 32chevy with an F 100 1953 - 55 Gemmer box. The arm has a Chevy bow tie on it so must be Chevy. BUT the arm is too short, so it will not turn to the stops on the back plates! I noticed it had a large turning circle! I estimate the arm should be 2" longer. It is the split clamp with bolt on the box, and about a 1/2" a hole at the other end. What do I buy?Thanks, norm

15. nkopp@newulmtel.net

[email protected]
    from MN

You guys might just be the group to help me! I have a 32chevy with an F 100 1953 - 55 Gemmer box. The arm has a Chevy bow tie on it so must be Chevy. BUT the arm is too short, so it will not turn to the stops on the back plates! I noticed it had a large turning circle! I estimate the arm should be 2" longer. It is the split clamp with bolt on the box, and about a 1/2" a hole at the other end. What do I buy?Thanks, norm
    Forgot to say the arm I have is 6" center to center. It also has a 2" offset.

16. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

GREAT IDEA !! Thanks for posting !!

17. F&J

F&J

Get some pics of what you have, and start a new thread. Someone will help. They may not see it here buried in another guys thread.

18. yruhot

yruhot

Also have a 1930 model A and I'm going in for shoulder surgery and had heard that the f100 box conversion is the way to go. I also would like to know what year f100 steering box should I be looking for? Thanks for any input.Doug

19. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

yruhot if you can pm me and I can point you to the machine shot/steering rebuilder I used here in town.