Register now to get rid of these ads!

tips for swapping 59 apache roof clip.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

my 59 chevy truck has the typical windshield peak rot. and the pillars are pretty shitty. long story short i got a great deal on a roof clip. it has the complete front pillars, and the entire small back window section all the way down to the window line. are there any special tricks for doing this. seems fairly straight forward. just measure twice, then measure again, and one last time lol. any tips for me ?

2. It's just like doing a chop, except without cutting anything off. I think was it me I'd be sure the front posts were dead on before I did more than tack the rear, the windshield isn't going to be that forgiving and with age and use the body may have changed shape a tad. Easier to fix it at the back I would think.

3. hotrods247

hotrods247

take out the front and rear glass make a cardboard template of the window channel make one for front and back when you mark your windshield post flip your template around mark the other side i hope this is clear enough for you to understand you can make one for the door or use a tape measure and masking tape

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i like the template idea. and yeah i was thinking as long as the front pillars are dead nuts on then everything else should be easier to deal with. pretty much just a cut and weld type deal with some body work as well. seems very simple compared to a chop

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

How much of the A Posts do you have on the clip? Did ya get the top of the cowl panel as well? If possible, I'd section in the clip BELOW the windshield opening after I braced the opening. These usually rotted at the cowl pinch weld as well. Align your doors prior to doing any cutting, and use them as a standard of measurement when you hang the clip. At the end of the day, all gaps must match the door & window openings.

" Life ain't no Disney movie ''

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i got the pillars all the way down to where they start to curve at the base of the windshield. ive heard most floor rot comes from the cowl leaking ? i plan on shaving the cowl in the future

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

advice: Measure TWICE, cut once.....

8. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

seems straight forward... lets see some pics of the progress...

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

im gonna be startin a build thread within the next month or so. ive been collectin fresh sheetmetal from this guy steve almeter out in arizona. great stuff and great prices. i just got a 59 gmc grille which are wicked rare. got some cool plans for that. got tons of sheetmetal work to do, and me and a buddy are doing a triangulated four link out back, with air ride front and rear. cant wait to get the major stuff goin

10. hotrods247

hotrods247

use the template cut thru the back window(less weld less warp) ,if you want to chop it notch either the top or bottom window channel let your glass go into channel up in roof or down in cowl and you dont have to cut your glass ussually have 2.5 to 3.5 inchs to play with i personally hate chopped trucks for the most part .......good luck

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

no chop. i dont like the look either. the only truck i saw that looked cool was an apache that the guy raked the front of the roof down like an inch. it was a sick truck. im just keepin it stock tho. may shave the drip rails. i like the back window idea