Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upper Steering Shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trades707, Feb 28, 2012.

1. trades707

trades707
    from Oregon

I'm undertaking a conversion of 48 Ford to Saginaw (Camero) power steering. We want to keep original steering wheel and three on the tree shifting, so we pretty much have to use the stock column. (Cheaper too.) I'm thinking we can cut the column, add a bearing and a support, splice a shaft (possibly with a u-joint) and hook up to the rag joint at the gear. However, once I give away the original gear, there will be a hole where the 3/4" upper shaft is supposed to be.

Does anyone make a round 3/4" shaft with threads for the steering wheel nut and a keyway on top? Hole for horn wire would be nice also.

Thanks
    Abe

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What?
    Just cut the original steering shaft and column tube and connect it to the new box with a rag-joint from the donor car and/or an intermediate shaft and u-joint if necessary.
    I don't know where the 3/4" hole you mention would be as you aren't changing anything from the firewall up.
    You'll have to have a different connection to use the horn button something like the late columns use as modern steering boxes don't jave hollow steering shafts like the old cars.

3. there is a kit, that is a lower bearing and horn ring all in one, i think i bought it from sacremento vintage ford.

4. trades707

trades707
    from Oregon

Thanks for the thought. There is someone who wants the original gear, intact, so we were trying to salvage it for him, leaving us without an upper shaft.
    abe

5. dcwest32

dcwest32

contact LimeySteve here on hamb he can make one

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Did something similar to my 46 Olds with OEM column Hydramatic. Cut off end, machined to 3/4DD and added a toeboard plate. A simple nylon bush with 3/4 bearing and collar. Grease nipple secures bushing to column tube and circlip stops inner shaft moving. Simple

Attached Files: