Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHP Blue vin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 ford delivery, Mar 6, 2012.

1. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery
    My 34 ford delivery was changed from a 34 ford 4 door sedan,has 350 with a cam hooker headers. One vin on the frame and the other on the fire wall and both relict a 34 ford ,But DMV sent me to CHP and the vin guy said on the paper work that there was no public vin and blue tagged me., I am contesting it I talked to his supervisor But he said It was a special construction and I am concerned about smoging.He said federal certification was missing ,It a 34 ford ? The CHP guy said that if the 34 ford was not chopped and had 4 doors then the vin tags would be ok ,but its not, any thoughts would help , 34 FORD DELIVERY :cool:

2. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

If I remember correctly, the Federal certification tags didn't start until 1970. So, no, a '34 Ford would not have or require that. Also, from what I've been told, (and you know how that can be) in CA, the VIN verification is supposed to be just that, verify the VIN. Do the stampings look unaltered, how is the tag attached, were is it located. Not an overall vehicle inspection. No "the tops chopped, those aren't factory taillights," etc.

3. F&J

F&J

I think 1969 on public VINs. Maybe if that is the bigger issue for you, can you get copies of the FED law that would say the date they were mandated?

Or perhaps they don't like the body style change when looking at the old papers?

4. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

The 34 i just got from back east and the vin plat was atached to the fire wall and the car had the other vin on the frame .their pix of the car hear just click to see them no not a full inspection just to check vin will check the federal guide lines. But not in 1934

5. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery thanks

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Why did you have to have the car inspected? New build? Bought from out-of-state? Didn't come with a title and current registration?

7. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

bOUGHT THE CAR OUT OF STATE DMV CHECKED THE VIN NUMBER BUT SAID THEIR BOOK ONLY WENT BACK TO 1938 SO THEY SENT ME TO CHP

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

So, if the car was bought from back east, all you should have needed was a vin verification. Any police officer could have done that. I did plenty when I was still working. It shouldn't have mattered if the car was changed, as long as it resembled a '34 Ford. Don't know about your area, but I would try another CHP office.

9. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

dose any one know if blue tag means smoging or not 34 delivery

10. Cerberus

Cerberus

The CHP put blue tags in two of my vehicles. One because the vin tag was missing, the other because of special construction under SB100(smog exempt).

Also, years ago, I bought a 1950 Chevy Cabover truck with a water tank on it. Replaced the water tank with a 16' stakebed. DMV made me take it to the CHP referee station because of a model change in the registration. The CHP endorsed it and the model of the truck was changed to 1950 Chevy stakebed. Your case is similar. Your vehicle should be titled as a 1934. If you don't have supporting documentation it was ever titled as a 1934, CHP can be a stickler on this one...especially if it was never titled in California.

11. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

i think it depends what year engine you put in the car

12. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

the tidle and rcame from new jersey and was restered as a 34 ford with all the changes their two vin mumbers one on the fire wall and the other on the frame. on the form from chp it says no pludic vin and no fedral sticker which came out in 1968. go figer bs 1934 ford delivery its got a 350 with a cam

13. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

You will probably need an sb 100 smog exemption, Do a search plenty of info

14. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

Thanks 34 ford delivery

15. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

In 1968 there was a Federal Standards Act, which codified the placement and attachment method
    of vin tags. This resulted in the familiar windshield placement of the vin, so that it became 'public',
    and open to inspection by law enforcement without court order or permission. This was not the
    first time that vins were mandated under Federal Law. Remember though, that vehicles are 'real
    property', and have titles issued which use the serial number/vin to identify the vehicle.
    "...Section 580. A "specially constructed
    vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for
    private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A
    specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new
    and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520,
    which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially
    constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by
    replacing parts..." It's 34 going back to CHP

16. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

any one else want to go the parking lot holds about 30 cars LOL

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

might want to look for a professional person that does title/vin verifications and run all of this past him/her. their business requires them to be up on all registration regs. put wanted ad here, search online and other sites to locate someone to help you out.

18. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

If your paperwork is already started through the bureaucracy it's going to be a lot harder to change things than if you started fresh. Just about any used car bought from out of state requires a VIN verification. It's best to use a licensed vin verifier that's not part of the DMV system. All they do is fill out the vin verification form and answer the questions on the form, i.e. is it a gas engine, do the numbers match the supporting paper work, do the numbers appear altered, is the tag affixed by rivets etc.. The CHP get overzealous and add all sorts of hoops for you to start jumping through. What was a tag doing on the firewall unless it was added later? I have a 34 and it only had numbers on the frame. Did the numbers on the firewall tag match the numbers on the frame?

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

does the paperwork you have match the chassis vin? the delivery vin? or none?

20. I think that's how it works. I'm interested to find out the results

21. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Just because they put a state issued VIN on it doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be smogged, or that it is registered as a special construction. What does the title they issued you say?

I have a '56 Austin Healey that has a blue tag and CA state issued VIN. When the car was restored the VIN plate, which is just held on by plain old sheet metal screws on those cars, was removed for painting. When it was titled, the inspector asked if the VIN tag had been removed. The answer was yes (as it obviously had new paint underneath the tag), and they promptly riveted a blue VIN tag on the body and frame :mad: .

BUT, the car is still titled as a '56 Austin Healey, and no smog is required. The only difference is that the VIN number on the title isn't the car's original #, its the VIN # issued by the state.

22. robH

robH

Me thinks this is being 'way-over-thought'. If the process hasn't been screwed up, as by having been to a dmv and letting them record something in the computer, then I'd recommend, at least, a second opinion (Or third, or fourth...). My preference is to use one of the independent registration services. If you are anywhere near so ca, I can recommend a gal that is 'very friendly' to us old-car-nuts, and she has done at least dozens of registrations for me and old-ford-friends that I know. A couple of recent ones for me, are a 32 and a 34. JMO

23. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

When I registered my Calif. blue VIN tagged '53 Stude in Nevada, the NVDMV said "California is a bunch of idiots". The original MFGR. VIN tag was perfectly legible, and ran through the system as clear title, so that is what they used to I.D. the car for the state of NV.

24. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

the paper work matches both vin numbers and the vin number both are the same number. the tag on the fire wall was set with scerws, working on if you look at the pix and read the special construction discription it dose not apply to this 34, and the public vin did not come out till 1968 and had nothing to do with a 34 ford.

25. 34 ford delivery

34 ford delivery

the paper work matches both vin numbers and the vin number both are the same number. the tag on the fire wall was set with scerws, working on if you look at the pix and read the special construction discription it dose not apply to this 34, and the public vin did not come out till 1968 and had nothing to do with a 34 ford.[ what to do

after faxing the paper work to sacremento they have changed their mines and nothing maters at this time is get this the frame and if the frame has been modfied than it is special construcking even thow section 580 on spechal construction says nothing about the frame or engine modfied wonder what that means. Go figer 34 ford delivery

26. alchemy

alchemy

34 Fords did not come with an ID number on the firewall originally, so that tag means nothing. It's not a true Ford-issued item.

The number on the frame is the original ID number (not really a VIN since they didn't have VIN codes back then). I'm surprised your CHP or DMV didn't know there was no such thing as a numbered tag on a firewall for your 34.

Good luck.

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Damn, you guys in California have it so rough when it comes to cars. :eek:

Don

28. tinknocker86

tinknocker86
    from california

PLEASE don't get me started on the subject of the idiot DMV people here in So.Cal. and their henchmen the CHP!!! I can tell you some real horror stories. I do CONCOURSE, 100% FACTORY STOCK, pre-50's American motorcycle restorations, with work in more than three well known museums and many private collections, and still have to be lumped in with the " bike gangs we had so much trouble with" !!! Give me a F'in break! Those of us into early iron, two wheeled or four are NOT criminals and do not deserve to be treated as such!!!

29. i was thinking the same thing . maybe the officer seen the firewall tag and knew it wasent a ford tag then figured the frame was restamped also. thats a iffy one there shouldent be a matching number on the firewall though.

30. no55mad

no55mad

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x2