Register now to get rid of these ads!

cleaning chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52lomofo, Mar 6, 2012.

1. 52lomofo

52lomofo

anyone have any good products what do you use??

2. burnout2614

burnout2614

Double-00 steel wool. Eagle one wire wheel cleaner, Mothers chrome cleaner. peace

3. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

I've heard coca-cola and aluminum foil works

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I like "Flitz" metal cleaner.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Whatever is in a plastic bottle or metal can or whatever that says "polish" on it.

The condition of the chrome has a lot more to do with it, than what snake oil you use to clean it with.

6. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Double Zero (00) is too harsh-- use Quad Zero (0000)

I've always used Mother's polish, or eagle one. They both work great.

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

well here at the shop i use mothers and my sons elbow grease.great combo!lol

8. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Liquid detergent poured over a hand sized wad of aluminum foil to remove tar and rust...

9. If it is real dirty I use S.O.S. pads, they have polish in them so the water beads when you are done.

I found an example the first light was part of this pair and dirty as hell (patina?) the second pair of lights is after nothing than S.O.S. pad and water, those brown lines are not rist or scratches, the chrome is crazed and that is the copper showing though. I dearly love old chrome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  10. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

Ditto- rusty chrome use SOS pads. be careful not to scratch

11. dick lyons

dick lyons

goo begone. its great.

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

0000 steel wool and Kroil.

13. DrJ

DrJ

I have used CLR on a soft cloth on chrome that is starting to "go".
    Steel wool in any grade removes the very thin chrome layer exposing just the nickel underneath, or copper under that.
    I remove old bumper stickers parking permits, reflector tape, etc. with just a "sharpened" tongue depressor or popsicle stick.

14. Never tried a tongue depressor for bumper stickers. Thanks Doc.

15. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Barkeepers friend

16. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

I was just gonna say barkeepers friend, with a 0000 steel wool, and then polish out any swirls with chrome polish.

17. gmc1941

gmc1941

I've used tooth "paste" not gel, works pretty good and smells clean.........

18. big M

big M

Another cheap product that works well is the GOJO hand cleaner with pumice. Residue washes off nicely too.

---John

19. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

HA...beat ya to it ! ! !

20. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with DrJ in that steel wool wears the chrome thin exposing the nickel underneath, metal on metal contact should be avoided (although if you've got a bumper that's totally brown with rust or something that's really trashed, go for it, it'll look better for a while at least)

I like to use buffing compound, the same stuff I'd use to buff out a wetsanded paint job. A tongue depressor to scrape heavy crust off first sounds like a good idea too, I'll try that.

21. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

If your looking at cleaning newer chrome then cleaners like windex and then a soft wax or cleaner wax. Nothing thats a polish and certainly not any kind of steel wool. Anything even slightly abrasive can leave swirls and scratches in nice chrome.
    Older chrome thats already scratched is best to avoid abrasives as well so that the chrome isn't further removed. The chrome plating is extremely thin. Most of the thickness of plating is the Nickel. Very fine 0000 steel wool is handy when its really gummed up but it should be used carefully.

22. funk 49

funk 49

I have been more than happy with the results of semi-chrome for almost 30 years.

23. DrJ

DrJ

I use toothpaste (Colgate is the most aggressive) to polish/finish-sand Alabaster stone sculptures.
    It will definitely "sand" the chrome off!
    Anything called "polish" you should consider "liquid sandpaper" and use it only on things you want to remove a layer of material from.
    You know, like the old lacquer paint job that's been "polished" right down to the primer?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Wash off dirt and grease first. Steel wool is too harsh, I use a copper scrubby pad (3 for a $1 buck at the dollar store) with some Pledge or spray furniture wax. This gets off rust and crud. Wipe clean Then polish up with Flitz, Simichrome or your favorite chrome polish.

25. Tripple G

Tripple G

Kroil is an amazing product, (better than PB Blaster, WD-40, etc.) but I've been unable to find any locally. I use to get it from a contractor friend, but have lost touch with him.....any ideas for a source?

26. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

If you google kanolaboratories their site will come up and you can order direct.

27. comet and 000 steel wool.

28. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i use brass wool & car wax,cleans the rust off & protects too,----2 birds-1 stone thing, it won't remove pits or major scratches {'cause it softer than steel/chrome}it's pretty good at removing 'fly sh*t' rust specks,
    wear gloves 'cause that sh*t will stain the hell out of your hands almost as bad as polishing aluminum,