Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Roadster Poll: WELD-IN DOORS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Mar 5, 2012.

1. We better talk about this!

2. Flush fit the doors a hiden hinges

3. Don't do it. I have a '30 with doors. With a wife and other passengers riding shotgun, the doors are a must have! Doors are the way to go!

4. Damn fellas. I think I'm going to leave the doors operational and next time I'm kinda bored, I'm going to think twice about posting a thread. Points well taken. Thanks.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've only seen two cars I liked with the doors welded shut... Von Franco's Gold T Roadster (Ex-Coupe) and the Silvery Blue T coupe that showed up a few years ago on here, it had a white lift off top and that's how you got in.... Both looked cooler that igloo but I don't think it'd be all that easy to get in and out of either!!

I vote... NO! :D

6. Hang on man, we're just gettin started. Really though, take the time to flush fit them, I did it on mine and it really makes a difference in the way it looks, I always hated the overlap Henry did on those cars, although I do understand why he did it.

7. I suppose that's the best of both worlds. Was it difficult to accomplish?

8. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Please dont do it...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked seriously at this little roadster a year and a half ago when it was up for sale at a pretty good price and the one thing I didn't like was the welded shut doors even though the car had been that way for over 30 years. The other was I didn't want to catch hell from the painter's friends for being the one who stripped the 30+ year old murals off.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't think my 4'10" tall or not so tall wife would be able to get in and out without a lot of fuss.

Unless the car is really low it's going to be a pain in the butt to crawl over the side every time as just about anyone who has ever had a T bucket without doors can testify to.

10. Anderson

Anderson

One more vote for not welding. When I first built my old modified, I was thrashing for a show and didn't have time to do the hinges or latches so I bolted them shut. Climbing in and out sucked!!! A couple months of that was enough to finally do it right.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I would, just to give tribute to stuff they did in the old days and dont anymore, depends on the car 10000% tho

12. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

doors are handy. but i would do this, get it running real good, then weld up the hood.

13. striper

striper

Wow. That's the worst of both worlds. Welded shut doors AND hinges still on.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Just another NO vote.

15. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

no......................

16. For me it was because I have a fiberglass car so I had to make the entire door, frame, skin, hinges, etc. Doing a steel car would take a bit of time also, I helped a friend of mine do his 30 coupe and it took us about 30 hours per door, we cut the door jamb and moved it back to allow the door to fit flush, then had to massage it till it gapped right, it took some time but the results are worth it. The other thing I did when I built mine was to reverse the doors and hung them suicide style for some thing a little different. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

17. RAVENS29

RAVENS29
    from n/a

only did it because its not a real model a , I didn't have doors,(only a cowl) and its 24" to top of door

18. brady1929

brady1929

don't do it. ugly

19. I donno man...I think it depends on the car for sure....

If they're welded up and smoothed out...the overall feel, design and finish of the car would have to be "whole" or "continuous".

Race cars would definately lend themselves to that kind of design. Looks good on some 60's show cars too...

Looks good on some model T's....I really love matt seret's roadster (cut down 26/27 coupe.) Looks killer. He did like what you're talking about with the interior.

But I donno...practicality tells me to say NO...but it all depends.

Are you building to sell? do you have a bunch of other roadsters already?

Go with your vision if you don't need to get your money back, or if you don't need a practical car to put some hard miles on it. know what i mean?

20. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

It's your car but DON'T DO IT! :)

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...And the more I think about it, the more I think of that were filled. This was admittedly an awkward time in the life of a historic roadster ('64), but the doors were filled by Whitey Clayton when he built the old nose, pans, and body work for Eddie Dye in the forties. Still were when Tom Branch had it in the nineties. And how about Jack Callori's car from the forties? those long pipes made the doors non-functional and I'm pretty sure they were filled completely. Just some thoughts.

Attached Files:

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jesus, I'm loosing my mind! I forgot I helped build one about three years ago! It's a deuce, but hey...

Attached Files:

23. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should do it! NO NO NO.

24. A bunch of guys from a club I was in volunteered to have their cars to used to transport the queen and her court for a local high school homecoming game. There was no way a girl could get gracefully in and out of a car with welded closed doors. I don't remember if one of the other cars made a second pass or if one of the cars carried two people but the one with the welded doors was definitely out.

Charlie Stephens

25. If you are building something like this then weld em on up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chics dig it
    [​IMG]

26. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Bad mistake, the door overlap is part of a Model A, might as well buy a cheap glass body without doors and sand it smooth like was suggested earlier

28. I gotta agree %100! If the rest of the car is going to be really special and everything works together...then you end with something like this....WOW. I don't think any self respecting hotrod guy could look at that roadster in person and say ..."nahhh it looks stupid with the doors welded shut" :eek:

29. 54barnfind

54barnfind
    from Indy

A better idea is to put the hinges on the inside and have the open inward......don't do it

30. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

Don't do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!