Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My fleetline no turning back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malibustevens, Jan 31, 2012.

1. GREASER815

GREASER815

Looking good man....keep on pushing through, youll be glad you did after your first night cruising.

2. hotrodracer007

hotrodracer007
    from ohio

ya, you guys are right the panel and braces are expen..I replaced both front floor pans and they were from chevsof the 40's fit great also the braces the rear pans weren't so bad pieced them in..its alot of weldin for sure. if I had to do it again i prob make some of my own sheetmetal..

Attached Files:

• 056.jpg
      056.jpg
      File size:
      361 KB
      Views:
    • 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      317 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      316.6 KB
      Views:
  3. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

yeah but those floors look much better than mine do, like I said before, if I pooped money I would have used them in a heartbeat! But oh well just going to be covered with carpet anyways right?

Did you do the chop? Car looks nice and real man!

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

I had the same exact problem!! Really pissed me off. I also realized (AFTER installing one side) that the bulging part was conveniently warped from the factory! I thought I warped the passenger side installing it but I checked out the driver side straight out of the box and sure enough the damn thing was wavy. I also think the line is off for the transition from the straight to the bulges.
    (Sorry to keep calling them "bulges" - I don't know what else to call the part of the rear fenders that sticks out?).

In any case, kind of soured me on repair panels in general and EMS in particular.

5. ems customer service

ems customer service

sorry to hear about your problem, but if the panels were warped from the factory (yes it does happen and not get noticed prior to shipping) we would have replaced them for you even if you purchased them from dealer, all you have to do is call us. as long as it still has the ems label affixed to it or you have a invioce from the dealer saying it is a ems part we will do the best we can to solve your issue.

still would like to see pic's of the problem

the ems guy

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

==========================================
    we understand your problem and the issue, it was a tooling design problem. it has been covered in detail in another post. in short the flange was not orginally designed to be included in this product cause the guys who were baggin the car were removing it anyways. but there were many call were a bodyshop wanted some type of flange for installation

our inner rocker (inner 1/4?) adjusts for this mis-location and is often sold together.

i hope this help

call us if you have any questions.

the ems guy

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice job. You are doing it right!
    Fleetlines are one cool car!!
    Wish I had kept my '49.
    Cheers........................

8. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

I appreciate the reply. Sorry I have been away from the HAMB; we had a baby the day after I made my original post.
    The outer rocker panels were fine, but the front half of the rear quarter just weren't as nice as I expected: the lower lip was at LEAST an inch or two too deep (just like in the photos posted by malibu) - I had to cut them off and pound out a lip myself - AND the "bulge" area was wavy. It was exactly the same on both sides. Also, the stamping lines are not as crisp as factory: the Chevy quarters are like a crease, while yours are more like a small radius.

Unfortunately, I cut the passenger side fender on my car to use as much of the repair panel as possible and didn't notice the waviness or different line until it was installed. On the driver side I took the opposite approach, cutting your panel down as small as possible to repair the bad areas on my quarter. That worked much, much better.

I am not trying to say your products are junk, only that in this case (1951 Chevy lower front half of rear quarters) the stamping does not match factory lines perfectly and does not match your own outer rocker panels, which had about the right amount of lower lip on them if I recall correctly.

I'm sure it's hard to stamp them out perfectly, and I'd use EMS again in a heartbeat for smaller and/or structural parts like the rockers, but I might have taken a different approach to a large area like the rear quarter if I'd known beforehand that they would not be quite 100% as original.

10. 68vette

68vette

I have been working on my 49 fleetline for months now....was lucky...rockers were in pretty good shape...bottom of rear fenders were bad under the rock shields and some rust in the tail pan....one door and one fender has a 2 inch patch, other two are good and straight as is the trunk and hood....trunk area is great....the worse on mine was around the front windshield...mine came from Ringold, Ga...it was a one owner with 75M miles on it...I worked on it after dragging it back to NC for about a month and drove it for a year before taking it completely apart.

In progress it has frenched headlights, frenched 59 caddys, shaved trunk and hood, will have a 283, 700R, p trunk, has TCI Mustang II, will have posies, s-10 rear end, etc....

I need to put some photos on the photo website so I can share with you guys...

11. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

More repairs now for the passengers side, wont be so bad, at least I think, needed a brace to be made for the rear floor. Turned out okay, works and its a lot cheaper than buying one.

Now to repair rear floor while I wait for the outer rocker and lower quarter.
    hope it goes as good as the drivers side, I want to get it on the road but still needs the driveline and elect. lines breaks ect.

All the other hambers fixing rusty cars keeps me motivated.

And I am just trying to spread the curse.......

12. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

13. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Man, I know what that feels like to find that waiting in the garage! One patch at a time...

14. tbird37821

tbird37821

15. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

T bird....thats some nice work, yet another to keep me motivated.
    Made the rear outer brace this weekend and installed the inner rockers. Pics will come as soon as I have finished a bit more.

16. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Keep on truckin Dave it looks great...my 50 Fleetline is getting some of the same floor work yours is. I'll get some pics to gether soon. Mark

17. rebstew187

rebstew187

Looks like you are making her solid again. Keep up the good work.

18. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Here's a before and during (ain't done yet). Using all EMS panels though Chevs of the 40's and they fit great. When the floor is done I'm going to get after the suspension and brakes and get it down as low as I can with out bags and too much cutting. ;)

Attached Files:

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

[​IMG]

^^^nice to see they are making some good floors.

had a guy come by with a 52 convertible to get new floors put in... the fronts were stamped like original, but the rears were flat sheet with weak beads cut into them... same with the trunk floor he bought. useless garbage. probably could have bought a full 4 x 8 sheet for what he paid for this crap.

buyer beware in floors and trunk pans.

20. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I finished the bracing and the floors yesterday, need to post the pics but getting them off my phone is a pain in the ass........Will try to post soon. I am happy with the choice I made to make rather than buy the pans and bracing, maybe a bit more work but I am a better welder than when I started and my wallet is happier!

All that is left to do is paint the floors and seam seal the bottom. Some day when I have carpet nobody will know I did anything to the floors.

Now to start on the rocker and quarter and I can finally start putting the car together, suspension engine swap and wiring, hope to drive this thing before the end of summer and go to the iron invasion in October, keep me motivated guys!

21. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

some pics of the bracing I had to make along with the mounting locations for the seat.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

And the finished product! I am happy I chose this route and think it looks and will work just fine.

What do you guys think about it?

[​IMG]

23. Looks great. You're making a lot of progress, good job.

24. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Wish i could get motivated and use this free time tonight........but instead im drinking beer and stuffing my face with pizza. Its not even good pizza......

I should just go in the garage.

25. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Good thing about bad pizza... its still pizza. Nice work on the floors, you're kicking butt on your Fleetline and inspiring us all. Keep it up!

26. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Almost done with the patch panels, just a small one at the front of the quarter left, than I can finally start to get this thing back together! Should be posting pics soon. My computer took a dump so its been awhile.

How is your projects coming along? I need some motivation!

27. outlaw256

outlaw256

i think your doing pretty damn good.looks alot better dont it. lot of work but oh when its done!!we have had some really bad luck with replacement panels and rear quarters lately. i cant remember the names but they all came from different shops.on a 67 impala we are building for my wife the rear quarter wouldnt line up at all and the body lines where way off.bought at different places but made by the same manufacturer.ended up cutting them to peices and lining things up that way. pain in the ass when you gotta do both sides. and them thing are long.

28. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I hear ya outlaw! I have a 67chevelle and need to replace the passenger side quarter sail panel and all, this is good practice I guess. Just hope on a more popular car like a chevelle the panel will fit better......but sounds like it wont. If you can find out who the manufacturer was let me know so I don't use them!

Taking a brake from the 50 for a few, just finishing up the patch panels and I am done with the metal work for now.

29. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Finished the floors and painted them. Also finished the wheel opening and lower quarter patch along with the outer rocker.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

30. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

My daughter is almost as excited as me! Thought you guys might like this.

[​IMG]