Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rodding a '34 Reo Coupe, any advice??

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by alparkes, Jan 6, 2012.

1. alparkes

alparkes

HI, I'm Al, I've got a '34 Reo Flying Cloud that's seen 99.5% garage time and no drive time. Way underpowered with original 68hp, 260 cu.in. chrome nickel block. Has a 2-speed "Self Shifter" that maxes out around 50mph. Finally decided to dispense with original condition in favor of making it drivable. Don't have the cash to make it a real show rod, just would like some suggestions on a good motor, trans, and gear box that would work well, still allow the car to appear original on the outside but I could drive it as often as I please. Thanks for reading. New to HAMB so not sure I got the format right.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      499.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      506.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      501.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Ghost28

Ghost28

Welcome to the HAMB.
    Damn that car is nice and restorers are gonna hate you, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Actually this is the intro section and that being said. If you want advise on your project from the masses go to the main page or the message board and post your question again.
    Good luck. John

3. Welcome aboard! Great car, but hate to see you change it up to much!

4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Welcome from Kentucky.... :cool:

5. Welcome from Rockmart GA. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup and Ozelle the '55 Ford send friendly horn honks to you and that beautiful Reo. would be nice to keep it original but it will be way more fun to drive hot rodded.

6. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I wouldn't hot rod that one if I were you. They only made a few 34 Flying Cloud coupes. I think only 5 or so are known to exist now. The 34 REO is my favorite car of all time as weird as that may sound. I know they used a 5 on 5-1/2inch bolt pattern just like the older Ford stuff. I used a 1960's Bronco rear end in mine and it plopped right in. I could keep up with traffic on the interstate then- kind of. The old Lockheed front brakes actually stopped me pretty decently too once I changed out the plugged up rubber brakes hoses. Just so you know, all the hard brake lines in the car are copper tubing from the factory. That is a no no. I was even able to buy a new master cylinder for it from Napa- they said it was the same as a International Scout.
    Jason

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

WOW, that is a great car no matter which way you go.

8. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome from Indiana.

9. AGY mechanic

AGY mechanic

That things special just the way it is. Enjoy it.

10. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

hi there what a great car, i understand what you are saying re not fun to drive, so make it drivable repower it and have fun but hey it looks so great as is why would you change the exterior but remember its your car do what you like with it