Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me because I'm dumb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C. Montgomery, Mar 5, 2012.

1. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Is this a thermal or non-thermal fan clutch? I'm having a hell of a time finding the correct one for my chrysler wagon with a 413 in it. There are apparently 3. Two thermal types heavy duty and standard and then a no thermal one. The 4 different thermal ones i have tried do not fit. Too close to the radiator

Attached Files:

2. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

The one pictured is a thermal fan, usually used in an air conditioned car. The spring senses temp and makes the fan "engage". Clutch fans have no spring.

3. F&J

F&J

Thermal has a bi-metallic coil spring on the front, which I "think" I can see in the first pic.

Non thermal have no spring.

Normally, where I live, I'd say go with the non thermal as they are sometimes thinner, but you are in Texas, AND a 413, seems like a thermal would be a better choice for extreme heat issues.

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Thanks! So I'm not going crazy! All the parts stores here pretty much have the same ones. The thermal ones are all taller (puts it closer to the radiator) than the one that went out. How close is too close to the radiator?

5. squirrel

squirrel

half an inch would be minimum, an inch would be better....the engine moves around.

6. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Thats what I was thinking. But the ones I can get around here are more like 1/4-3/8" away. Don't know. Im at a loss.

7. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Anybody have any ideas on finding the correct one? I want to drive my freaking car!! I can't find one anywhere that is far enough away from the radiator.

8. try don knopp
    37317 Niles Boulevard
    Fremont,CA94536-(510) 792-4390

9. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Thanks. I'll try him. I'm getting frustrated over this. I don't know what to do. All the parts stores say what I bought is the correct one, but it isnt. Seriously considering doing away with the clutch altogether.

10. squirrel

squirrel

I found a dimension list of them when I was looking for a long one to clear my blower drive, but that was about 15 years ago. See if you can find a parts store that has a book you can look at.

It's possible that they don't make many different sizes any more, because new cars have that electric fan crap on them.

11. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Thanks. I'll try that. Pretty much everyone has a computer with pictures and thats it.

12. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

it appears I found one that may fit. now to find a parts store that has one. Squirrel- the Hayden website has thier whole catalog with all dimensions online gives length, depth, diameter and fan bolt circle size. it appears one off a 1990 jag will fit. shortest one available.

13. squirrel

squirrel

If it's an old number, look on ebay for it, there are lots of new old stock replacement parts there.

14. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

i'm just impatient, everyone can have one tomorrow, but that's not soon enough dammit! :rolleyes:

15. Digging a hole in the fins is too close, I have run them ( MOPAR Thermal) with just enough room to get my finger between there, buit an inch to an inch and a half is where I would prefer mine to be.

16. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery