Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for 1960's built tri-5 chevy's!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sledbuilder, Mar 5, 2012.

1. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

hey guy's getting ready to tear into my 57' chev. I wanna do a real 60's style hot rod...NOT gasser Not custom.. I don't have much of anything magazine wise that has old photo's of these type cars. This will be a budget build, i have some parts, and the car is complete and runs...great! butit needs to be freshened up. Sooooo I figured throw this up here and see what you guy's may have scanned on to your computers. I did a few searches but I'm getting mainly gassers(which i like but). thanks in advance!

Jason
    -here is a shot of the 57' I'm starting with.

Attached Files:

wicarnut likes this.
  2. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

A few of my 55

Attached Files:

wicarnut likes this.
  3. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

sledbuilder
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7529709", true); </SCRIPT>
    I think I understand what you are looking for as far as 60's style Hot rods go.

Its a hard look to achieve..

Some chrome reverse rims and some baby moons,
    or
    a set of SS cragar (sp) with painted rear wheels.!

Like I say ,Its a hard looks to get...
    BUT I know for sure its NOT like
    nwbhotrod<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7529810", true); </SCRIPT>

Which is VERY nice in its own right !

BUT AGAIN
    nwbhotrod<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7529810", true); </SCRIPT>

Is more of a pro street look
    AND nwbhotrod
    I'ved looked over admired your car many many times ,Beautiful 55 ,I love it....

Its not the 6o's look at all.....
    Not to HJ....

I believe the 60's was just real plain and simple ,
    later 60's got into some lace paints and flash..

MY two cents anyway.
    Chuck.........

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Try 58 Plymouth hub caps. This one is from 1968. Sold it to go on vacation in south east asia. Wish I put it in storage.

Pat

Attached Files:

5. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

here is a 55' and 57' that i'm thinking has it... i'm really interested in original photo's from the 60-70's too...

the 55 was found on this site, the 57' is a car local to my area.. it was built and street raced in the 60's.. member tony knows the car too... def. real deal material.

Attached Files:

6. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Really well Chuck when did a 327 Muncie four Speed 1957 Ford 9in readend louverd hood smothd bumber all old school stuff become pro street as for the wheels there Mehalich try and find a set of those

7. F&J

F&J

Here in the east, in any part of the 60s, they never sat like that car. I doubt anywhere on the planet they sat like that in the 60s. Yes the dechromed hood is right, though:D

8. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

MY MAN!!!! That is it!

9. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

You boys need to out to calif in the 1960s. thats where it was at and still is

10. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

nwbhotrod<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7530788", true); </SCRIPT>

I said It IS a nice car !

IT'S just not 60's style build !

Show me some 60's pictures of any street car or race car that was lowered and sat
    like yours in the 60's to late 60's,
    In the later years they would have been FX OR ALTERED....

Don't mean much to me ,You have a nice car NOW,
    enjoy it....

AGAIN my two cents..........

Chuck..

11. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Your car is NICE ,Don't get me wrong,
    Its just not set up like a 60's street car was,PERIOD!

AGAIN my two cents...
    Chuck....

12. Rebracer

Rebracer

A 1960s 55-57 would not be lowered, I am sure you are aware of that, a street car would not have been set up as a gasser either. It can be a difficult look to peg exactly as you can easily make a 1965 style car vs a 1967 style car simply by what wheels you use. The interior and engine trim makes all the difference as well. I am actually in the process of swapping my cragars for chrome oe wheels that will level out the rake on my 55 a bit, this will be the difference from the 68-69 style as she sits now to more of a early mid 60s style. I have the original interior style interior so that keeps it from looking dated as is the case with some 1970s or worse 80s interiors that will ruin the 1960s look you are going for.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since my first car was a '57 Chevy Belaire and that was in 1966, I can tell you what almost everyone wanted in my high school. Chrome reversed wheels with baby moons, and if they were the rims that accepted small baby moons they were even cooler!
    We also had the rake downhill, so most used either re-arced rear springs or long shackles to raise the back. Of course raising the frront was very popular too, but since you don't want the gasser look you probably wont raise the front.
    Another very popular change on a '57 was to remove the hood ornaments and get the bolt in fillers that rounded the hole over, then have them filled and painted to match the hood.
    As for the drivetrain, we all wanted a hot 283, or better yet a 327, and 1.94 fuelers were a must have if you could afford them. Plus a nice aluminum Weiand or edelbrock intake and a 4 barrel. 4 on the floor was really great, and most guys laughed at anyone stuck with an automatic because it was most likely a Powerglide.

henryj1951 likes this.
  14. Dzus

Dzus

Chrome reverses or chrome slots in the rear. Torque Thrusts, Cragar's, or some other cast spoke rim on the front.

15. Rebracer

Rebracer

Another misconception people have in my opinion is that everything should be shaved off of the car, the type of car you want to build is a street hot rod not a custom, keep the trim and handles, as money in those days would have been diverted to the engine and running gear not fancy body work.

16. Rebracer

Rebracer

^^^^100% correct, a four speed is a must

17. pie crust cheaters on stock wheels and 14s on Amercan TTs is a good 60s look ...

When a 60s kid bought wheels and tires it was front first and later the rears ... seldom did anyone show up with a matched size (f &r) setup ... ALWAYS littles and bigs.

18. ... and pull the front bumper and go with nerf bars or a chrome tube between the horns

19. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Well i am sitting here in So Cal as i type this and grew up here in the 60s. most all the Bitchen Cars were lowerd in the early 60s later the Gasser look took over. We all wanted nice Wheels Chrome Interior but no had the money. I am old enough to rember and trust me there were lots of Tickets for cars to low

20. nwb ... not to dispute but you might be confusing the customs with the hotrods. We had "power rakes" that came from front coil spring spacers ... the more radical "gasser look" was from running tube axles but generally the only time a tri-f was lowered it was by running 14s on the front and the rear remaining "jacked" .... but that was San Diego. I dont remember many tri-5 customs there ... SF loved em (and those guys liked convertibles also!) but not San Diego .... I dont recall LA's scene but I think it was pretty much the same as SD.

I think Rebracers avatar is a good example off 60s socal stance.

21. Abomb

Abomb

22. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Bingo! with the ImageMaker. Lighten up,Joe. sheeezz.:confused:

23. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Who me

24. This is a perfect description of 60s and very early 70s 57 chevs in my area (Portland,Or). Not everyone had it all but that was sought after "look". And of course a set of corvette ave covers to back up the its a vette motor BS, much like the ford guys did with the t-bird valve covers.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Growing up in La Mirada in the 60s, I was just a little tyke but I remember that my 2 older brothers cars and their friends cars were pretty much stock except for chrome reverse rims (same size all around, no big n little's) and the 3 spoke black steering wheel. Simple

26. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

Lets get some more photo's posted too...

Abomb, that car has it!

27. 55chevr

55chevr

60-s hot rods had Cragers or at the least chrome reversed wheels ... Joe

28. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

yep, i have a set of 15x4 cragars going on the front.

29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This one was built in the '60 (middle pic) and revamped threw the years.
    301, 4 speed, 4:11

Attached Files:

30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A friends '57 in Everett Wa.

You will find all you need at trifive or on Chevy Talk forums......................

Attached Files: