Register now to get rid of these ads!

Phil Remington's Modified is finished...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Jun 10, 2010.

1. I think the dark blue is cool but I prefer the white/blue #19 combo better but that maybe because I have a 8x10 print on a sideboard in my room.

2. There is nothing comparable, to the pure beauty of a Dan Webb built "Masterpiece"! Thank You Ashley, for the great build pics posted on that other site. http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/AshleyWebb/vehicles/25848
    Thank your Dad too, for helping preserve our hot rod heritage, with such inspiring builds. :D:eek::D

3. ash

ash
    from Detroit

The only thing is that the car was dark blue and yellow, it was when they were experimiting with color for pictures (so it turned out white). And we didn't think blue and yellow would be pretty ugly on it. And Phil said it didn't run very good when it was blue and yellow and the dark blue and number 14B was the car Phil wanted us to re-create (he liked it the best.)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  4. sota

sota

Another GREAT build Dan!!!

5. Stunning. Love to hear that baby..

6. Interesting sidenote, thanks! If Phil says so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Foul

Foul

<strike>Already under way, from what I hear.</strike>

Scratch that, it's done, and will be debuting at LARS this weekend too.

dan

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  8. Kulturepimp

Kulturepimp

Dan and Team out did themselves once again. Very beautiful cant wait to see it later this week in person.

9. hemifarris

hemifarris

I don't think that McKee took the photos. I asked Dan and he doesn't know who McKee is. Maybe he got them from another site.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dan is pretty private. He knows what's cool. Doesn't care what other people think. He builds what HE wants to build. He has the talent and resources to do so. He's one of my mentors because of this. The Remington is bad ass. Leave it at that.

11. lorodz

lorodz

sweet looking ride ....congrats

12. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Beautiful car with awesome workmanship.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I haven't seen mention of it afer the LARS.. did the new car make the museum display? If so, did anyone get pix of the display? Gary

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Matt and I were at the museum party and the car is flawless (for better or worse) in every way and the craftsmanship is phenomenal. Matt got photos, I did not.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx... waiting to see the pic.

Just wondering, is it my imagination, or is the HAMB kinda slow today. I think you guys are all at Barret Jackson, right? With so much car stuff to do in LA over the last few weeks, doesn anyone get anything else done? Gary

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Fuck Barrett Jackson. That auction has done more to screw up our hobby in the last few years than anything else.

I'll prod Matt to post his pics.

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx again... Gary

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm wondering if the frame is painted the same blue or if it's black? Looks like the majority of parts are blue.

Anyone know? I haven't seen any photos that have given me the answer.

19. ash

ash
    from Detroit

It's all blue looks like black. If anyone wants to see the car or the Golden Sub we built it will be in the NHRA Museum for a few more weeks than they will travel to Vegas for SEMA.

20. ash

ash
    from Detroit

Saturday, Jan. 29 @ 4 p.m.
    Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum presented by Automobile Club of Southern California
    Admission is free and open to the public
    Hear tall tales and bench racing exploits from some of the original members of the Low Flyers of Santa Monica - one of hot rodding's earliest and most important car clubs. Join us at the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum on Saturday, Jan. 29 at 4 p.m. with moderators Museum Chairman Alex Xydias and Jim Miller, son of Eddie Miller Jr, original Low Flyers member. Stuart Hilborn, Phil Remington, Dick "Magoo" Megugorac, and Bob Wenz will reminisce of their car club days and hot rodding adventures. Admission is free, courtesy of Dan Webb, who recently re-created the Phil Remington Modified!

The Low Flyers of Santa Monica was a very competitive dry lakes racing club that reached prominence in the immediate post-World War II era. An incredible number of auto racing luminaries came from the club including Stu Hilborn, inventor of the fuel injection system that bears his name, and famed cam grinder Jack Engle. Phil Remington, instrumental in the development of the Cobra and Ford GT-40, and Indy 500 winning mechanics Jim Travers and Frank Coon were also members. After winning back-to-back 500s with Bill Vukovich in 1953 and &#8217;54, Travers and Coon formed Traco Racing Engines and were responsible for winning entries for customers such as Roger Penske, Lance Reventlow and Jim Hall. America&#8217;s first World Driving Champion Phil Hill once remarked that as a young man growing up in Santa Monica, he was in awe of the Low Flyers.

The Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum is located at 1101 W. McKinley Ave., Building 3A, Pomona CA, 91768. For more information, contact the Museum at 909-622-2133, or visit http://museum.nhra.com.

21. mgermca

mgermca

This Phil Remington? Read more about him on Dan's website. That's Dan Gurney's AAR website BTW...

http://www.allamericanracers.com/rem/rem-pr.html

The master turned 90 just a couple days ago. Happy birthday Mr Remington!

Always great stuff on the HAMB.

22. JackieTreehorn

JackieTreehorn

Any one have an idea when this car will be on public display again? I have a couple of relatives who have worked with Remington at Shelby and AAR and I would love to check out this car in person.

23. I thought I saw it in some pics of the NHRA museum from GNRS?

24. ash

ash
    from Detroit

Hey it comes back home next week sometime, so catch it this weekend or early next week

25. hasty

hasty

Immaculate. Just stunning.

26. Bodger45

Bodger45

I love this car.

27. dracko

dracko
    from Canada

Damn that thing is gorgeous. Does anybody know the name of the Blue paint they used? Found that it is DuPont paint on the Webb site, but not sure if its a custom mix.

28. ash

ash
    from Detroit

It was a 40 Ford color

29. dracko

dracko
    from Canada

Okay thanks for the lead, did a search and its Ford 1940 Lyon Blue.

Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012