Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Official 60-66 C-10 Chevy Truck Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, May 8, 2006.

1. wolfex1

wolfex1

Although I can't answer your question, I'll comment. Because Chevy bell housings and transmissions of all sorts seem to match up, I'd look for another transmission, even if it's not the same transmission type. Three speeds, four speeds all bolt up to the bell housing. If the splines on the input shaft aren't the same, you might have to change out the clutch disk to match. But, on the other hand, if you don't have the availability of spare parts in Austrailia, maybe a rebuild kit is the best option. Is there such a thing as a rebuild kit? I know I don't have the skills to rebuild one. There are more parts than a swiss watch. ~Wolfex1

2. Love the bed.

3. wolfex1

wolfex1

Tks! WX1

4. chevytrucknut

chevytrucknut

Yes. But there are differances. Front mount is same spot but the truck frame has a ridgid mount and suburban is vulcanized, rear cab mounts are missing and the sub frame is longer for the rear bumper.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

The rebuild kit is about $115.00+postage and has all the seals synchro rings bearings etc and I know an older retired mechanic who said he would be more than happy to teach me how to do it.I love learning about this older stuff plus it is my best and cheapest option at the moment .So my question still remains ..Are there different saginaw 4 speeds ,say 8 or 6cyl models ? and if so which would mine be? Thanks for the suggestion though .A bit spendy for me at the moment though A 5speed would be good in the future

6. Derf in Ky

Derf in Ky

Just bought a 65 and was wondering if anyone could tell me what size door poppers would work? Thanks for the help

7. malex:.

malex:.
    from L.A.

thanks!!!! big help...now to go find a suburban!!!

8. wolfex1

wolfex1

No doubt, I'd go with the rebuild kit, if for no other reason than to have the opportunity to be taught how to do it. Seems like whoever you are ordering the kit from would tell you how to determine which transmission you have, if there is a difference. ~WX1

9. SickBoy66

SickBoy66
    from Eugene, OR

This may be of help...

Saginaw Transmission Gear Ratio Identification.

Saginaw 3-speed 1st 2nd 3rd
    No Lines (grooves on the input shaft) 2.85 1.68 1.00
    1 Line (groove ) 2.54 1.50 1.00
    2 Lines (grooves) 3.11 1.84 1.00
    3 Lines (grooves) 3.50 1.89 1.00
    Others found but not with complete specs:
    ------------------2.54 1.88 1.00

Saginaw 4-speed 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
    No lines (grooves) 2.84 2.01 1.35 1.00
    1 Line (groove ) 2.54 1.80 1.44 1.00
    2 Lines (grooves) 3.11 2.20 1.47 1.00
    3 Lines (grooves) 3.50 2.47 1.65 1.00
    Others found but not with complete specs:
    -------------------2.20 1.64 1.47 1.00

10. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Do you mean door poppers for shaved door handles? If so I would go with heavy duty poppers because older cars have pretty heavy doors. Just a warning though, door poppers SUCK! I've had them and I even spent a lot of money on the good ones and they are always a pain in the ass... If its for something you don't drive often then they are ok but I personally will never shave door handles on anything again. Unless its for someone else and they pay me well :)

11. Derf in Ky

Derf in Ky

Thanks zippeay for the advice. When i bought the truck, the door handles had already been shaved. i have been debating on putting handles back on or getting the popper kit.

12. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

No problem man, I thought shaved handles looked so cool but after dealing with all the problems with the poppers I figured I should save someone some heartache. The bad thing is that shaved handles are fairly popular "not so much now as 5-10 years ago" but unless you are real good with a slim-jim you have to hide a seperate button in case the remote doesn't work. The bad thing about that is most people that know cars know that and it opens a door for people wanting to steal your truck. That is the biggest reason I don't like them.

13. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

here is a good thread with pics, it should be on top of the lh framerail right in front of the control arm, and right in front of the rear cab mount.
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=316902

14. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Just a heads up if anybody is looking. My c10 is up for sale in the classifieds.
    [​IMG]

15. Deadbird

Deadbird

TubularGoose - What a bummer that you're selling the truck. Maybe I ought to buy it for my son. It would be a good match for mine.

[​IMG]

16. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Yeah after seein yours I shouldn't be in to big of hurry to get rid of it, but two houses to remodel, other projects, and the wife say other wise!

17. wolfex1

wolfex1

Update

Attached Files:

18. 50F3PU

50F3PU
    from nc

Im gonna try and post a couple pics of my 62, I've had it about a year now.

Attached Files:

19. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

#2313 induced projectile vomiting.

20. wolfex1

wolfex1

Gee, thanks! You're number one in my book too!

21. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Welcome to the HAMB, the most opinionated auto forum, anywhere.

:D

-W

22. wolfex1

wolfex1

Yes, this forum is full of experts. I am fortunate to have my build scrutinized by members such as this, obviously with far more talent , ability, and taste. Thanks to intervention by this well meaning builder/designer, I have decided to have this ilconceived project of mine crushed and recycled, and I will return back to the knitting web-site. Sniffle, sniffle:(

23. DRTYRAT30

DRTYRAT30
    from Nor Cal

My 63' Simple Green

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevs56 likes this.
  24. jason65

jason65

Nice truck DRTYRAT.

25. dearbird,
    This was my favorite color for these trucks. I actually didn't look as good until it faded. I have owned more C-10s over the years than I care to admit and of all of them the red ones always look the best to me.

Nice truck looks good and solid, not the usual rust along the backs of the fenders.

26. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

I do love the car in your avatar though.......:)

27. Deadbird

Deadbird

Thanks porknbeaner. I'm kinda partial to it too. Just wish I could afford to drive it every day again. It used to be my daily but with $4 gas and a 30 minute commute, it's gotta sit more. My son is driving it more than me these days. He says it's the coolest truck at the high school.

It's got its rust issues. Not as bad as some I've seen.

28. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Simple green! Freakin lovin that truck! Bamboo!? Ha awesome.
    Wolfex1 man I'm not one to judge another's hard work. I know how much work goes into these things, but man the bed is killin it.

29. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Deadbird, don't know where your son goes to school, but hands down the coolest truck at his highschool. Then again I may be bias haha

30. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

1965 C 10.jpg
    fresh paint