Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 chevy wagon in progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Walls, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thanks chad , there is sooooooo much time in that, that ive actually lost count:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: but after seeing it today im really happy with the way it turned out .

aney ways dont you have a deadline or something :Dlol

2. This thing makes me smile.. great update!

3. Dorrier kustom

Dorrier kustom

Talk about a dramatic end to a primer job! Lol its looking really good.

4. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

i feel the same way about your build, jay

thanks

5. I can't believe I haven't found this thread before! Dude! You got some mean-ass fab skills and great ideas too! Keep going and keep posting. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

6. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, love the Monday updates, car looks great, sorry about the motor on the compressor,but at least you finished. Only negative thing I got to say is: I'm glad I don't have to pay your chrome bill :rolleyes::rolleyes:...Jim

7. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Primer looks great, the details, the stance, the lines....

This car is gonna be the best 59 ever.

Your dedication is noteworthy for us all!

8. Wow, now you've got a semi-flamed primer job !!! :cool:

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man that flew right out the window!!! I'm still working on the coupe but it won't be at LSR and I won't either! :( Still making headway on it though... sat down with the Upholstery guy last friday!! ;)

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That hood looks so great. Seriously. I'm in love with it.

And the wagon attached to it.

11. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

I here that quite offten , with so many othe amazing builds here on the hamb i guess it just gets lost in the pages at time , thanks for the compliement .:D
    hey jim, they cant all last forever, lol, but yes atleast i finished , i was sweating bulliets tho:eek:, on to the chrome yah im not looking forward to that bill ither , i guess thats why im trying to take the time out straighting and smoothing out the parts as much as i can so hopefully it will knock down the price a little bit , because lord know i have a lot of thing to get re-chrome.

thanks bones, i dont know about it being best 59 ever but i think it will be pretty cool when its done:cool: .

lol :D:eek::eek::eek:

lol i totally understand chad , atleast your still on it, i cant wait to see it finished ,
    Thanks Mathew , im pretty happy with the way it turned out too :D

12. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

So i spent most of the entire weekend down at the shop working on the wagon , and of corse most of that time involved sanding , but on a good note both the driver and passanger sides are ready for paint , i still have to do a little more work to the roof and i havn't even started on the hood , i wont be painting this thing for a while but as soon as it get it on and off the rotissare ill be spraying it , also i got a chance to take off the doors and fenders so it made me feel like atleast some progress was getting done , so by today my arms were killing me and i decided to clean up the door jams and finish some of the things thats were left unwelded , also news on the motor , with the head work done , and the number fugared out , it bumpend the 292 compression up to 9.5:1 .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here's to show u guys i cant go aney lower
    [​IMG]

<TABLE cellPadding=6 width=750><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

13. countryjay

countryjay

very nice wagon i hope someone buys mine and it gets a good home think i am gonna just drive mine until some one buys her, but the hood looks really nice....country jay

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm so itching to see this baby done.

15. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, I see at least a 3/16" clearance there, go ahead an drop it:eek::D. With the fender removed you can really see how low it is, nice job....Jim

16. gibby64

gibby64
    from East Texas

Did drop spindles alone allow you to get that low? (with bags of course)... or did you have to modify the a-arms and notch the pockets?... just curious cause I still have stock spindles on my '58 with hydros and have a little shorter tire then you and my a-arm has bottomed out on the frame with about 1.5" left of clearance... wondering if just spindles would take it the rest of the way.... but then i have to get disk brakes (ehhh)... thinking about just notching and reinforcing the pocket where the a-arm hits to get a little lower.

17. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Thanks ,your wagon looks solid man why get rid of it ?

You and me both nads :D

I'll add that right to the list of things to do jim lol .:D

gibby i used drop spindles and bags , i didnt modify the a arms , and i only noched the frame where the bag would rub , , when its layed out the a arms just about touch the frame , but i cant completely lay it because the tires are so tall and they hit the inner fenderwells before the frame bottoms out , same goes for the rear , but everything is verry close also i channeled the wagon 2 inches:D . now the rear was a little more intense :eek:.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I dig the Sunbeam, customer car?

19. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

I dig it too nads , yah it's a customer car , were droping in a 302 , mustang 2 and some other odds and ends but nothing too crazy . :eek::D

20. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I just spent the morning reading this entire thread. I really dig your build and the skills with which it is being done. I can't wait to see more...

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I like the big fin Sunbeams the best, it's a great body style, the Tigers are tame looking in comparison.

22. DrJ

DrJ

Having owned a '65 Sunbeam Alpine, I'm partial to the more refined taillight treatment of the later cars.
    The way the two gas tanks are siamesed together by a hose runnin through the rolled pan under te bumper is kind of scary, though it does make for a large trunk.

23. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I know I probably have said this before, but this is one of my favorite builds on here. Long live the long roofs!

Awesome Avatar. Vitamin R for the win!

24. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Don't know how the hell I missed this thread, Cody, but what a killer build you've got going! I agree with everyone, that hood treatment looks amazing! I'll be keeping up on this one! Excellent work!

25. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Thank you for taking the time out to go threw all of it . im glad u like it so far .

me toooooooooooooo nads :D
    Thank you

thanks

26. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Monday update time again , so over the past week i got a bunch of stuff in the mail, including my front shocks relocator kit from air ride , yah i could have made the brackets from scratch but i fugared it would be a lot quicker this way , and it was, i had the front done in an hour , and i spent the rest of the day finishing up a lot of loose ends and sanding some more parts , so if everything goes right i should have the body off the frame in a couple of week :D,at home im still metal finishing parts and getting things ready to be sent out to be chromed ., so now onto the interior , latley ive been racking my brain over this and at first for the longest time i
    was just going to run a stock 59 impala interior ,but after seeing almost 59 with one i know i cant got that route, so then i thought ill go white tuck n roll it would fit the car , but almost every custom i see has white tuck ad roll , which there is nothing wrong with stock or white tuck and roll i just know i want something different somthing that will fit the car and i came across this pic some where but i cant remember where but i thought it was pretty awesome it would fit and its a little different , so im leaning towards something like this for the interior . but im not 100% for shure yet . so let me know what you guys think ? its the only pic of this interior that i could find i wish i could find more but i think you guys get the point ,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i had to cut down the bracket 2 inches to make the shocks travel lthe same lengtht as what the a arm is <TABLE cellPadding=6 width=750><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

27. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, I like the door panel, but I don't like the 2" wide pleat in the center section and outside sections of the seat. Just not my thing, I think a flat panel would look better. My 2 cents (worth about -.20 cents). Like the shock setup.....Jim

28. The interior design is a little too busy for me, but thats a subjective kind of thing.

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Hi Cody, Since the rest of your is so unique, i think something like the one in the picture would be the way to go. Not sure the 3 tone is needed, and i think the two tone wheel looks better that the all white.
    If you are taking the same route as the other pictures "including my front shocks re-locator kit from air ride , yeah i could have made the brackets from scratch but i figured it would be a lot quicker this way , and it was, i had the front done in an hour" on the interior, and not doing it yourself, you may just want to check in with some of the HAMB'ers who do this.
    My guess there will be some who will take one look at your car and say, oh yeah, i want to do the interior (may be at a sweet deal), this thing is going to get me some good publicity. Keeping in mind there are guys who are to stitching what you are to fabrication.
    my 2 cents worth.
    i am still thinking of trying to make mine just for the experience, but will probably not. There is no doubt in my mind it will be way more involved than the door panels i did, but i liked the way they turned out.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515807

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I had a 62 Impala with hydraulics many years ago, I didn't build it, it was a real piece of shit, it had no shock absorbers up front, the ride was 'interesting.'