Register now to get rid of these ads!

So they ask, what will it take to buy your car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

I was at a local cruse few years back, A guy came over to talk to me hornier than a two peckered owl wanting my truck! Offered me a lot of dough, I could have built two more trucks like it for the price. But I was in the middle of a ugly sepperation with the X, The only thing keeping my sanity was the toys. I found a replacement truck a few months later same body style ect, baught it. Then set out for the guy with more money than brains. Guess he sobered up on the price he was willing to pay. Now I have 2 cool trucks!

2. $ 22,500.00. Cash. No sentiment, no strings. I'll start over. Everythings for sale with the exception of my car club plaque, it was my dads and that stays with me. On the other hand, if I never sell it that's fine, I enjoy having it around. Here's some pics in case anyone wants to test me on this one.

Attached Files:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All bullshit aside there is no car that can't be bought if the timing and offer are right.

My 51 Merc coupe that I had bought as a sophomore in high school and had for 32 years was one of those "will never sell it" cars that got sold because of life situations and a cash offer at the right time.

For those who say that their cars aren't for sale at any price I hope the time and situation never comes when you have to take that "too good" offer and let the car go.

4. vert1940

vert1940

i must be doing it wrong....the question to me is...How many people have made an offer on your car?....or How many offers have you turned down?...truth is ...I've only had one offer ,and that was by a homeless man pushing a cart....the car is my 40 merc convertible...

5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

20k cash is what I would have to have for the 56... 10k for my 54 buick...

6. I'd be happy to sit down with you and add up my receipts. Assuming you're still sitting there once I'm done, that's my number.

7. I don't know what you have,( slimegreeeeeen) but to sell it for the total of your receipts, ( no labor ) would be a steal for someone.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  8. Mattilac

Mattilac

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go back and read the first post, the OP is not talking about a dire family need situation, he's talking about an out-an-out greed situation: you're with your car and everythnig is fine in your life and someone with more money than sense wants your car. That's the scenario and the answer is still no: there are cars that can't be bought.

10. 65Coronet500

65Coronet500

I was offered $10k for our 65 Coronet in real rough shape a few years ago. We were in the hurt bag financially. I still said no. I would have had to get $80k for it since my mom and owned it first (both still living), my brother, sister and I grew up with it. AND my 3 kids plan to keep racing it, long after I'm gone.

My answer is that she is not realistically for sale. The only reason she does not have a name is that she has not told us what it is, yet. We keep waiting! :) We do know her last name though... $110k should handle adoption proceedings though.

11. S.F.

S.F.

yeah moneys stupid...so is owning a house, equity, food, piece of mind, supporting a family, and buying cool stuff....yea, fuck money.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  12. metalshapes

metalshapes

I've got a car I used to race in the '80s.

Built it out of ( even then ) hard to find original parts.

Then started the learning curve of being competitive.

In about 10 years of racing I spent lots of money on it ( development and broken parts ), and an absurd amount of time.

But it shaped me.

We had some succes.

And some moments of pure misery.

Its been parked now for longer than it was raced.

Every time I walk by it, I'm feeling gratefull I still own it.

Some people have shown an interest over the years, but nobody has come close to tempting me.

I'm collecting parts for it right now.

It needs to go back on the track...

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

The guy that was the most serious about wanting to buy it came up with a better sollution.

I built him a clone...

It had all the last tricks and modifications my car had.

But none of the battlescars, and none of the sentimental value my car has for me.

14. gregga

gregga

I work part-time in a gas station across from Hawkeye Downs where they have gun shows and swap meets and Friday night races and am always asked for a price. Yesterday was the motorcycycle swap meet and got asked five times. $1.2 million is always the answer. My first car and 484,000 miles of driving are worth that. But the one that stood out was the guy who had to go back to dig change out of the console because he didn't have enough for a pack of cigarettes. What was he going to pay for the car with? And no, he wasn't a gold chainer who drove a nice car. It was a rusty little econobox. "Sitting in a gas station means it's gotta be for sale cheap, right?" "No, it means I drove it to work and later I'll drive it home." I guess I've got less patience now than I used to have. For a lot of things.

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Yap, I see your point. But believe me there is a lot more important things in life. I was about 1 million times happier before I came into mine. Ask me how I know.
    Paul

16. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Depends on which one of my cars you are talking about, As I have a few I would let go, But on the other hand I have a couple that No amount of money could buy them. Those of you that really believe that everything has a price, Just don't understand what a true Hot rod passion is. I think it is so sad when someone spends un replaceable years of their life building the car of their dreams only to sell it for money......Let me tell you something right now, MONEY SUCKS!!....AND HOT RODS ARE COOL!!....Maybe that is why I have No money, But I have 4 32 fords, 3 model A's, a model T and a 46 ford convertible. Not to mention a bunch of other really cool old shit!!....LOL.......As far as price goes, that is just crazy, As You would have to want my car more than I do, And I can not imagine anyone being that fucking dumb.....As if they were that dumb, there is no way they would have any money. As a rule rich people are smart, thats why they are rich!...LOL........this is a loaded question and I have answered it before in other post, If you want to buy my car You will have to wait until I am in the ground and deal with my son on it...Period!!

17. papajohn

papajohn

Check the classifieds!

18. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I agree, that this would apply to most, But I am not most and when I say not for sale at any price I mean it. I had a dumbass retired guy try to buy one of my coupes a few years ago at pete and jakes open house. I only call him a dumbass because his number was more than my car is worth in cash according to the rest of the world. My father in law was standing right there when he made his final offer.....I had to listen to his mouth all the way back home about how I should have took the money....He is one of these guys who still has his milk money from school and values money, Thats ok by me, As since he saves all his money in the bank, One day I will get my hands on it and I will be purchasing some more hot rods....LOL

19. shocker998md

shocker998md

Everything for me is for sale for the right price. There is only one car id hold onto and would only sell to keep a roof over our heads or for medical reasons, but I think id be selling off tools and whatnot before getting to it. But if something very bad happened id sell it no questions asked.

20. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

About a buck three sixty eight and its yours.

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Your "splainin" to the wrong guy :rolleyes:...

22. Spork!

Spork!

I always tell them, " A car that is not for sale is always more expensive than a car that is".

I had a "I'll never sell this car" car and was offered $70K for it. I turned it down. A few years latter the economy takes a dump, I get laid off and have to relocate. Due to the relocation and loss of storage I ended up selling the car for $45K. I'm still heartbroken.

For those who have cars that were their dad's or other sentimental reasons, I can understand. But I think it depends on your circumstances. If you are already financially sound or even filthy rich then i can see you saying you'll never sell.

But if are a regular Joe and some nutball wants to give you a million bucks then you might reconsider. I'm sure if I had a car that had belonged to my dad he would want me to sell it so I can provide a secure life for my family.

And if I pass my car to my kid and someone is willing to give him life changing money I would want him to take it. Sell the car. You can always buy another.

23. I think Kripfink hit the nail on the head. Money is nice to have unless you have to give up something huge to have it, and I'm not talking about material things. I don't know Kripfinks situation but I have a friend of mine who lost his sight in an accident and got a huge settlement. Bottom line is he'd rather be poor than blind. I believe that's what "Fuck money " means, and I'd agree.

24. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

I have heard it said.
    Money is not important, but its up there with oxygen.
    And to a point, thats true, have none of it and see how long you can last.
    Its all about balance, if you have a roof over over your head, and food in your mouth, and are keeping on top of the bills then there's no need to sell the car, at any price.
    I was at the Melbourne hotrod show and someone asked me. Mick, if you had a choice of all the cars here, which one would you take home? To which I replied the one I came in.
    I have not yet at any event come across a car I could replace my coupe with, now if I were fortunate enough to live in the US that could be another story.
    I can understand though why some have no attachment to their ride and would gladly take a stupid offer, and some won't sell at any price, its all a matter of to each his own.
    After all when the day comes and we're all the wrong side of the earth, all the money in the world don't matter.
    Any way i'll never really understand people who'll come up and try and buy your car for a ridiculous amount of money, they either can't be bothered to look through the classifieds or are to lazy to build their own, and as hs been said here, if it was for sale it would have a for sale sign in the window.
    I know for a lot of us, the times we've had with a particular car, the places we've been, the true friendships that have been made are not for sale at any price.

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Money isn't everything but it sure does buy some neat stuff.

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

Precisely....:cool:
    "Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in his shoes...."

27. Well spoken, same thing with our bucket, dad built it in the 60's, its a family heirloom.

28. codeblu

codeblu

Unobtanium.....

29. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

I have sold a couple that I regret. That is why I really have to think hard about selling. Nice old cars are becoming more and more scarce. But we don't know what is in store for us down the road. We may wish we had sold them, who knows?

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I walked into an old shop where the man was getting ready to retire, and I heard he was getting rid of loads of stuff. There was an Olds 303 sitting on the floor and I asked if he would sell it. He said sure, I asked "how much you want", then he said "lets start at 10 thousand, and see where we end up."

I was at a body shop with my car last summer, standing outside BSing with the owner. Some guy does a "panic stop" and swerves into the parking lot, rolls down the window and asks "is that for sale!?!?!?" I said no, then he got real persistant, and asks me if im sure its not for sale, eventually I had to firmly tell him no and walk away. Then I walked back to continue my conversation with the body shop owner he said "How much did he offer ya?" I told him I didn't even let him make an offer. He goes on to tell me "that guys a lawyer, he's loaded, I see him driving a different car every week"

I bet I really pissed him off, but now I'm a bit curious what he would actually have paid for the car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.