Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to weld sun visor on 30 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heretik, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hi guys !

I'm actually adjusting a new top wood kit on my 30 coupe.
    I'm asking myself about the best way to put back the sun visor, I saw here and there some welded visors but if I do this I believe that I will not be able to put the wood part back in position.
    Do you guys weld the visor in final position ?

If I want to make an assembling closed to the original by bolts and nails, how do you proceed for the clearance beetwin the visor and the top panels ? I actually don't use roof, so I will not use the top molding, what would you guess as issue ?

thanks in advance :cool:

2. anyone else ? :D

3. I welded mine in after I installed the wood kit. I slid a piece of sheet metal between the wood and visor and slowly stitch welded it. I am going to put in a cloth top and I may actually run the front tacking strip like the original but I will have to drill pilot holes to do that. be careful when you weld it that it all flows nicely on the inside corner. If you finish it off, it has a tendency to dip in the corner and you don't want to have to put a lot of body filler in there to smooth it out.

4. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Good question... I had close to the same question out there just lately. May have put a bumm title on it as my results were only luke warm. (link)
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673596

I'm looking into removing this to allow the visor to ride up to the top
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping to move the visor up and clean up the front lines a bit.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

5. Speed~On

Speed~On

Welded the visor in place after the new wood kit was installed. You will notice there is a gap between the visor and the A post. Filled that in with sheet metal. I purchased a new vinyl top and nailed that on.

6. Thank you guys for your support, gonna check all that and try to find the best compromise :p

7. charlieb66

charlieb66

Welded my visor and a metal insert in/onto my 31 a coupe. I installed all the top wood and header and realigned the visor to more closely fit the body metal. I put a piece of copper sheet between the wood and the metal. No burned wood from what I can tell. I got the copper from a commercial roofing contractor, they use it for flashing.

Attached Files:

8. thank you Charlie for sharing your experience and for this picture ;)

9. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Thanks, also, for the info. I've got to completely redo the roof insert and visor on my '31 that someone "Mickey Moused" years ago.