Register now to get rid of these ads!

So they ask, what will it take to buy your car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Whenever I hear the saying that "everything has a price" I know it does not pertain to my 27. There is no amount of money that will ever take it away from me, and when I die it will go to my two Sons. We have been through too many good and bad times together for me to ever think about selling it. To put it into perspective, how much would you take for one of your kids ? That is my point. :)

Don

3. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Tell 'em you'll swap for something off the wall they surely wouldn't have like a tracked-vehicle, 40+ junk cars, mining equipment, etc.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

It depends :D

My old roadster is not for sale ... turned down stupid money for it quite a few times. I have owned it 30 plus years.

My 32 3W ... sometimes it makes me mad and I call it names. Then the price would be reasonable :(

Turned down stupid money for it the first time it went to Pigeon Forge Shades of the Past ( 2008 ) . I do not know who was the most stupid ... Him for offering or me for not taking it.

I am 63 years old, do not need two Deuces. I certainly would sell the 3W today for that ( 2008 offer ) price.

[​IMG]

5. rusty bill

rusty bill

I tell them I only want $2.00 dollars storage for each day I have had my old 39 Ford pickup. They ask how many days? I tell them I got it in May of 1962!:)

6. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

As far as Aussie hotrods go, my old coupe has quite a history attached to it, and I doubt I could ever replace it.
    I guess as long as I can afford to keep it, I will, I hope I never have to sell it.
    So I suppose seeing as its not for sale, someone would have to come up with over a hundred grand AUD before I'd even think about it.
    I hope I'm really never put in the spot to find out.
    [​IMG]

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

No, not only am I solvent with a lifetime pension from the Navy....I'm not greedy.:)Son youre banging on the wrong door!:pI can however understand your point of view...it's all good.

8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

My standard answer is make me an offer and I will either except it or reject it.

The old saying he who speaks first looses is very true.

Let's say you want $10,000 dollars for your car and someone asks you what would you take and you say $9,000

They are then going to counter with an offer under $9,000 dollars and wait for you to make the next move.

Another good thing to remember is that everyone wants to feel like they got a deal and that includes both the buyer and the seller.

It's also important to very quickly size up if the person you are dealing with is a prospect or a suspect meaning do they really want to buy something or are they just a tire kicker.

Once the other person has made what seems like their best offer and you are still looking for more ask them if they are willing to split the difference.

Sometimes offering to though in something extra in the deal will also make it work such as parts or something else of value.

My favorite saying is the following,

In Life People get the Right Answers to the Wrong Questions.

I had a friend who really liked a car he saw at a show and he was Red Hot to buy it until he asked me to take a look at the car and let him know what I thought.

When I looked at the car which was really sharp looking I asked the owner one question?

If he was going to keep the car what did it need and he started telling me it needed a different rear end or maybe just an axle and he said there was also a small problem with the shifter linkage and a few other things.

Best of luck and try and ask questions before you buy your next dream car and not after you have bought it.

Jimbo

9. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

I would sell mine for the right price and the right reason. The ONLY reason would be to buy another, more complete car because I doubt I will ever finish mine. I would also trade for a decent stock Model A.

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

One…… Million……… Dollars!!!!!!

Fuck money.

11. 46Steel

46Steel

I have had this asked and I answered. It's not for sale. They usually reply - Everthing is for sale, and my response is ALWAYS " you can't drive money"

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed" :cool:

12. jazz1

jazz1

I don't get attached to inanimate objects,,sold my last hotrod I had for 22 years,,went for my BUY IT NOW price which was DOUBLE my reserve,,,could not get the grin off my face seeing those taillights for the last time..
    Picked up my '41 IHC for scrap metal price and started all over again
    Anything can be replaced,,,,sentiment is for pussies

13. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I bought my first car (a Model A) in the late 60s. I loved it but realized that if I'm going to own another car I'd have to sell the Model A. so I sold that Model A and bought another one. I've repeated this process every few years ever since and have owned and enjoyed several of my "dream" cars and it will continue as long as I'm able to drive and enjoy them. Too many cars too little time.

14. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Then I guess I'm a pussy, cos I don't believe everything in this life comes down to the mighty dollar. And I count myself lucky that I am surrounded by people that feel the way too.
    Paul

15. careful you might get a paper cut.

I have to admit that when it comes to money I am your basic misfit. I would like to have some and if someone has some that they don't want I would sure do my best to put it to good use. But if I don't have some I am just as happy as if I do.

16. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I'd take $20,000.

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Threads like this give some guys the opportunity to play the big shot.:rolleyes:
    I've sold many cars for the cash value of the parts I've had in them, and considered myself lucky to have broken even after enjoying the car for a couple years. The recent economy is part to blame for that. On the other hand, I've made a decent profit on many cars too.

18. big bad john

big bad john

....No amount of money can buy them...

19. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess what that ^^^ is?

It's a sentiment.

20. That's because you use £ instead of $, Paul. ;)

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'd sell any car I own or have owned. If the offer sounds good to me on a given day the car is a goner...........

22. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I always tell them "It's not for sale at any reasonable offer." That way, if they want it, they know they'll have to come up with ridiculous money. I've sold several like that. There's always some one with more dollars than sense.

23. jazz1

jazz1

The saddest song is when someone MUST sell due to financial predicament,,,I see so many going for a fraction of true value,,,no time like the present to buy a hotrod

24. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

That is about as fine an attitude towards life that anyone can have, and one that I used to share before my accident. Nicely put Benno.
    Paul

25. TxRat

TxRat

Not likely. My Dad built the car in the late 60's. My grandmother did the interior in the early 70's. My Dad teared up as he signed it over to me. I seriously think My son was conceived in the back.

My Dad's only wish for the car was to give it to my son one day when I felt he was ready as my dad did with me. Ive driven this car to high school and begged my Dad for this car since I was young and the answer was always "you're not ready". At 43 now I look back and I have never kept any cars Ive built. I always sold them soon after they were done. I just never considered selling this one. Lots of history with it.

26. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I just went through this this morning. I drove my dads 66 small block Vette to breakfast. I had a guy trying to buy it. He was saying I had to have a price. I told him " not for sale". He keep on and on, I gave him a price. Its pretty damn funny watching hot coffee come out somebody's nose. Then I told him " Guess you don't want it as bad as you thought" LOL.

If I wanted to sell it, it would have a fuckin FOR SALE sign in the window.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hah..."tough-guy". See...this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talkin' about. The key word in your statement is "I". If you think you'd be a "pussy" for feeling...or God forbid, showing heartfelt sentiment...then so be it. But you can't justifiably impose your narrow view on others, expecting them to follow suit...and it's futile to think you can.

Again, I say...nobody can rightly tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't do in any given situation, or what they are to believe. Yet so many of you wanna waste your time, trying to do that.

One thing I notice. I don't see the "Won't sell" crowd insulting the "Everybody has their price" folks. But I do see it happening vicey-versey. It's not hard to understand the reasons you'd feel the need to disrespect the convictions of others...but be assured...they are not good reasons.

Live and let live. Make your choices, and allow others to do the same, without criticizing them for it, or attempting to present yourself as "better". Learn to respect and appreciate that we're all different...'cause that's what makes the world go 'round.

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I'm with ya Dude.

29. tonycpe

tonycpe

30. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

I saw an interview with an ex-special forces guy who said "tough isn't not being afraid, really tough is being scared shitless and doing anyway because it's your job and the rest of your squad is counting on you". I don't think SENTIMENTALITY is for pussies, if you have nothing in your life that you value more than money then you've wasted your time and your money. Trust me, when you pass on your final thoughts won't be of anything you've ever bought!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.