Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homebuilt quickchanges... Enlighten me!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tank, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Tank

Tank

Been tossing around the idea of building a quickchnge out of an early Ford banjo centersection. I know its completely possible, as it has been done before. However, I'm kind of in the dark on some of the inner workings..... I have the basics figured out. Center turned backwards with a new shaft below going into a housing in the rear with the spur gears.
    Now, the part i dont know. What type of bearings would be used for the new shaft being used? Also on this shaft I'm guessing some sort of seal would be needed to keep the goo from running up the torque tube since its now way below the original height. Spur gears, I know these are available from places like Halibrand, Winters, etc. What type of spline do they have?
    Pics, and any input would be appreciated! I'm a machinist by trade, and I think I could make myself one with some time.... If I can figure out how it all works! Thanks!

2. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I have a home made quick change. If I were reverse engineering one I'd start with the rear end and the quick change cover, and I'd get a lower shaft from halibrand or someone. When I look at mine I am amazed what the Quigleys did probably in the 50s or early sixties with the equipment they had to work with.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love home built quickies!! There is a local guy that use to do them but said with all the work it's more cost effective to just build a Halibrand when labor charges come into play. But if you're building it yourself I think go for it!!!

Doodleroz has one behind his 32. I'd really like to get my hands on one for my '33.

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Rob,

Yes, you can do it! assuming you are going to start with a '34 -48 Ford banjo, first get a lower shaft, 6 spline on both ends. This will establish the overall length, and bearing sizes. New Halibrand parts are getting hard to find. Winters will have what you need.

The center to center shaft dimension is 3.00"

There are/were 1" wide gears and 1 3/8". Be sure you make the change gear housing to the necessary depth.

You can fab a rear cover, or use an existing one.

If you need more details PM me.

Bruce Schneider
    Gearhead's Quickchange Exchange

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Gibraltar72,

You have a Quigley? How about some pictures and information for a book I am writing?

Thanx,
    Bruce Schneider

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

jackshaft bearings are roller ball type held in place with clips on the jackshaft. pinion bearings are usually standard early ford units with races but I have seen some halibrands run with roller ball bearings and shims. I used sealed type ball bearings on the jackshaft in my last one and didn't run any type of seal at the torque tube and didn't have any oil loss.

On a related note, Hamber R.C. is producing the Speed Demon welded QC's now, got one coming for my 5w...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. striper

striper

Twice today I've read about this book, Bruce. I need some info on that.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Tell me more. History? We're those original covers? Timeline used?

9. Tank

Tank

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks everybody, I will have more questions!

10. nsh57

nsh57

Hey Rob, I have some extra gear sets if you want for mock-up, and you're welcome anytime to come take a look at my winters. We can even pull it apart if you want to, I've been meaning to change the gears anyways.

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Striper,

I've been building Quick Changes for over 30 years. I have a mess of parts and a camera.

Every time I started a new build I learned something and decided it's time to share what I have learned.

So, being a retired Auto Shop teacher I decided to put it all down on paper. Hoping to have it look like 'How to Hot Rod Small Block Chevys', or 'Chevrolet Inline Six Power Manual'.

Quick Change History is hard to come by as most of these makers were machinist/fabricator/engineers and did not spend a lot of time documenting their work for posterity.

So I'm trying to fill in the blanks.

Bruce Schneider

12. I have to build one of these before I die.

13. Old Guy

Old Guy

That is how I built mine.
    Got a repop Halibrand rear cover from Speedway and a lower shaft and worked backwards from there.
    Actually, the bottom shaft was a ten spline Winters that I resplined to six spline on one end.Not a fun project.
    I think Speedway Motors still sells the V8 six spline lower shaft.
    Also if you look at there parts breakdown you can figure out what most of the bearings are.
    With a little machine work you can use the 31 spline axle gears out of a nine inch Ford so you can use some decent axles.
    I used the 1 inch change gears which show up on E-Bay pretty often, or you can buy them new from Speedway or Winters.
    Hope this helps.

14. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

Ha!!!
    That's my car.It's a Wilson Welding QC.I've got about 1000 miles on it so far.No problems yet.
    [​IMG]

15. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

We have the lower shafts available. Either open drive or torque tube.

Be sure you turn the banjo upside down and backwards; not just backwards. Otherwise, you'll be in for a big surprise after all that work.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, that would REALLY suck!

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Haha, 3 speeds in reverse!

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Right on! :cool:

19. Won't be a problem you just have to put a reverse rotation boat motor in front of the whole shebang.

I wish I could find a pic of it, there was a salter that actually used a seperate box behind the banjo. Pretty slick setup. The rear set up above the quick change box. The drive shaft passed under the banjo then ther was a short shaft running back to the banjo to drive it.