Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will Holley 2110 Carburetor work on 1935 Ford Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccbb, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ccbb

ccbb

I'm building a custom car and want minimal knobs and stuff on/under the dash. (Choke cable & Knob)
    It has a 1935 (221 Cubic inch, I think) Ford flathead 21 stud engine and I was wondering if a 1955 Holley 2110 3 bolt with a automatic choke would work with this engine. ...or if engine would even work correctly with that carb...
    Thought auto choke might solve problem, unless it would cause more problems. Car is 12v.

[​IMG]

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Shouldn't be a problem.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

IF you change that 6 volt automatic choke coil to a 12 volt type...('56 Ford and later)

4. ccbb

ccbb

Thanks- Sounds great, I'll give the 2110 a try when I get closer to filling it with fluids and firing her up. Will see about that 12v choke.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Stuff: I think this is the big bore carb...bolt pattern will be OK but throttle bores are way big and offset...cut stock manifold with a mill, or maybe a '49 Merc manifold will be close.
    If using iron 1935 manifold...see the hole at front center of carb flange?? Goes into exhaust crossover to heat the Stromberg, will burn through gasket and FRY your power valve on a Ford carb! Drive in a cup plug or threadit and screw in a pipe plug!!
    Plug port on back of carb for late distributor, I think you can ignore the special whatthehelizzit valve sticking out of back.
    Electric choke a good way to hook that up.

6. ccbb

ccbb

Power brakes...
    This carburetor has extra ports on it, I guess vacuum.
    I'm adding power brakes.
    I have a vacuum spacer plate that goes between carb and manifold (that might help bore problem, I'll check)
    Question:
    1. Is best vacuum from under carburetor on that spacer plate,
    2. On carburetor port
    3. or off a manifold port? (Looks like tiny hole)

I have a thin spacer, but see this thicker one online, I would guess easier to machine if needed than the manifold. Also saw ones with two holes instead of one wide one.
    [​IMG]

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The "whatthellizzit valve" is the power valve.... It was also called an "economizer"....

4TTRUK

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The power valve/economizer is the similar thingy inside the carb...the thing that looks about like the power valve on the back of the carb modifies the behavior of the vac/ venturi depression circuit that controls the Loadamatic distributor...it is a post-flathead mod, about '54-56, attempting to make the fundamentally crap Loadamatic pay more attention to its job. I still cannot remeber what they called it...just plug the little port on back of carb and ignore the whole thing. If you wish, plug the extra hole connecting that system to throttle body (make sure NOT the two similar holes for idle) or simply ignore it.
    The Loadamatic system was designed in collaboration between Holley and Satan, and sold to the Post Henry "Whiz Kids", bean counters hired away from GM, who were delighted because it cost 10 cents less than a real distributor and had no downside except disastrous power and economy.

9. ccbb

ccbb

Quick Web research: Two items looks almost the same...the spark control valve and the Power Valve or Economiser.
    The spark control valve is mounted on the base of 1955-56 carbs and only used with the Load-O-Matic distributor as far as I can figure.
    Photos:
    The left ones are the Power Valve or Economiser. The right one (circled) is the spark control valve. (which I'll plug).

Any input of best place to run vacuum line for power brakes? Carb, carb base, manifold.

[​IMG]

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Manifold or your adaptor...I'd go for the adaptor as it connects both sides and has room for a large port, 3/8 pipe or whatever.

11. ccbb

ccbb

Sounds good. - Thanks