Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I get an old dealer name plate reproduced?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by montclaire, Mar 4, 2012.

1. montclaire

montclaire

I have an old pot metal name plate from the dealership where my grandfather worked - what are my options to have another one made? The original is all there but is all pops - the cheap pot metal didn't hold up too well. It could even be chromed plastic, I don't care.
    Thanks

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

I'll make one for you,

Dose it have to be made out of metal;???

no?

Cool, I have well over 3 pounds of cow poop just outside the barn right now.

;)

3. moefuzz

moefuzz

Obrien Truckers,

They have a website.........

And they don't use cow poop.

moe

4. montclaire

montclaire

Thanks, I think haha

5. F&J

F&J

That would be a cool project to do for a tech week deal.

Look up on google: "Lost wax casting"

Just a basic list:

You make a mold with a silicone catalyst goop, inside a container to hold the shape of the hardened silicone.

Then that mold is taken apart to remove the old emblem. Now wax is poured in. Let it cool and a freezer is good on a small dainty piece.

That wax copy is now coated with pottery ceramic which i think can be dipped or brushed, to get a certain thickness. Now go to a pottery to have it "fired". That firing will make the wax run out and be "lost". As soon as it cools from that, you now have a perfect flawless mold to pour aluminum into.

I have a commercial casting furnace for small pours, but i've been too busy to experiment with it.

6. montclaire

montclaire

I have a friend who messes with the stuff they use for dental molds, to make custom fishing lures. But with that, and the lost wax casting, it'll just copy the pops that are on the current one, which I am trying to eliminate.

7. montclaire

montclaire

I checked out Obriens but I don't think they're going to be able to help me out. I probably should have said dealer emblem rather than plate.

8. Really? Well not if you want it out of cow poop. But aluminum is an option.......

9. PRB

PRB
    from Az

There is a thread here somewhere on brass plate etching that is what you are looking for....hit the search with dif queries.

10. reece

reece
    from NC

Do a search for Badge Maker Deluxe. I think they can do what you want.

11. Hey, once you make a mold, you can make a master, sand out or fill the pops, and make a new mold from that. I presume the original is too delicate to work over.

12. Waterjet it out of aluminum. Should be able to take the old one in to use as a pattern?

13. noboD

noboD

I vote for O'Brien Trucking, good quality and reasonable prices.

14. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

why don't you post up a picture of it, maybe someone has a good one. can't hurt to try.