Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ultimate 'Banger???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gretschplayer, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Gretschplayer

Gretschplayer

Every so often I'll see a photo & caption of an Ardun head made for 'A' & 'B' blocks. Here's what I'm wondering: could you build an Ardun 4-banger using a Donovan 'D' block? You'd have sturdier mains, insert bearings and a strong crank, while retaining the external look of a vintage engine. Add the induction and ignition of your choice, drop it into someting like a '31 Vicky, and you're good. Is this even possible? Because I can't believe I'm the only one who's thought of this...

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Personally I'd rather have a reproduction of an Overhead that actualy existed back in the day, Riley 4Port, or CRAGAR. Bob

3. phlip

phlip

It's possible and probably already been done.The engine would cost more than the car to almost.

4. RussTee

RussTee

Dont think the ardun banger conversion is the best around for the money, yes it has been done. I think I would go for one of the new Cragar Repops see the comments on this months banger thread.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't like anything about the "Ardun" head for Ford bangers. It's not a hemi. It's not an Ardun and it is a rip off of Duntovs name. I would rather have a Rutherfurd. Or better yet a Dodge Bros with a Morton & Brett OHV conversion. Oh wait. I do have one of those.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rich, Isn't the Rutherfurd the head with a stud running through a exhaust or intake port? How does that effect things? Bob

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Last one I saw ran good. The Morton & Brett also has head studs through the intake ports. I back spot faced a flat in the port and went with a short stud and 12 point nut. Plugged the top hole. I like that better in theory. Have no idea if it's really better.

8. Have you priced the short block? They used to run about $10K++. Sounds great on paper but too much money for me.

Charlie Stephens

9. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is a Cragar OHV conversion on a Banger. It runs on Alcohol and still runs great. It likes the "No Spin" take off from the line while the big ones are spinning tires. It gets a pair of Weber's too.
    Nornbc9

Attached Files:

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You want a good bottom end? And a cheap OHV conversion? Here is the one I ran at the lakes for 5 years or so. '32 Plymouth with a Y block head. Near bolt on. And if a Y block head will bolt on so will a newer small block Ford. Cleveland or Windsor. Need a billet cam for them though. Think outside the Ford box. Also included a flathead Plymouth, no extra charge.

Attached Files:

11. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Rich Fox has probably built more "off center" race engines than anyone around, his present early Dodge banger is a great example. He built, to my knowledge, the only hot rod Packard V8 ever. What a fertile mind.

I am also including some pics of the B block banger from Steve Nelson's lakester. The engine is a 32 B block, special girdle for a 5 main crank, 5 main billet crank, REM DOHC head, 15:1 compression, runs on alcohol and just set the V4FL record at 194 and some change, best run 197+. Goal for next year is to move the record above 200.
    If the Donovan block was SCTA legal it might be cost competitive with going the way Steve has done just to be legal, lots of special machine work to get the girdle and head to work.

There is presently being built in Ohio a model A coupe for a West Coast rodder that has a Donovan block with, I think, a Riley head. Engine was built by a big name race engine builder and his comment was that he had never built and engine for so much money that made so little horsepower!

Rex

Attached Files:

12. Gretschplayer

Gretschplayer

Wow! THAT is one of the coolest things I've seen on the HAMB!

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I really liked my Plymouths. Full pressure from the factory. And counterweights. Modern steel backed thin shell main bearings and 2 inch rod journals. Easy to use SBC bearings. Very stiff, deep crankcase. Only thing against it was the small bore 3 5/8 and long stroke 4 3/4. OHV engine went 135 in the small blue car to the left.

14. Faus

Faus

Oh that's nothing! My GPW banger makes an amazing 23.5 horse power!