Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Sorry, Billy, I don't know who is your dad, would you tell a little bit more, please.
    I remember having read (but where ?) that Mario had often asked Scats for a ride but was always denied, then was offered one as he had begun racing USAC in the fall of the 1963 season ...

Pic (from the Salem Speedway facebook page) :
    Mario Andretti recorded a convincing win in 1964 at the Joe James/ Pat O’Connor Memorial for his first career USAC victory.
    Andretti (83), is shown reeling in Dee Jones (25) during the 1964 James/ O’Connor race.
    Andretti went on to return to victory lane at Salem Speedway in 1966 with a 2nd James/ O’Connor Memorial win.

Attached Files:

2. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. jimg12

jimg12

MarioFanKri,
    The picture of Atkins, Mario and Bobby looks like Salem to me.
    Jim

4. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

Thanks for any help you can be. Jim

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Does look like the old tower, doesn't it? I agree, Jim.

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

from SalemSpeedway.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. gtxrider

gtxrider

Nice shot of turning right to go left!

8. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Thanks for having identified Salem track, Jim, John & Carl :)

A pic from 1964 I had never seen before today :

[​IMG]

9. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Just found this one on a french message board about racing history, it is said to be Mario in 1975 but I think it's 1973 cause of the # 15.

In 1975, Al Unser was the only VPJ racer running the Dirt series but he was numbered 3.

Can someone tell me the place, I would say DuQuoin...

This photo reminds me the one of Al Unser in 1975, look at it, same position ...

Attached Files:

10. jimg12

jimg12

Back on page 890 I put the names of the owners and drivers that Bibby Grim, Cliff Griffith and Joie Ray helped me with. Can anyone else help?
    Jim

11. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'MarioFanKri, Everything's pretty accurate except someone steered you wrong on the pic of Mario seated in Wally's sprinter. That pic is from 1966. It could have even been the April 3rd race at Eldora (overcast day) when Rutherford flew out of the place and broke both arms. In that case, Mario would have been the #9 car. But it's definitely a Meskowski car. (Roll bar inside the tail section)

1. 1966 -- #1 Dean Van Lines dirt car --Mario consulting with one of the Firestone engineers before going out and beating Foyt at the Hoosier Hundred.

2. 1973 -- #15 Viceroy dirt car -- Ken Coles Photography

Attached Files:

12. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Does anyone have any pictures from 1963-4 at Ascot of the South Bay Auto Body Sprinter? It was numbered 77 and 33. Thanks in advance!

13. John Lucas

John Lucas

I wrote an article on Stan Bowman and his amazing very brief history in a USAC Sprint car. He is going to be honored on April 21 at Eldora in honor of the first USAC race which Stan won defeating Parnelli Jones and Jim Hurtibise( the Chevy Twins). He was killed in the No 19 Gutzwiler car two months later at Terre Haute. He drove the No.19 only one time before when he ran second at New Bremen. He won at Eldora in Harold Beck's No 11. 220 Offy The reason he was driving the No.19 was due to the fact the crank broke on No.11 at Indy Raceway park a few weeks before. Clint Brawner signed him to drive the famous Dean Van Lines Champ car at Langhorne in July 1962. Sadly, Stan lost his life a few weeks before the Langhorne race.

14. deuce354

deuce354

Any place were we can read the article?

15. sideways27

sideways27

I would also be interested in your article on Stan bowman as I own and have restored the sister car to the #11. Which was built by Harold Beck Jr (Sonny) I am friends with the Beck family and was asked to take the #7 Beck Spl to Eldora in April for the 50th Anniversary of Stans Win. I have been told that Stans son will be there along with Diane Beck which was Harold's daughter. Were not sure if we can make it due to cost of hauling the sprinter back there but I know it would be a lot of fun driving the sprinter around the Eldora track.

16. baldtireman

baldtireman

I remember Stan "helping out " on the Roy Robbins car at Clinton .:D

17. gearheadphotography

gearheadphotography
    from Colorado

This is both beautiful and incredibly authentic. I saw this car in action in the late 60s, with Bill Vukovich II at the wheel, at Bakersfield Speedway, with J.C. Agajanian also on hand. Vukovich signed with Aggie then or soon afterward and began concentrating his efforts on champ cars.

18. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Early this month a new thread was started titled...

Quick Change Information

This is partly an attempt to identify as many manufacturers as possible over the years. There has been some good input and pictures here but I sense not nearly what there could be because Sprint Car and Midget thread subscribers aren't aware of it.

Please check it out and contribute if you can. I believe this is a worthwhile and enlightening effort on the part of...

Bruce Schneider
    Gearhead's Quickchange Exchange

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677151

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  19. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

If you want to see some beautiful detail and craftsmanship on race car models check out Don Edmonds Autoresearch web page. Also check out the race cars he built. One of the innovators of the sport.

20. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

In post # 16958 I questioned the long held belief that the #98 Pestana and Lang Chevy that was owned by Sherman Cleveland and Johnny Anderson was in fact the Fike Plumbing Spl.
    In a Jack Fox article, appearing in Illustrated Speedway News on 1/12/1965, Fox states that Pestana and Lang purchased a couple of top sprint cars: .." one car is the former Fike Chevy of Parnelli Jones fame..". The problem is that the Fike car is the #99 car that was driven by Dee Hileman!
    The second car Pestana and Lang bought was the #10 S.O.W. Chevy driven in 1964 by Billy Cantrell and Allen Heath. Proving this was tricky until a photo taken at the CRA season opener at Ascot on 1/10/1965 came into my possession. The photo shows Bob Huebner, leading Russ Moynagh followed by Dick Atkins in the #10A Pestana Lang Chevy, the car still carrying the S.O.W. paint scheme and number!
    In an article about the CRA opener penned by Ronnie Allyn in the 1/13/1965 issue of National Speed Sport News. Allyn scored the car as the #10A Pestana Lang Chevy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  21. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Took the finished Woodland Parnelli Jones no.98 tribute midget roadster back to Woodland's museum last Wed.

Attached Files:

22. racer5c

racer5c

Take any pictures of the Tamale Wagon with the Mosier heads??

23. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Here it is

Attached Files:

24. KK500

KK500

RABs.........pm me for details on the fiberglass kits that I have taken from my pattern mold. They are 1:6 tho. $150 set = top half and bottom half per pics of the raw cast version sitting on the wheels of the #14 car.
    Jim

Attached Files:

25. KK500

KK500

one more pic

Attached Files:

26. KK500

KK500

another

Attached Files:

27. Framewelder

Framewelder

I've been reading this thread for a long time. My dad Whitt Brewer was very good friends with Stan and was painting a new helment for him at the time of his death and he was buried with it. My dad never charged for painting a helment again.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  28. jimg12

jimg12

Framewelder painted my helment for me when he was 15, I still have it. His Dad painted my race car several times. He also painted several others race cars over the years. I still miss him.
    Jim Graybeal

29. baldtireman

baldtireman

The lead car look like the early iteration of the "Fike".... John S.
    :eek::D:confused:

30. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

John,

The A1 car driven by Bob Huebner is the Carter Chevy.
    The Fike Plumbing Chevy became the #99 Pestana Lang Chevy that was driven by Dee Hileman. The current location of that car is unknown. If found it should be in the Sprint Car Hall of Fame Museum.