Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel filter Tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dr. Fishstein, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Ok, after having the rubber fuel line attached to the fuel filter rupture and burn up the engine compartment. I needed a solution...

I did some research at work and found a solution...I still need a shorter line to the carb...I will post pics when I finish it up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The fuel filter is for a jag/land rover, and the fittings are designed for flared end steel lines. It is a fairly large filter, which should work for other engine combos. I hope this helps someone..... any questions or comments let'em fly....

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Is there anyway you could run the fuel line from the tank to the other side of the engine closer to the carb so you don't have to have the fuel line go across the top of the engine? Then your fuel filter would be closer to the carb also. It would be a neater set up. You might even be able to adapt the filter so it will screw right into the carb inlet.

4. Fuel pump is on passenger side, that's where the outlet line is...so I had to come out that side...

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

Why does a fuel filter have to be in the engine compartment anyway?

6. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

how about idea

working from carb to fuel pump
    out carb to valve cover - bend line 90 at driver side of valve cover
    run along side of valve cove to the front of valve cover bend line 90
    go a few inch's bend line 90 heading down front of motor
    mount fuel filter somewhere down there by your fuel pump

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't, I always put at least one inline filter between the tank and the fuel pump on anything I build. That is the result of loosing a gas cap (actually leaving it on the pump at Grand Tetons Park) and the ending up driving on many miles of fresh gravel on the way across Montana where the sand that was thrown up in the air ended up in the gas tank and in the fuel pump's check valves. Some kid in Whitehall sold me the fuel pump he had bought for his 55 or 56 Chevy as he was going in the Navy in a couple of days and got me back on the road again. That was in 1981.

If you find a 76/79 Cadillac Seville in the junk yard they have a nice fuel filter setup right in front of the rear axle on the drivers side that uses the same filters that the big Cad engines use in the bottom of the fuel pump. Unscrew the cover, change the filter and screw the cover back on.

8. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

why not mount that big ass fuel filter somewhere on the frame before the fuel pump and let the fuel pump drink clean gas too? then just hard line it from the pump to the carb.

9. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Does that work well with the mechanical pumps, or does it strain them? I could see if you had an electric and adjustable regulator, but pulling the fuel through a filter wouldn't that bring fuel pressure down a tad? I've always thought of doing just that and a lot of folks told me unless I had an electric 'push' style pump it wouldn't work well since the 'pull' of the mechanical pumps weren't designed to have a filter inline of the supply. Does it really matter?

10. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

that's a good question. I would say no and the reason being. My 40 pickup been running around for about 14 years now with a FRAM filter mounted on the frame next to the gas tank. 3/8 steel line along frame, then about 6 to 8 in's of rubber hose connecting steel line to a mechanical fuel pump, then steel line to carb. never had a problem in over 100,000 miles.

11. What kind of fuel pump are you running on the 40? Is it a stock mechanical or a high volume mechanical?

Actually I may have another idea, using a 90 on the pump, mount the filter to that and then rest to the carb. Don't know, there is not a lot of room based on the outlet of fuel pump to alternator clearance.

Well y'all gave me more food for thought. Either way I am reducing the amount of rubber line that I am using. I am going to put some sort of shield or sheathing around the rubber line from tank to pump, that way it doesn't rupture then spray the back of the alternator. That is what happen the last time and caused the engine fire that I am in the process of fixing the damage from...

12. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

I'm a cheap SOB, plus at one time I was all over the place with the truck. So I use a stock Napa sbc mechanical pump. If it broke on the side of the road I could find a new one at any auto part store.

13. That looks like a fuel injection style filter for use with higher pressure out if the pump 15 psi- ish. Check your fuel pressure after the filter just to be surely on the safe side of you carb getting lean.

How did the line run from the factory, that's probably how id run it. Fuel line crossing under engine is safer than over top. Todays fuel and rubber hoses scares the crap out of me lately.

Pontiac tri-power had the filter mounted up front and on top. It had two small pieces of rubber hose joining it to the hardline from pump to fuel block. 2" each kind of small....

14. I picked up some viton o rings just in case, I will make it work one way or another.

15. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yes, I removed my filter from the above the motor to just inside the frame, before the fuel pump (sbc). I do have a regulator. I had one of those generic filters with a glass inspection tube, but was warned by an old NHRA safety inspector that breakage & leaks at the joints were a hazard with them, so I changed to the all metal, integral nipple type. I figured that positioning it where I did would probably be a good spot, because (a) it's protected by the frame in the case of side impact & (b) if it ruptured for any bizarre reason, it wouldn't dump gas on the motor. Per the thread on fuel line hoses, I switched to Gates Barricade.

16. Finished the install went a different route with filter and line.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. tnich123

tnich123

I learned from my VW days to never have the fuel filter in the engine compartment. If its under the car and breaks or leaks it lands on the ground if its in the engine compartment it burns. Ever see a vw engine burn? fire trucks dont carry enough water to put them out once the case ignites.

18. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Fuel filter placement looks better, but whats up with the long curly line going to the carb? Cut it & reflare it shorter. Will look alot better.

19. I run a max of 3" of fuel hose to the pump or carb and I run fuel injection hose rubber hose.