Register now to get rid of these ads!

Okay...car trailer recommendations please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Like the title says. I'm shopping.

I need some thoughts on the best-value-for-the-money car hauling trailer. It seems like a big crap-shoot when it comes to tailers for sale. Any brands or dealers that are a better bet, especially here in Michigan or Northern Indiana?

I'm shopping for a 16' or 18' flatbed, and it seems most are either cheap angle-iron specials, or end up spending $4,000. Would like to get the best trailer for the money under say $3,000.

Any thoughts if you have gone through this yourself?

2. Many trailers come out of Elkhart, IN

If you go to the manufacturer you'll save a lot off of the retail price.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i want one of these.. seems like every time im dragging something home i have the chance for something else but dont have the room...but if you want a shorter one i would try and find a used steel deck with the tappered rear for easier loading if the car is lowered..

Attached Files:

4. grabrr

grabrr

Don't buy anything less than an 18', easier to resell. Trailers are a pain, I always wanted one, I bought one, it's always in the way, people want to borrow it...

5. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Check Craigslist, there's a bunch down here.

6. This is mine, a Road Clipper. 18 Ft. steel deck, 11,000 gross, built in pull out ramps.four wheel brakes bought it new in 1998 for $3200.00

7. Check online for Lamar trailers.
    I special ordered mine with slide out rear ramps and had them build it 24' long. It's perfect for a car plus a bunch of parts. I paid about $3,500 brand new.

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have an 18' Texas Rollback, great trailer no ramps to mess with.
    Very well made and tows awsome behind my '09 1/2 ton Silverado.
    They are no longer made but good used ones go for between $3000-4000.
    well worth it!
    4 wheel electric brakes are a must as well as good trailer rated tires.
    Good Luck eith your search! KK

9. Big Tex 18 foot drop split tail $3,200 price from dealer

[​IMG]

10. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

I purchased two different Carson wood deck Standard Car Trailers 2005 and a 2008
    $1995 + Tax & Reg in 2008, they're around $2,300 now
    Ran them hard for about 3 three years or until the tires were shot, then sold them for about $500-700 less than I paid for them...

Big Tex is a better choice if you're planning on keeping it long term...

[​IMG]

11. If you are handy around the shop, have a welder and the ability to use it, have alot of time on your hands and not much money then you could .......

[​IMG]

Find an old roached out travel trailer with dual axles that someone would give you just to haul it off ....and .....

[​IMG]

Gut it out and strip down to bare chassis ... then,.....

[​IMG]

Weld a bunch (about $400 worth) of square pie to the chassis and prime it ... they..

[​IMG]

Then paint it a top color and wire in the lights and electric brakes ... etc ... and then

[​IMG]

Get a dog and have him/her help you scdrew down some 2x6 ... and finally ...

[​IMG]

... load up a car, preferably something that dont matter if it falls off ... then

[​IMG]

.... take it for a test run to make sure everything is cool ... then ....

[​IMG]

... get back to work on your projects with all the money you saved ..... cost about $650 to build.

12. Bilt

Bilt

Mine is a Challenger I think. It has a long five foot dovetail on it and the ramps come straight out of the back so its easy to get a low riding car up onto it. A long bed four door F-350 fit on it just fine.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      495.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      480.9 KB
      Views:
  13. 54RAT

54RAT

I agree with Grabrr, go with 18'. I like the 6 lug 5200 lb axles, I set mine up with a hitch type reciever on the front rail, and use an electric winch in a cradle mount to load dead cars/trucks. i keep the winch in the garage when not in use. Dont go with an angle Iron frame, you will regret it. My best ones have been channel Iron throughout. I picked my current trailer up on Craigs List for $950.00, and it is an '05 model. Deals are out there!!

14. hwy 64

hwy 64
    from oklahoma

Look at P & J Trailers. Don't know what the sell for as I bought a wrecked one. Looking it over closely, it's very well built with many extras I haven't seen in any of the dozen or so trailers I've owned over the years. Purchased the two wrecked/rebuildable trailers thru IAAI. $400 for a 16'---$475 for an 18", but the IAAI added about $250 each in extra bogus fees. Will have about $900-$1100 in each when done.

15. phat rat

phat rat

I've been wanting longer than what I have, 24', also. I'm watching that one to see what it goes for.

As been said don't buy an angle iron framed one and get one with a beaver/dove tail. Also brakes on both axles. There are good used ones out there if you keep your eyes and ears open

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I just passed up a 24" trailer that the guy took everything off the top down to the frame for scrap . Had new electric brakes , new lights , good tires and it passed inspection . It was bigger than I could use and I didn't have a truck yet to get it home . All I would have needed to do is get a bunch of 2x6 treated lumber and bolt it down to the frame .
    He was ASKING $400 for the trailer ! That was a C/L find ! They are out there all the time and way cheaper than a trailer all done up at a dealer . Plus you get to make some $$$ back for the scrap from the living quarters on top of the frame .

Retro Jim

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I want a17 foot 6inch long Featherlite :D

[​IMG]

But I have a 16 foot steel one. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Pulls great ... has 4 wheel brakes, dove tail and slide in ramps.
    Needs a little painting after all these years.

I suggest saving up a little more and buying a enclosed trailer ... :D

[​IMG]

Better security, weather is not a factor and they make GREAT STORAGE !!

18. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I had mine custom built by a local trailer shop, my dad and I shopped around and they said it would be about $3000, it was actually $2600 when we picked it up!

Mine us a 16 foot deck, but I wish it was 18, that extra 2 feet helps so much, I got surge brakes for the sole reason that anything that pulls it has working trailer brakes, and they work very well. mine is a full deck which I highly recommend it if you haul anything that might have bits falling through it like old car bodies etc.

One thing I hate about a lot of trailers is they are really high decked, this is because of springs and axles needing room to move, so with mine I went with torque flex axles instead of springs, it rides a little stiffer empty, but super smooth loaded and with the load low down it is a lot more stable which is great for loads you cannot balance rigt or if the tow vehicle is a little on the light duty side.

My other recommendation is cover that sucker with lights, lots of them, and don't get those cheap ass plastic housings that bolt to the outside of the frame, flush mounted LED's will save your ass. and buy a roll of reflective tape because people occasionally drive into trailers and claim they could not see it.

[​IMG]

Having as many places to tie things down to is a good idea too, mine doesn;t have rub railes but they are going to be added to make it more versatile, we added tracks to the floor of mine using old highway trailer wall mounted load-bar tracks, and I have tire baskets that have a flat hook that goes into the track on the one side of the wheel, and a heavy duty ratchet for on the outside, very hand and easy to use, I can load, strap and leave in just a couple minutes with this set-up.

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

An enclosed trailer is the ONLY way to go for the money. I hauled my roadster to Detroit last week for the Autorama on my cool little open trailer... I am still drying it out.

Just saying...

20. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

My previous trailer was built by myself, and I love it due to it was built to what I WANTED.

However, I no longer have the time, energy, or possibilities to build myself another one now, so I have to shop for a premade.

Anyone else have any experience with a PJ trailer, theres a place that sells them not too far from me.

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

The only downside to an enclosed trailer is that you don't get the honks and thumbs-up from fellow travelers as they admire your fine ride (or recent barn find) out on the open road. It's also a nice conversation starter when you stop for fuel and/or food. You'll be delighted to meet all the folks that used to have "one of them dune buggies" or MGs or any other of a myriad of bad guesses and uninformed commentary. You'll also enjoy telling your build (or buy) story as many times as you wish. Plus, when you're in the motel overnight....you can enjoy the constant thrill of waking up every hour or so just to peek out the window to ensure that nobody is stealing that beauty. You'll learn to sleep in the back seat while your partner/wife/kid/buddy drives during the day (cuz he slept like a baby at night).

No matter what you do, purchase or build some kind of theft protection for both the vehicle on the bed and the hitch setup.

dj

22. Appearently some folks didn't read the original post where it said "Under $3000.00"!

There aren't too many Texas Rollbacks or inclosed trailers for under 3 grand.

23. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

24. flatford39

flatford39

I have a 18" beaver tail diamond plate trailer. I bought it brand new from the manufacturer for around $2,300.00. It suits my needs perfectly. Don't go less than 18" as you will regret it and the beaver tail really assists in loading off loading.

25. Buy a trailer, make friends.
    [​IMG]

26. Yea lots of 'em!

Especially ones you never knew you had. :mad:

27. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus