Register now to get rid of these ads!

early hemi roller rocker info needed..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FEDSLED, Feb 29, 2012.

1. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Was wondering if any of you guys ever used a set of BMT billet roller rocker assemblys for an early hemi..I dont know much about them and was wondering what you all might know about them. I believe they were designed by a guy name Al but BMT produced them. there for a blown alky iron hemi..
    thanks

2. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Post a picture.

3. FEDER

FEDER

rocker pic..

Attached Files:

4. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

would it be better if spring type spacers replaced with collars or solid spacers...

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And probably worth some power too.

6. They look nice... expensive but nice. I agree, deep six the springs and get a set of collars.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  7. 73RR

73RR

The pic is too small for anything definitive but to me they look like something from Gary Patrick's shop.

8. I've got a blown 354 on alky as well and here is what I put together. Stock stands, stock exhaust rockers reinforced with weld on ribs, hard chrome shafts, and steel collars from TRWaters, with rockers converted to adjustable by 73RR. Altogether I have about $610 invested but it's a pretty solid setup.

[​IMG]

9. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Some things you need to consider when buying these types of rockers. One being the ratio , and what valve length they were made for. If they are not stock ratio, then chances are the shaft position has been moved within the stands.

Are they needle bearing arms on small diameter solid shafts? I have aluminum collars for any size rocker shafts. Shameless self plug. :)

10. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Thanks for all the info guys..
    Kerry, those look pretty stout..
    I havent got all the info yet but the price is right, if they will work. i have never seen a set quite like them. If i knew how to resize the pics i would post a better one..lol..
    Tr i sent ya an email..

thanks again

11. Kerry, does that all fit under stock valve covers without the bumps for adjustables? Do you run any spacers or extra gaskets? Which spark plug tubes do you run? Thanks.

12. Weasel

Weasel

If they're from Gary's shop you can bet they're tits....

13. It almost fits under a stock cover. I tapped some small dimples in my valve covers using a rounded lug nut and a bag of sand on the backside. No spacers or extra gaskets. I'm running the earlier steel pushrod tubes with some aftermarket aluminum collars in the valve cover. They rock.

14. You mean spark plug tubes...lol... Please show a picture of those aftermarket collars in the valve cover - if you have one available. I am only familiar with the seals that press into the sparkplug bores of the head. Thanks.

15. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Those are from Rodger Stanke. they also make some real nice aluminum 4 bolt caps for a 392. They ran the Twin Town shaker fuel funny car. real nice people..

16. Speaking of aluminum 4 bolt main caps and not to hijack this thread, but I've got (2) 392 blocks that have been converted years ago. I'll be using these on the street so can I assume I'll have to replace them with 4140 caps? Machinist by trade so making some new ones isn't a big deal. Thanks.

17. 73RR

73RR

I would.

18. 150J/F

150J/F

I run a set of billet adjustable rockers from Missile Enterprises in Michigan. Around
    30 runs per year for the last 4 years...no problems. Been over 8500 many times.
    Cam is 720 lift/280 duration. Springs at least 350# on the seat. My valves are .200
    long but they also make sets for stock length valves. Call Steve Lanius @ (517)849-
    2290. Can see pics @ missileent.com...Just another vendor to consider.
    All this fits under a set of old M/T cast Al. valve covers.
    MB

19. 150J/F

150J/F

20. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

See how this works. :D Right click on the picture then select "Open Link in New Window"

Attached Files:

21. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

I talked to steve today at missile ent. very nice and informative. the ones i found were designed by Hal canode years ago. He and steve at missile designed one together, parted ways and steve improved the design. they are some of the nicest I have seen for the price..

22. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Canode rockers ;) All the ones I have seen are as pictured, with the mill work on the top side. It is my understanding that these were all designed for longer valves.

Attached Files:

23. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

TR, If the rockers were designed for say a .200 long valve and you wanted to use them on a valve that was only .100 long would it just be a matter of milling the stands down?..ratios being stock.

Thanks again for the info
    Justyn

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You really need to compare the stands with a stock stand. I have seen some aftermarket stands that only had one of the shaft locations changed, so those could not be shortened like you suggest. If the rockers are in good condition, and the price is reasonable, the worse case scenario is a set of new stands. $400.00.

I wouldn't do a thing until I mocked the rockers up on the actual head/valve/spring combo I was using.

25. 73RR

73RR

As Tom notes, custom rocker sets can be setup for virtually any combination that was needed at that time...trouble is, once they become separated from the head you don't really know what you have without carefully checking both the stands and the rocker arms.

When I modify the shaft location, each and every stand gets marked.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Never seen BMT's. Here's a set of Titans we had. You oilems with solid shafts.:D Any of you guys ever run lash caps? Just wondering.

[​IMG]

27. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have seen solid shaft rockers set up with a spray bar type oiling.

28. How do the Titans get oil? How do you do a spray bar? I have a set of these but have not mocked them up yet.