Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Buick Special, My attempt at a mild custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Flat-Foot, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

The guy I bought them from was told they came on a 63-64 Buick Skylark. The bigger bodied ones with the better option package supposedly had these wheels. I know one thing, I haven't seen them around anywhere so if you find a set I would grab them!

Thanks Brett I appreciate it buddy!

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The grille is awesome. so simple yet so nice.
    What is the fnal plan for suspension? stying as it is now or you want to eventually go adjustable?
    I love these little cars.

3. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Thanks for the kind words. I plan on maybe lowering the back a little more and adding some air shocks. Airbags would be cool but I have other areas to spend money on for now.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's my $.02 since nobody asked for it.

I think your best money right now is going to be spent on tires. I think a nice set of bias plys with pinner whites will set the tone for the rest of the car. Then I kinda keep focusing on the rear wheel well. I keep looking at May Cause Dangerous and loving it's lines. I would want to see a tear drop rear wheel well out back. Not sure how difficult that would be but where' just dreaming right? I also have been thinking about a 1960ish T bird Hood scoop on top to level that plain from the decklid to the hood. Not sure there though....

I wish we could get a high res side profile of your car so I can see exactly how it's sitting. Is it level? I wouldn't want the rear to be too much lower then the front if any at all because on short wheel base cars like yours it starts to look broken.

Back to wheels and tires again.... I've studied a watson's cars with yours in mind and I've come to the conclusion that your car needs Buick Wires or even better cragars with dual white pin tires like these guys have...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front end looks awesome now the task is bringing the rest up to par and really digging deep into the mind of Larry Watson and what he would have done to that thing.

Is there any way we can get Mark Moriarity in on this conversation?

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Buick wires are gonna be difficult as his car is 4 bolt and they are 5 on 5. He'd have to do a 5 bolt conversion to get most of the decent wheels. I'd also say there are some decent skinny white radials that look ok, especially for a '62.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

See I have not the slightest clue what I'm talking about Zman haha!!! I'm clueless after 1948 fords. Well a guy can dream can't he?

7. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Those wheel covers don't look that great but I thought I'd throw them on because it's all I could find. The hubcaps themselves aren't bad but they don't look right in the quick photoshop I did. Lowered the car all around so make it look longer and sleeker. I wouldn't lower the back only like you said as it'll look weird I think. I think if it goes down it's gotta go down both front and back.

[​IMG]

9. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

THAT car has some sweet lines! I love the above Pchop of the car! Nice work on the grille and pans! KEEP GOING ON IT!

10. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

If you do swap out your rim and tire set up, I vote for these.

[​IMG]

11. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Thanks JJ that looks awesome!

12. How strange, I did a search for this thread and up it popped, by itself!

I was thinking about what JJ said regarding wheel arches and then saw the Tempest, that I assume this car is based on. That´s exactly what they did on the Poncho and very nice it looks too. Cool spokes!

[​IMG]

I started playing about with some of the body lines on Buick, as I always thought that the front of the front fender was a little fussy and the belt line also, as it´s kinked at the back and fades out totally at the front. Odd. I straigtened it out, just to see what it would look like and then lowered the rear arch to match.
    Just my 2c - you may hate it - and probably more work than you want on a mild Kustom, but I thought you might like to see it. If you could find some of those Tempest front fender scoops, that´d really work well I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  13. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Really cool James, you have done a few versions of this car for me and they all look rad. I would love to find those tempest vents. I check around from time to time and I haven't had any luck. Desert valley had some but they wanted a fortune for them.

A lot of people suggest those cragar 4 spokes. I like them but they are very rare. The last guy I talked to about them payed almost a grand for a good set. I like them but not that much.

14. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

I love the thread. I have a 63 Special that Im trying to figure out some wheel issues myself. I have the 15" stock rims, and the tires cut into the front fenders. the tires that are on it now are a 205 70 15. It needs a narrower tire in the front to run the 15" rims but they dont make anything for it anymore in a white wall. Only thing i found is a 165 80 r 15 BFG WW from coker for like $780. So think twice if you want to change to 15" rims. they will rub, especialy lowered. Also the 15" rims came on wagons, or special order so they are pretty hard to find.

Attached Files:

• 100.JPG
      100.JPG
      File size:
      129.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Ouch! Yes, I´d agree - they aren´t that nice.
    What do you need - 14"?

I´d have thought you could form some shallow scoops without too much agony, with your metalwork skills.

Your caps and lowered...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  16. Bit more messing about...

[​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  17. I haven't been to the Stoney Gap Fish Camp since the early 70's.

Good food at the time.

18. 1961SPECIAL

1961SPECIAL

Biggest issue im having is finding some wheels for 61 wagon. I have the stock 13's but i want something bigger maybe 15's.

19. Oooh. I think I vote for that orange.

20. What about using the quarters and rear lights from the wagon? Just an idea.

[​IMG]

21. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Wow, Thanks JamesD. I dont know how is missed your last post.

I was slacking for a while but I am back at it now..... Hoping to finsih the patches on the quarters and get the whole car in some sort of tinted sealer. I am sick of looking at primer grey and the red roof. Hope I never hear "haha the red roof inn" again.

[​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

James D is hands down the best at PhotoShoppin'. Great work bud!

23. raymay

raymay

Nice choice of car. It is different and can be open to a lot of cool design ideas.

24. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

25. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I decided I'd hang onto the Buick a little longer. I stripped all the old paint off from the doors back. I have done my best to patch all the rust which wasn't too much.
    [​IMG]

The doors and rockers are solid but the quarters are pretty beat up. Replacing the quarters is out of the question so I am gonna have to use a fair amount of filler to get it straight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to have it back together for an upcoming show and get the exhaust done. After that I am gonna get some kind of tinted sealer on the whole car.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  26. hotdamn

hotdamn

Bro I am definitely proud of the way you have jumped waist deep into this and the tenacity you have shown in staying on it!

Keep up the good work brother :)

27. I agree 100% with this. I am battling my '62 4door. I have 1/10th the skills and/or tools as you and trying hard to stay at it. Wish you were down the street and we would be weekending it every weekend ;)

28. Dang Flat-Foot, you are making me regret not buying one of these a few years ago when I had the opportunity. That is a great looking little car. I do have to admit, I like James' idea of the wagon qtrs and taillamps.

29. I did not read all the posts so please excuse me if this has already been covered.
    I remember a friend of minBuick "Small-Block"
    In 1961, Buick unveiled an entirely new small V8 engine with aluminum cylinder heads and cylinder block. Lightweight and powerful, the aluminum V8 also spawned a turbocharged version, (only in the 1962-63 Oldsmobile Cutlass version), the first ever offered in a passenger car. It became the basis of a highly successful cast iron V6 engine, the Fireball. The all-aluminum V8 engine was dropped after the 1963 model year, but was replaced with very similar cast-iron block/aluminum head for one year, and then all iron, engines.
    [edit] e 's mom had a f85 with a aluminum V/8 and stick. It was pretty quick. RThat was in '63 when I was in HS.

30. 77powerwagon

77powerwagon

keep at it dude looks killer. you've given me motivation to get my 61 four door project moving again.