Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rodders Journal 54

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Muttley-
    I hope you're not giving the publication a thumbs down. I can see the Post Office getting a bad grade, but not Rodders Journal. It's the only periodical that I subscribe to that I look forward to with great interest.

I've been a subscriber since Day 1, and I've never had an issue damaged. I've had the edges of the cardboard mailer dog-eared at times, but the issue inside was never damaged.

I think they do a phenominal job on that publication. You won't find anyone in the business that works as hard or is as fanatical about his product as Steve Coonan. And he's got a good team around him, too. Especially that HOT hard-bodied petite brunette that's always working their booth at the shows. I won't even go into detail about the pants she was wearing that resembled heatshrink at Bakersfield last year..........:p

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yep, she's caught my eye a time or two as well... Best form of advertising available!

3. Muttley

Muttley

No, of course not. The thumbs down was for the Postal Service. I always buy my Rodders Journals from the local Barnes & Noble.

4. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Nice looking '32 coupes if you'd put a front end under 'em.

5. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Just got mine today, wasn't as good as usual... but still really good. The '40 P/U was rad, the deuce coupes were alright (personal preference but the drive-trains and wheels killed them for me, that being said I'd give anything to have either)... Kaiser is cool and all but I didn't want to read about it/look at it for that many pages.

Streamliner article was great, Berdoo '32 was my favorite part of this issue.

6. petite brunette....got any pics please.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was going to snap a pict at Good Guys last fall... Then the Increadible Miss Judy figured out where the camera was pointed and managed the old "elbow to the soft spot between hip and rib cage" thing... Boney little female elbows should be registered as wepons sometimes!

8. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

The magazine stays pretty well centered in the sleeve and will survive normal handling, but if you look at that mailer it looks like the boys at the post office were playing Frisbee with it at lunchtime. I still say the blame lies with the lack of respect the postal service has towards any items they handle.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Haven't gotten #54 yet...(Barnes & Noble)

What did the '32 Coupes have for front suspension? CORVAIR??? Or something even better?

10. Nominal

Nominal

Well, Issue #53 has only appreared on shelf sale about a week ago here in New Zealand, so there a quite a few weeks to wait until #54 shows up!

11. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I'm a subscriber in NJ and just found mine waiting for me when I arrived home today. Great surprise, great issue.

12. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I guess they use a flat front cross member to get the front lower, the cars are full fendered so it looks like the front fenders are right down on the front tires or like the front spring broke. Not very attractive in my opinion but you know what they say about opinions.

13. Just received mine today. Outer cover looked like it had served sometime in Nam, but book was fine. Great stories and outstanding photos. 40 pickup is killer. Only issue I am missing is No_ONE

14. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Or more....

15. codeblu

codeblu

I have to go 50 miles in any direction to get one, so, a buddy of mine in Tampa lives down the street from Barnes and Nobles, gets me one and mails it in a box to me. It ends up being cheaper than if I drove to get one, and the postman puts the box on my porch.

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Never had a damaged issue....but do have one or two missing that were never sent....:(

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

So you guys get it for its monetary (collector) value? I use mine more for historical and build references than anything. Some of mine look like they've been bombed. Any article on days gone by (especially early dry and salt lakes) get read (more studied) numerous times. I've thought of selling them but I just can't.....

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hell no....
    Many of mine have the pages torn up and greasy.....at least the GOOD one's do...haha

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, mine are all in "reader" condition. #1 has a few loose pages as do a few others. I reference my collection at least once a week or so. I have them all and if anybody ever sees them for sale you will know something bad happened to me!

20. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Picked mine up at AutoBooks/Aerobooks in Burbank Friday when I was out that way. They had the choice of both covers. Damn store....found some other must haves as well. Agree with all on the pickup. Saw it at GNRS, but great to learn the background.

21. Muttley

Muttley

No, I just cant stand buying new books/magazines that arent perfect............probably stems from collecting comics when I was a kid. ;) :D

22. Me, too! If I decide to buy a magazine off the rack, I'll pick through all of the issues until I find one that doesn't look "molested". If you plan on getting a Rodders Journal, get the one in the back of the stack. The one in the front of the stack usually has grubby, oily fingerprints and other DNA all over it, and it's usually pretty beat up.

I really fanatical about my comic books and baseball cards as a kid. As I got older, I was that way with my LPs, too.

23. ...anybody have a pic of this issues cover?

24. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Got mine last week.
    Subscriber since issue #1
    Never a damaged issue delivered. Hell, my envelopes arrive in pristine condition! Post man is a car guy, delivers them to a well sheltered chair next to my front door.
    Missing 1-5 & 14. I'm more careful with them now. Had a water leak in a closet & lost 1-14 (bottom of the stack). I've managed to replace all the damaged copies except those 6.

25. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get mine at Books-A-Million since Borders went away.

26. ...got mine today,...nother excellent issue!...how about tha "wood" Model A model?
    Simply amazing!

27. TRJ #54 Issue Highlights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<EMBED height=338 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=600 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/wUZQ8gl4YSg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>​

28. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It looks awesome...I can't wait for my copy to arrive!!

29. alanjohnson

alanjohnson
    from alabama

Thanks for all the compliments on the 32&#8217;s. It was fun hanging out with Steve for a few days and watching him work his perfection. As always the results that Steve and the crew at TRJ are able achieve in print are amazing. I couldn&#8217;t be happier.

30. Haven't got mine yet. Soon, I hope