Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tell me what u think about this price

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fat49chevy, Mar 2, 2012.

1. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

I got a 39 chevy coupe yhat needs a lot of suspension work done, the shop quoted me about 3600$ for a front end overhaul with shocks coils bushings etc, also rear end shocks dearch leafs lower it, disk brake conversion master cylinder booster etc. is this a good price for this work or im I getting jacked?

2. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

i know someone who paid almost that much to just get front disc brakes on a 50s buick

3. Sounds like going rate, last front end job I did was $2000 on a 1979 Bronco and I didn't replace everything. throw in a disk brake conversion and all the parts, plus working on the rear and it starts getting up there. American made parts are expensive.....

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how much of that is parts? paying someone to work on your car gets expensive.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Check the prices on all the parts you need and you'll see they are not off by much.

6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Price it out, estimate Disc brake kit 425.00
    suspension rebuild parts 350 With shocks
    springs dearch 200.00
    master cylinder kit 395.00
    your at 1370.00 the labor leaves 2230.00 and if they are charging say 100.00 an hour thats just over 22 hrs to do the work at 8 hr days thats almost 3 days. That does not seem to far off considering there is going to be a mark up on the parts and you gotta factor in the brake line mods they will need to do. and assuming one guy is going to be doing all the work. I think it may be on the cheap side honestly for that amount of work.

7. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

Thanks guys I think it is worth it. This is a reputable shop and he guarantees his work.

8. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Why isn't doing it yourself an option?
    For that much money you could buy all the parts, tools, and materials for a small shed to work under.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Is this a stock beam axle frontend or the late style knee-action or a MII or other conversion already under there.

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

It's a decent price.

11. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

Got no time, live in apts no garage, and some things are better left for the proffessionals, I already have about a year of working on it myself every spare weekend I can.

12. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

Its got the knee action in all its 72 year old glory.

13. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I just did one of these on my own 39 coupe. Either these guys work very slowly or they have an extremely high shop rate. Shop around. Once the parts are in it should be one day to put it together if one tends to business. The parts are not that bad pricewise nor are there a lot of them.

Please don't de-arch the springs unless you are using the torque tube. You will discover why suddenly, expensively and at the worst possible time.

Its got the knee action in all its 72 year old glory.

What you have is what has become to be called "knee action" but is the upper A frame with the shock built into it. The original '34 - '38 "knee action" was quite something else.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  14. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I'm with Mike......Why don't you just do it yourself and save a ton of money.... If you want to play you have to PAY.......

15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Add up the parts and double it. That's your price.