Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod and Custom magazine???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brokenspoke, Feb 28, 2012.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I had let all my subscriptions expire 4 years ago...About 3 years ago Rod and Custom ran a special of 36 issues for approx 40 bucks...I figered what the heck....and paid for the subscription....now the subscription is expired and Rod and Custon has turned it over to a collection agency for me not renewing the subscription....I received a notice in the mail today for the collection agency.....any one else have a simular experence? I'm going to contact Rod and Custom in the AM

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Sounds like a con....

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

4. I think you checked the box were you can have it renewed using the same credit card or bank account, if you changed either you might have a problem or you got scammed.:eek:

5. johnod

johnod

Nope , haven't had any prob with my sub.

6. brandon

brandon

Had same issue with another mag....got a letter from collection agency. I received a couple issues and nothing else. Finally called and told them I had cancelled check and only received something like 3 magazines. Once I mentioned cancelled check, magazines started showing back up....

7. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

57 chevy gasser on the cover is absolute eye candy,Talked to the guy who built it at the oldtime drags.I tellin you best I have seen no goofy crap just beauty.He is from north of Dayton

8. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

they have people that sell mags for them,some of them are pretty shady

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

They can't "sue" you (or anyone) for not renewing after your first subsciption runs out! Gary

10. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

There is a company out of Florida that I have had a simular problem with. They called me and told me that I needed to renew my subscription and wanted me to do it over the phone. I told them that I did not do any business like this over the phone and to send me something in writing. I received a letter from them later saying that I had agreed to renew the magazine over the phone and that I had not paid. They were going to turn me over to a collection agency. I called and spoke with a manager and got the problem resolved. I later spoke with the editor of Street Rodder at Louisville and told him the problem and he said that they had a lot of problems with that company and to go renew on the magazine's website.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a similar problem with a newspaper subscription. Turns out the fine print had something to the effect that the subscription automatically renewed until I told them to cancel even though I had a cancelled check for only one year. They ended up "writing off" the bill. Beware of any subscriptions even if you only pay for a set time period and NEVER give them your credit card.

Tim

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I just let mine expire (according to them) and it hasn’t stopped coming.
    I got sick of all the crap they kept sending me in the mail … every week I was getting some envelope from them

13. They want to take you to court,
    because you didn't RENEW a subscription
    that doesn't even cover the cost of postage ?

Last time a collection agency came after me, for no reason,
    I told them "I'm sure the judge will agree with you."
    That was the end of that.

Let us know what head office says.
    This might cost more that a shitty subscription.

14. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

I agree with 296 V8. Just got tired of the never ending money saving crap. Didnt even know when my subscription expired. I let it go after many years of subing.

15. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

I had a problem with Rod and Custom a few years back when my subscripyion ran out I wouldn't renew and I got a very rude letter from their people who they contract thru to do there subscriptions. I couldn't believe how rude the letter was and showed it to some friends to see what they thought of the letter and they couldn't believe what they read.
    Then about a year later I had a phone call from them wanting me to resubscribe. I told the guy what had happened and he was "sorry for that". So I told him to mail me out the newest offer they had and I would think about subscibing again. Next thing I know I'm geting Rod and Custom in the mail and a bill for the subscription. I called the 800 number and explained to a superviosor my conversation with there employee and that I didn't agree to restart my subscription. She told me that the phone people will process it as a sale for them then they get paid and they have moved on before anyone in the company catches them being scammed by there own employee.
    I thought it was great that they got scammed by there own person after treating me the way they did in the first letter. In the end they cancled the subsription and said I could keep the copies I had recieved.
    Scarry thing is after all these years I just sent in a subscription Sunday. I guess I will have to keep paying for the rest of my life so I don't have problems with these people. LOL. Rod and custom needs to find a better company to do business with.

16. Yeah, watch out!! I bought one thru some charity clearing house deal. Didn't get any magazines for a few months so I called about it. They said it takes about 9 months to a year before the subscription starts!! :eek: What a bunch of crap!! When I did start getting them, it was touch and go at first...ass holes!! :mad:

17. The problem with a big magazine outfit is you have all these like subcontractors selling subscriptions who do all this shady crap to try to make a buck off you. I'm not sure they have much control, certainly the guys editing the magazine have nothing to do with it. It's like that deal where they sent out a DVD with a bill and expected you to pay for it, figuring more people would fall for it and pay than would realize they don't have to pay and tell them to pound sand.

18. alchemy

alchemy

I have renewed Rod N Cutom a couple times at the local GoodGuys show with a vendor who sells for many different magazines. I always get the RNC and Street Rodder combo for around $30 for three years. A huge deal if you ask me. And I always wonder if they will really show up. But they do. Maybe just look around at your local GoodGuys or other large show for a magazine sub vendor. You'll probably get a free flashlight or all-in-one knife to boot.

19. Any updates ???

20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I did the same as ALChemy,I think it was 3 years for $40bucks,great deal and no problems. I was told the advertisers just pay more, works for me.

21. Dirk35

Dirk35

I subscribe through my daughter's school. They want checks, not DEBT cards. I pay a little more but the extra goes to help whatever activity she has a fund raiser for said activity.

I do appreiacte the heads-up.

This is a good post.

22. choke

choke

I paid for a subscription a year ago. I'm still waiting for my first magazine! I'll never buy an isuue of that rag again!!!!

23. I renewed via an "official" R&C letterhead. I still get last chance notices. They must be third party hacks. I taoos 'em. IF my rags don't show in after the August issue then I know it's BS. The bastards cashed the check.

JMC