Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1934c.a. Detroit Sears store on Gratiot Avenue

[​IMG]
    photo: Wayne State Univ archives

2. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

Nice post Doc. This was the USS Forrestal carrier CVA-59 around 63-64. My dad was fire and rescue on the Forrestal and stood ring side while this C-130 made its landing and take off that day. He said it was an awesome sight seeing such a huge plane on the flight deck.

3. duojet

duojet

My Dad served on the New Jersey 1951-52. He served at least the first half of that time in one of the 16" gun turrets. He is still with us at 89, and to this day, when asked about that time will only say "I served hoping you wouldn't have to". My Mom gave me some great action shots he took of that time and clippings from Parade Magazine, but he just doesn't like to (won't) talk about it.

Greatest generation? No argument from me.

Paul

'56 Nomad

4. 1939 Highland Park MI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1942 Detroit area
    [​IMG]

6. It used to sit at the entrance to the Ambassador Bridge to Canada when I was a small child and they moved it to the Michigan State Fairgrounds on Woodward Avenue.

7. 11E

11E
    from USA

From me either. Original print from image taken for newspaper of my dad's induction into the USAAF in 1944. He dressed for the occasion. Somewhere in the D.C. area. [​IMG]

8. 1967 Detroit - Michigan Governor George Romney discussing with plant workers during race riots. I met him in '62; he came into town in a Rambler Ambassador (he was former head of AMC)
    [​IMG]

9. 1930s c.a. Detroit - captions says 'Gangster Sam Toco with Mammie Toco'
    [​IMG]

10. L4rryc

L4rryc
    from Austin, TX

These were in the collection of slides that I pulled from my Dad's basement after he passed away in 2010. He was from northern California. I assume these are late 50's or early 60's. Thought you guys might like 'em.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. moefuzz

moefuzz

Awesome Shots Larry!

I find it hard to believe that Lyle Lovette and Berock Obama where hotrodding buddies way back then:rolleyes:

12. fordwrench

fordwrench

OK here 2 that are dying for captions. The first has my Grandpa Homer looking at a map

[​IMG]

And this one has my Grandpa Homer looking at his daughter in law Eliene

[​IMG]

13. 1945 Detroit VJ Day celebration
    [​IMG]

14. 1940s WWII era Detroit MI Army enlistees heading to induction center
    [​IMG]

15. racerron, your father in law, considering he was in Alaska at the beginning of the war, probably served in the Seventh Division ... they have quite a respectable history ... chased the Japanese off the Aluetian Islands and then went on to the south pacific. The Bayonet Division.

16. WaldorfNomad

WaldorfNomad

Why don't all you Fonda haters lighten up. If anyone should be tried for treason maybe they should have tried the bastards that got us into that GD war based on a lie. Please, please stick to the old cars and lay off the politics. PLEASE!

17. fordwrench

fordwrench

So I'm going through my Grandpas pictures and looking at one of those little flip books you used to get your pictures in, most are of landscapes from his trip from Michigan to Wisconsin and get to the next to the last page and see this !!!

[​IMG]

Then this on the last page. Notice that in the first picture even the passengers door is blown open and in the second picture the door is wrapped around the trucks bumper.

[​IMG]

I have no idea for sure what happend but Grandpa never said anything about it so he must of just came across the accident.

52RAM108 likes this.
  18. moefuzz

moefuzz

Ok you asked for it....

Eliene: Most people don't know that both Homer and I guest starred on I Love Lucy totally naked.
    Homer: Of course, some of us needed a wide-angle lens.
    Eliene : And some of us needed a zoom...

:p

19. fordwrench

fordwrench

20. I am thinking that car show is at the cow palace due to the diagonal struts in the wall .. nice cars ... and the strip is at half moon bay .... but I could be wrong on both counts..... nic pics, thanks

21. fordwrench

fordwrench

My dad and yours truly. I miss the old guy.

[​IMG]

22. Dad-nabbit Homer, I have told you over and over, "Real men dont need directions" ... now fold up the damn map or put on a dress!

23. fordwrench

fordwrench

Grandpa's Jensen's patent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. He passed away in '04, his brother in 2000 and as with many vets, they didn't discuss their war memories too much. He did tell me that they were both shore artillery, and that they hopped around many different islands after leaving Alaska.

25. fordwrench

fordwrench

location unknown for sure but may be Lake Superior or Lake Michigan

[​IMG]

26. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

27. fordwrench

fordwrench

Grandpa Homer in 1929

[​IMG]

28. fordwrench

fordwrench

29. For those that had a family member serve then you can request a copy of their personel file and a re-issuance of any and all ribbons and medals .... if you are a direct relative as in son/daughter nephew etc (I think even grandchild) then this service is free.

It takes about 6 months to process so be patient, but you will never be sorry you took advantage of this "gift" from the government.

Here is the link to get the ball rolling ..... http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/#cost

30. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.