Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Sonic Bird, a 60´s hotrod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodPunk, Mar 1, 2012.

1. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

i figured i post some pictures of my new build, it started with a 28-29 model-A cowl that i bought 5 years ago. i allways wanted to build something of my own of that cowl. the rear of the body is a hood from a volvo duett, the old hood is narrowed at the end, to get a littlebit diffrent look. the tail lights are from an DKW f-11. the dash is a 1953 ford. at the moment the body has a duvall-styled windsheild. but thats going to change, i´ve just bought a 1960 thunderbird roof that i´m going to use on the car. so the duvall windsheild is just going to be on the car this summer, so next winter i have to build doors and make the roof fit the body and somehow use a panorama windsheild from the thunderbird /Martin

Attached Files:

2. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

this is how it all got started.

Attached Files:

3. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

here are some inspiration for the build, panorama windsheild on a hotrod.

Attached Files:

4. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

5. Gromit

Gromit

That is seriously cool!

I have wanted to build a "special" for some time. using a hood for the back is very clever.

6. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

thanks! it get´s a really nice shape :) but i guess im not the first to use a hood when making a boat tail body.

7. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

here´s some build ups pictures of the body!

Attached Files:

8. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

everything looks cool with radir wheels! :D

Attached Files:

9. There is a simmilar build on here somewhere. He used an old for pick up hood for his rear

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Looks good to me!

11. SvenOla

SvenOla
    from Sweden

Cool project !

12. Squablow

Squablow

A 60's show rod style boat tail speedster? I approve. Would like to see more. Very curious as to how you plan to get the T-bird windshield to work considering it's probably a foot and a half wider and a foot taller than it needs to be in stock form.

13. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Keith Weezner is an inspiration to us all !!! Well, me anyway. I guess I shouldn't speak for everyone.

14. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

far out i dig that ! i see in the back ground the a is torn apart what's up with that ?

15. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

Thanx, glad you like it. As for the windsheild, i think i have to use plexi.. Making a custom made windsheild is not cheap i guess. I only have the vision of the thunderbird roof in my head, at the moment the roof is laying in the garage in its stock form. its going to be fun to see how mutch the roof needs to be sectioned, narrowed etc. /Martin

16. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

Totally agree! Got to thank keith for beeing a great artist and a big inspiration. :)

17. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

I guess you meen the tudor? That body is going to mounted on a another chassi. making that car a 4 passenger car. In 60's style, glasroof i guess. but thats a diffrent story.
    :) /Martin

18. Lucky77

Lucky77

Yup, I'll definitely be watching this one. Cool so far.

19. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

Here's photoshopped picture with a edsel -58 roof, from the beginning this was the plan, but the roof that i found at the junkyard was waaaaay to rusty.. i think, useing a -60 thunderbird roof will work better. I guess im going to be hated by thunderbird restorers.. /Martin

Attached Files:

20. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

Thanks alot! :) i'll try to update this thread more offen. /Martin

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Your tudor is pretty awesome already. This...sweden rules.

22. trammel

trammel

I enjoy seeing the radical cars being built . Keep us posted good job.

23. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

thanks for all the kind words! here´s some more buildup pictures. some better pictures of the tail lights, i had to do something on the side of the body, i felt so empty.. and a scoop would be cool. /martin

Attached Files:

24. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

first time outside and sitting on a chassi. here with a un-droppad model-a axel, and the edsel grill, the edsel grill looked way to big for this small roadster body... had to go with a 32a grill shell and a 4" dropped axel. /martin

Attached Files:

25. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

the big diffrent with a 32 grill shell, don´t know were the headlight are from.. just o swap find! :) /martin

Attached Files:

26. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

makeing some floor, the tunnel over the transmission is geting really big! high placed motor and transmission and useing a Mr Gasket vertigate shifter placed on the right side of the transmission, the shifter had to be placed on the right side just to clear the steering wheel. all the arms had to go over/across the top of the transmission. the steeringwheel colum is a brass tube, and im useing a "steering colum through firewall mount" to hold the brass tube. had to make some brakets to weld the mount, the aluminium is going to me fully polisched later. /martin

Attached Files:

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Using the hood for the rear reminds me of that Nash that Chris Casny built up. Pretty damn cool, I want to do something like this someday

28. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

cool! :) more boat tails to the people! ;) is there any pictures on hamb of that build? /martin

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

It was in R&C a couple years back.