Register now to get rid of these ads!

-61 cadillac convertible rack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foppa, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Foppa

Foppa

Hello,
    I'm in the middle of converting my 61 Cadillac to an Convertible and i need a convertible rack. I have found a guy here in near me in sweden that sells many parts and he's got an rack from a -62 cadillac (i know that 61 and 62 are the same.) But since it's cadillac i think that he's just might be a little expensive and maybe could save some money by buying a convertible rack from another car?

So is there any other GM convertible rack that will fit?
    If i can take a rack from any other make or year? that use the same rack?

I know that -60 buick convertible rack is the same as cadillac -59 convertible.. for an example..

And for a little notice, My windshield, i have already sunken in to the cowl area 2", so the rack probably will have to be adjusted some to fit anyway.. any advice?

Thanks
    Foppa

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

rack? You mean the convertible top assembly? There's a US-published Holland Interchange Manual that most stateside wrecking yards use. See if you can find one from the years you're concerned with.

best of luck

3. Foppa

Foppa

yeah exactly what i mean. :)
    hmmpf, that sounds like a tought one to find..

4. themotherbrain

themotherbrain
    from New York

Hi. I can't help personally, but check out the 61-62 Cadillac Owners Group.

http://www.61-62cadillacs.com/forums/index.php

Maybe you'll get lucky and somebody has a parts car they can scavenge it from.

Also, I'm not positive, but I think a 61 impala top might fit as well as it shares the same glass on the windshield and front door in the hardtop models. I'm not sure if that follows over to the convertible though. The convertibles have different windshields I know at the very least so with you having a hardtop, I'm not sure how it would change the fit. I know you said you are modifying it, but wanted to give a heads up on that. I can check my interchange manual when I'm home later to try for a definite answer to your original question though.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012