Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Belair mods questions - 283 engine and front disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terk, Mar 1, 2012.

1. terk

terk
    from Houston

I have a 54 Belair sedan with a 283 and stock cast iron intake and 2bbl carb for that engine with a powerglide and an open rear end. As far as I know, everything in the engine is stock but I have not opened it up. I wanted to upgrade to an aluminum intake and 4bbl carb (for looks and performance), so I just bought a Edelbrock Streetmaster and 650cfm (believed to be, not certified) Holley 4bbl off the HAMB. Even though I did my research and was looking for a dual plane intake and around 500-600cfm carb for my SBC, I bought this combo because it was a good deal. Sometimes I'm just a sucker...

So, I am asking for some help. I know that this 650crfm will probably be overkill if I do indeed have a stock engine, but I think the Streetmaster should work for my application but may not be the best choice. I would be willing to throw some performance parts at this engine, and try my hand and replacing the camshaft/lifters/rollers/etc. if needed also. I have been on the fence about changing out to a 350 from the 283 strictly from a performance and parts standpoint, but since I have zero experience fabricating (such as motor mounts) and trying to keep this project "low" budget, I'm not sure it is worth the effort for what I am trying to achieve (just looking for a cruiser).

I also have a front disc brake kit, and not 100% certain on what I need in regards to the master cylinder. I know I will need one with a proportioning valve, but I have heard that a booster may not be necessary. The master is currently mounted on the frame, and I would like to keep it there but I will be re-running brake lines anyway so if I have to move it to the firewall, I can?

Thanks everyone,
    Nick

Attached Files:

2. belle

belle

you seam to understand that you need to match your parts on how you intend to use it , and what it is in. a heavy heavy with highway gears needs power at cruising rpms

i'm not saying that you shouldn't use that manifold , but it think you would be better off with a dual plane

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Me too.....especially when every swap meet I attend has aluminum dual plane intakes for sbcs dropping out of the trees.

I see that your carb is a vacuum secondary model, which leads me to believe it'a a 600. Get the list # from the driver side front of the air horn and we'll tell you for sure. Not much worry about overcarburetion with that one; the secondary throttle plates won't open unless the engine's pulling enough vacuum to make it happen.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I had good luck with a Streetmaster and a 450 Holley on a 327 in a mini truck years ago. The motor was a stock rebuild and the manifold was given to me by a friend. The truck was a daily driver for my Father who used it to commute to work. The rear end was a 9" with 2:76 gears.

5. terk

terk
    from Houston

The list # is 1850-2, so you are right, it is a 600CFM carb. I'm going to try this new intake and carb out, see what happens. Worst case, I run with my stock setup that I have sitting here.

6. terk

terk
    from Houston

Runs like a champ! Sounds very clean, great idle and startup. This picture was before I got my vacuum, fuel line, or belt on.
    [​IMG]