Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 chevy fleetline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FIRME56, Feb 24, 2012.

1. FIRME56

FIRME56

IM WORKING ON MY DADS 48 FLEETLINE. ITS A MILD KUSTOM, NOTHIN TO CRAZY. NOT A LOWRIDER!!! I RAN INTO A ISSUE WITH THE SUSPENSION. WE WANT TO AIRBAG IT, BUT MY POPS DOESNT WANT TO MUSTANGii IT UP FRONT OR SWAP THE TRAN. SO, THE 235 INLINE STAYS; THE TRAN STAYS. . . AND YES THE TORQUE TUBE!! :mad: NOW IM RUNNING INTO TROUBLE GETTING THIS THING ON THE FLOOR, OR ATLEAST CLOSE TO IT. ANYONE HAVE IDEAS. PICS WOULD HELP
    IM GONNA PUT A COUPLE OF PICS MYSELF. . .

Attached Files:

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nice Fleetline but if you want it to pancake, you will have to modify the suspension but then again, you said it's your Father's car so the choice should be his. By the way, here's a link you will find interesting.

http://www.1948chevy.com/

3. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

For the rear, you can modify the spring pack for air bags by removing all the leafs except the main, then stack air bags between the axle and frame. It won't get as low as a 4link and c-notch, but it will give you some adjustability.

The front end will require some more customization, but the coil springs can be replaced with air bags. if you don't know what you're doing then it's time to start doing research.

The first thing to do is get a water pump on that motor -- at least close the open hole. I'll tell you now, you're going to run into problems with air bags on the front end, because the front shocks will interfere with running air lines. You'll have to build a hat to space the bag down from the upper shock/arm mount, which will limit the amount of drop you'll get out of the front end. If replacing the front suspension is out of the question, then I'd look at either drop coils or spindles, and air bags on just the back end. Make that a taildragger but still driveable on the street.

4. FIRME56

FIRME56

Haha thanks. . . Yeah the water pump is going on soon.

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

These things look better *not* on the ground anyways. Looks like a nice car.

6. i'll suggest that you DONT run a rear set up as suggested above. I know alot of guys do it, and many do just fine, but i've seen it personally and it does all kinds of weird things to the spring. i've seen more than one broken main leaf because of this arrangement. do a little searching and i'm pretty sure you can find a bolt in rear bag kit. the front on the other hand....

i'm not sure, but it looks like you could possibly modify the spring pocket and the lower control arm to fit a bag up in there, then just mount a tube shock behind.

someone on here has surely done it.

do a search for 'baggin a stock 49 front end'. not the same exactly, but it will give you an idea whether or not you can pull it off with your front end.

all that said, i agree with the above poster. just get it nice and static low and CRUISE!

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I think it's your fathers car is trying to tell you it doesn't want to be bagged ;)

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Exaaaactly... Dont bag it. Just lower it the old way and be done.

9. Im with Lobe Stat....dont bag it...leave it the way it was done back then, no hi tech bullshit.

Ive lowered mine this way and shes fine, just needs a mild C section for a little more axle clearance.

Rat

Attached Files:

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Hey R.B.
    Nice Bomb

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

yes !

12. 60 ford

60 ford

Great looking car.

13. 55bomba

55bomba

14. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

15. FIRME56

FIRME56

How did you go about doin it? Bags just may be out of the picture. . .

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

Dropped spindles on the front. Lowering springs and shocks front and rear. Add lowering blocks to rear until stance is just right. Trim bump stops (but not so much that metal hits metal). Then drive.

You can just cut the front coils and add tall lowering blocks to the rear, but it won't drive as nice.

17. RI5KY

RI5KY

Looking very nice

18. FIRME56

FIRME56

Sorry its been a while. Here are the latest photo updates. Installing the badass jiminez bros customs 2link. Look them up; their outta riverside ca. . . . Ask for Cain

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  19. FIRME56

FIRME56

Stage two on the jiminez bros 2link install . . .

Attached Files:

20. FIRME56

FIRME56

Got everything welded up. Gotta finish the panhard bar, also install the shocks. Jiminez bros kit is pretty simple. All pre cut ready to roll... Easy, reasonably priced... Bitchin outcome!!! Trust me
    jiminez bros customs, riverside ca

Attached Files:

21. FIRME56

FIRME56

Stay tuned. . . . Cain and Jobe of jbc are in the works on my mustang ii crossmember. Decided to let the pros step in . . . I'll post pics asap

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  22. MR.RUST BUCKET

MR.RUST BUCKET

23. FIRME56

FIRME56

Thanks Bucket,
    You working on an aerosedan yourself? We a far and few between...

24. The Guidster!

The Guidster!
    from Phoenix

Sweeeet ride Man I love fleetlines! How did you convince your Pop's to let you modify the car? If the suspension is done right you won't be sorry!

Here's Mine not as clean as your ride but it lay's frame (picture is at ride height) It's on bags with a mustang II, Rear is linked with a tourque arm and wats link and it rides/rode great

Keep up the good work!

Attached Files:

25. EnfadosoS

EnfadosoS

Looking good bro I hope to build one one of these days!!

26. ugotd8

ugotd8
    from Denver

Would love to see an update on this one. What did you do with the driveshaft ? One-piece or two-piece ?

27. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Im loving this ride.......great job!

28. FIRME56

FIRME56

I decided to go with a two piece drive shaft. . That way I didn't have to cut my floor or have a giant tunnel runnin through... sorry its been so long. More pics to come
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

29. Nice project. going to look nice and low.

30. Aeroman

Aeroman

Looks sharp!!!

I'm building a '47 Aerosedan myself. Good luck. (47Fleetline.com)