Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Front suspension to use?? MII?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 01freeman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. 01freeman

01freeman
    from Michigan

The current project I am working on is a 65 F100 short box. I want to add a short arm long arm front suspension to the truck. Which is a good one to use. I have been looking at the TCI Mustang II and their new IFS system with adjustable coil overs. I want something that is going to handle the best and work the best for the truck. It is a BBF manual trans powered truck.
    What are your opinion. What do the experts have to say.
    Thanks

2. I doubt that you really want one of us to answer your question. Maybe one of the street rodders will tell you what you want to hear.

If you want it to handle a late Corvette suspension is what you want. MII is no longer cutting edge.

Instead of TCI or Fatmans ot whatever, why don't you contact ElPolaco here on the board. he has been producing some pretty slick stuff for fords.

Have you fed your HAMBer today?

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

I'll second on contacting ElPolaco (I thought it was El Polacko??). He da man with suspension and his personal ride is a '60s F100.

4. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Stay away from TCI. I bought one of there kits through a dealer and it was missing an upper control arm bushing in it. I am having hell getting them or the dealer to replace it. Once they get your money they are done with you.

5. Hell I don't know for sure, I have just been calling him Polaco ever since we met. :) I don't even know his real name.

But you are correct about his knowlege of suspension and Ford trucks. he's a wizard.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

ElPolacko! Don't worry gang, he's been my closest friend for twenty something years now and still spell his screen name one of four different ways... Think that's bad? Try actually spelling that collection of "S's" and "Z's" that is his actual last name! aint gonna happen among sane people!

That said, Call him NOW! 602 278 6800. His Dakota front end stuff is absolutely legendary in the annals of F100dom. A partnership breakup caused him to stop producing them sometime back, but he is now in the process of redesigning and simplfying the whole kit and reintroducing them. All sorts of cool stuff built into the deal this time around to make these kits absolutely fool proof, and I do promise they are the best handling, riding, and performing front end you can hang under an F-100. Period.

The main reason why the Mustang II deal is not good for a truck is simply scale and geometery. To install in an F100 type application, a Mustang II has to be widened considerably. Most companies doing this dont bother to correct geometric factors like roll center when doing this. Leaving a truck application feeling tail happy in most cases. Also, in honest terms, Mustang II stuff, while great in your average fat fendered car with it's stock geometry intact, is just a bit light weight when asked to hold up a truck and deal with typical road dynamics. Not to mention aftermarket "poor ideas" (my terminology) like stutless lower arms, lack of anti dive, altered inner pivot points, etc. Just flat not a great idea under a truck.

Give him a yell, trust me!

7. jazz1

jazz1

I used Fatman M11 on my 41 Int'l. They were great to deal with,,tech line open with all the answers,, however for your own ride I would take a look at what EL Polacko offers,,,could be more bang for your buck...I no expert,,,just did not want a finished product that steered like a shopping cart.

[​IMG]

8. Yes, contact Steve, Elpolacko here on the board. He is getting back into production with his Dakota based front ends.

9. Phil1934

Phil1934

Crown Vic front end is also popular

10. His name is Steve? Damn that is my go to name for everyone whose name I can't remember.

You gotta PM the Raven he'll get a kick out of it.

11. I won't have the 65-66 front ends together for a month or so. Still finalizing the 61-64 kits. You can keep up with the progress here on my website.

This is the latest blog on the kits.

Old kit, out of production for years now.

[​IMG]

New kit in pre-production right now, full production in a month or so.

[​IMG]

12. chevyburb

chevyburb

for another option, you might contact Seth @ NO LIMIT ENG. He cut his teeth on Ford truck stuff and has built some excellant trucks.

13. Here is a render of the final kit

[​IMG]

14. polaco,
    Beautiful stuff glad you jumped on here.

I think if I was building a truck I could probably wait a month of so for the good stuff.

15. I know the time thing is just killing the 65-66 guys. Why that truck is more popular than the earlier ones beats me, but it just is.

I am going to need one of those trucks soon. I have a few guys local willing to be guinea pigs for me, so it will happen. I'm just a bit overwhelmed at the moment getting this particular kit to market.

16. slow4dr

slow4dr
    from SoCal

You can make a MII "based" kit handle very well. We have done extensive testing with them and have even come real close to 50 mph through the slalom with 200 treadwear tires in a Nova. However, the custom kits(not MII based) from Heidt's, Scott's, TCI, No Limit and even the flat out crossmember kit designed for C4 parts will be a better starting point.

or Rob ;)

PM sent

-J