Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help identifying this Vintage Lakester?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CanepaGirl, Feb 28, 2012.

1. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

i just looked at the pirate 4x4 thread, and all i have to say is do a lot of research on those parts before you sell any, theres a gold mine in those storage trailers. Wow!

2. Sorry for your loss.

If you haven't yet, hit the link to the pirate4x4 thread. Astounding collection of vintage speed stuff there in addition to this vintage lakester.

Best of luck

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow. that's a lot of good stuff you posted on the 4x4 site. you need to post those things here, there is probably nothing in those trailers that someone here could not identify and give some sort of value for.

4. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

Sorry, being a mod myself on Pirate, I should know better. :eek:

Done http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675988

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sorry to hear about your dad!

Welcome from Greeley, Co!

....and I can get you tommy knocker root beer!

6. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

I LOVE that root beer....:D

7. Beau, I think you're out of luck on that request.... I think I'd consider it pretty rare when the Wayne items you'd requested are on a registered, serial numbered list....

8. Yes, look up Glen Barrett over there, he will know.

9. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Very sorry for your loss...

I was one of many kids that worked for your father and learned quite a bit during my brief time in his shop.

A few times he told me of going to Bonneville, Drag Racing in Denver, and some other places, just can't remember any details.

I'll always remember the McDonalds coffee, his old Ford pickup, him lighting matches up in the office, and that old hot tank outside!

Dave

10. Just read through your posing over on the 4x4 forum.

You and your sister have a pretty big task in front of you with trying to keep the city off your back long enough for you to dispose of all the things your father saved over all those years. Sounds like the want a "value" for tax purposes, well, the quick value is scrap value, given time and effort "real" value could be 10x that...

As to value, like anything, things are only worth what someone will give you for them.

There is no "list of prices" for all those awesome parts that your father saved. Only time and and the right buyer will get you a reasonable/top dollar for a lot of the vintage/traditional stuff. Unfortunately it sounds like you will not have the time, the city and your own lives, to maximize your dollars.

Sounds like you need a full time employee and some helpers just to sort/catalog and somehow sell what you and your sister do not want to keep.

Maybe do a 'net search for an auctioneer that handles this type of a collect, an auction will more than likely bring you higher prices but then you must pay for the auctioneer. Dam rock and a hard place...

I second the thought of doing a "quick" cleanup for some of the more "less valuable" items that are just sitting in the yard and moving, storing the bonnie car and its bits somewhere safe.

As to running the car at Bonneville again, you would need major $$$ reconstruction to meet the current safety regs. Maybe reconstruct it to show only.

The vintage pieces could bring top dollar given the right buyer, but that takes time :(

And you know "gearheads" always want a "good deal".

I could say to you I'll give you $200 a unit for the injection setups and $350 per quickchange, on the surface that may sound ok just to move them, but given time you could prolly get 600-1000 each for the injections and 800-1500 each for the quickchanges, its all a matching the right buyer to your parts.

I haven't helped any have I....

Good luck and spank those City people with a lawyer.

11. I would suggest you post this, or at least the H.A.M.B. link, to
    www.landracing.com

There are a LOT of old time Bonneville and Dry Lakes guys on that forum that can probably answer any questions you might have now or in the future of the restoration.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

JG

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bebe: My foster father came over a week ago to see my new shop, told me about your Dad's passing.
    Pop (Pinky Cecil) was a long time friend of your Dad, along with his brother, Jerry Cecil.
    (Calif Sprint car champ 2 yrs., Don Canepa engines)

Regretfully, the "one of these days" visit I had planned with Don has now passed.

Condolences to you and your sister.

13. rick finch

rick finch

Bebe, first of all welcome to the HAMB. Would this "Monte Vista" be connected to the Cupertino/San Jose area? I know a few guys that still live in that area...

[​IMG]

14. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

Glad you chimed in Dave. Good to hear from Dad's helpers.... there were a lot of them. We still light the matches in the shop.... for the same reason....lol :D

15. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

Thanks Mike, your family was well represented at the services. Come see us at the next Turlock meet.... we'll be there.

Jeanne

16. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Haha! You're in luck-I have to go very near Auburn next month, on my wat to Chico!

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As the others have said, sorry to hear of your loss and I sure hope you can get all the info you need on the car.

But Ifn I was you, I'd keep everything until you get the car restored, there may be stuff in his stash that were once part of that specific car. Gary

Good luck, Gary

18. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

The original owner of this car was a character named Glenn Bonnema. He passed away 12 or so years ago. Pop's picked it up when Glenn's kids gave it to him. Glenn and pop's were best buds. Pop's built the motor for this too when it raced. I'll have to look around to see if there are some action pic's laying around and post them up.

19. unbelievably cool...I went through just a handfull of the pages on Pirate, an unsurmountable pile of amazing stuff....and quite entertaining listening to some of the comments identifying stuff that is wau out in left field...;)...please keep us informed over here, 99% of that stuff is what we dream of (and NEED!)...sorry for your loss.

Hans

20. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

LOL....sorry :eek: Thanks for chiming in.

Bebe

21. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

Pinky and Jerry came to the Speedway for his services - I couldn't beleive how great your dad looked, and Jerry too.

It was great to see them, Jerry was really torn up.

22. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

awesome!!!!

23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

first off ,sorry for your loss.what an amazing collection,and to have to thru and sort out. It seems like you and your sister are getting a pretty good handle on it.good luck,make your daddy proud.

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just went through this thread and the Pirate thread.. First and foremost, sorry about your loss. It's a heavy one to have but it looks like you and your dad were close. Very good thing to keep in mind. Second, your dad left you girls quite an impressive collection! I would love to dig through those and help with identifying them if I didn't live across half the country from you.

Lathes, flathead and inline speed parts, Algon, Hilborn and Enderle injection manifolds, old tool boxes and equipment.. your dad knew his stuff for sure! The HAMB will be more than willing to help you out with identifying parts and such.

What a way to introduce yourself here.. Good luck with your endeavor.

25. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

Thanks all :)

Mike this is for you - make sure you copy it and send it to Pinky

[​IMG]

This is Pop on the left, Pinky's brother Jerry Cecil in the middle and Uncle LouLou (Lou Morelli) on the right. This was a NASCAR Sportsman of the Year Celebration at the Elks Club in Watsonville - not sure what year, but if Dad doesn't have a beard it's '68-'70.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. 296ardun

296ardun

Your dad left his legacy in good hands!! Sure, it will take time and skill to get the yellow roadster restored but from all you tell us,I am confident that someday we will see it on this site as it was when it raced...

27. olrodder

olrodder

Sorry for your loss. I loved to argue and joke with your dad, as I lived in Watsonville for 28 years, and worked part of that time at Marino's machine shop. Pinky Cecil would be the best guy to get a hold of, and go from there.... I'm sure you know where he is, and how to get a hold of him.
    Your dad was quite a character, larger than life in a lot of ways, pretty damned sharp, and I don't remember ever winning an arguement with him.... but we fought to a draw once in a while.
    I'll miss him....
    Clarke

CanepaGirl and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

Mc Donalds.... he rolls in at about 8 am....:D

29. Dyce

Dyce

Nice stuff!! I love both bodys. Nothing like that here in South Dakota. Most racecars you find here are dirt track cars that look like they went through the washer and drier.

I'm trying hard to see how an inline GMC is going to fit under that hood though.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry for your loss, Welcome to the HAMB, it is always nice to read about cars being saved by family members. The yellow 26-27 looks like a great one to restore. The Track Roadster should be rebuilt as well. I'm fairly certain the hood hold down loops are 1930's Harley Davidson saddle bag mounts that would have been on the rear fender, a neat feature. Bob [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.