Register now to get rid of these ads!

JAG XJ6 Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skidder, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Skidder

Skidder

Looking for some advice on what I should pay for a 79 Jag XJ6 IFS. I am thinking about installing one in my 1950 Chevy truck. I found one at a local pick-a-part yard. Seems like the cost is going to be around $400.00 for the complete front end. They seem to charge you for every nut and bolt. Is this an ok price or should I continue to look?

2. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Doesn't sound that bad considering the cost from aftermarket companies, plus power rack and pinion is bitchin in those trucks.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has turned on the "fasten your seatbelt" lights. Please fold up your table trays. and remained seated until we clear the turbulence"

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Sounds high to me. Are there no other junkyards around? I would try to negotiate a lower price based on the fact that you are buying a complete front end not one piece at a time. If you paid for a new car at the prices they charge in the parts department, a $30,000 car would cost $500,000. You always get a bulk discount when you buy something like that just like buying a 50 pound sack of potatoes is cheaper than buying 1 pound 50 times.

If they don't sell it to you they might get $10 for scrap metal.

Not to mention, a 1979 is now 33 years old. How many guys want parts off a car that old? If you don't buy it who will?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

5. 73RR

73RR

I have bought complete cars for near that price and complete donors are handy for alot of little stuff.
    Troll through your local craigslist.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Take a trip to San Diego. They have a Pick-a-Part there and the whole deal will be about 150. Its been a while since I've been there but I dont think I'm far off.
    Jags are not expensive from those years. I picked up an 88 for nottalotta and drove it on the trailer. The steering rack is badly blown, but I got the whole car. I'm thinkin about my 61 galaxie rolling stock

7. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

Like it was mentioned before, check Craigslist. I see XJ6s going for $500 for the whole car. You'll get the IFS and IRS. I have a Jag IFS under my '57 Suburban. Easy to work on and modify for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

8. He's in South Carolina......somehow I think its gonna be cheaper to pay $400 for it locally....

If its what you want, and its there, go for it....where are you going to find another?

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jeeze!

that soumds about 250.00 to high! At Ecology U-Pullit here in Phoenix, there were 8 of them to choose from last week and about 150.00 will walk it out the door... Less on a half price day!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's like real estate and sex. Location, location location the price depends on where you are at and the number of available doner cars in the wrecking yards in the area.

I haven't priced one locally yet but I'd guess that the going price here in the valley if one was available would be 350/400 and maybe more depending on which wrecking yard. Seattle might be somewhat less and San Diego just because there were probably so many more Jags in the area to begin with would be in that 150 bracket.
    I'd worry about it being complete, Good rotors, no leaks in the rack. and not worn out due to high mileage. 150/200 and then having to buy new rotors and other pieces goes past the 400 mark pretty quick.

11. Talk to the manager all prices are negotiable. Hell we don't even pay retail at the grocery store.

12. Make sure you get the first section of steering column too ( attaches to the rack )
    it has a "slip" in it . You will need to use it if you are setting the IFS up on the Jag rubber mounts.

13. Skidder

Skidder

Yeah, this place wants to charge you for each piece. I asked about an assembly price and they don't have one. It doesn't make since to me as if no one buys it it will go to the crusher for a little of nothing. Part I can see like the rotors and brake shoes all lokk good. Not sure if the rotors are warped. I did find a 92 XJ6 series 3 car for less money $200.00 but I am not sure these are the correct front ends for this swap. I did a search and really didn't find anything that made me feel comfortable buy the 92, but everything I have read says 79 are the correct ones to purchase. I might be in a little bit of a hurry also. This is why I was looking for advice. I am sure this car will not stay on the yard to much longer as they like to trade the out pretty often...

14. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

92 is too new. you want 75-86 for sure, maybe others. I got a whole Jag for like $600, sold the rear for 350, scrapped the rest for 50, and was able to carefully remove what I needed and measure mounting points, angles etc.

15. toddc

toddc

I posted this on another Jag suspension thread. the 1992 car *MIGHT* work if it is a Series 3 car rather than an XJ40 series. See the pictures below. If it has 4 doors and windows in the pillar behind the rear door, its the wrong car. if it has 2 doors its the right car.

16. rld14

rld14

Todd beat me to it, kickass post.

The XJ40s in America are model year 1988 and newer. Basically, square tail lamps mean a no-go, they share just a few fasteners with the 87 and older stuff! The car is COMPLETELY different, as in 53 vette to 2012 Vette different.

Ball joints are pretty strong but watch for a arm bushing wear.

And if anyone does look to use an XJ40 subframe be aware that they are prone to rust and filled with foam, it likes to burn, so they aren't easily fixable.

17. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i recently bought a 79 XJ6 for $1000. it had an almost new crate 350 with a 700R4 and 4 new tires. sold the motor/trans to a friend for 650.

18. Too much, you should be able to get the whole car for around 500-700. May as well buy the whole car and put the IRS in too :)

19. JEM

JEM

The local pick-n-pulls usually do come up with some sort of assembly price for the things, but at normal pricing that's still going to come close to $400 once the various taxes and fees are stapled on. It only makes sense if you can get there during a half-price event.

And yes, pricing is always highly dependent on what the cashier had for lunch.

I find myself buying crap during the half-price weekends that I may never use, sometimes just for comparison/trial-fitting purposes, or because it was quick and easy to grab and I might be able to resell it, etc.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Last whole Jag I bought was $100, stripped the suspensions and crushed the rest. They are out there cheap.

21. johnboy13

johnboy13

The place in my neck of the woods charges for every piece as well but they have a thirty day return policy. If you get the thing and get it installed and find out you need new rotors, bearings, a rack, whatever, you can take those parts back and get a refund.

22. Skidder

Skidder

That's a very good point, this yard has the same policy. I am sure It will take me forever to get it installed as I am just gathering parts. I am going to look at the 92 Jag saturday and see if it will work. It's half price..I did do a search on CL with-in a 200 mile raduis and no Jags with-in the right year group..Maybe they were all sold in CA...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  23. rld14

rld14

A 92 is an XJ40 if it's a 4 door. You want the older one.

24. Skidder

Skidder

Well I just wanted to thank everyone for their good advice. I decided not to purchase the front suspension form the pick-a-parts yard for $400.00. I found this 84 XJS on CL for $300.00 Picked it up this past Sunday. If all goes well I should have it stripped down of the items I want and then off to the crusher by Saturday...The car does have a complete front and rear suspension. It had chevy 350 at one time so I am going to save the engine mounts and transmission mount. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. JEM

JEM

XJS is good, has rear sway bar you may or may not want to use.

Damn, wish I had as much working room as you do.

26. Skidder

Skidder

The car does have a posi, just not sure of the gear ratio...

I used to live in the Bay Area long time ago, Haywood Caster valley area. Worked at Alameda NARF back in the 80's. If you had my 12 acers in the bay area you would be so rich you coudn't see straight...:eek:

27. 26 roadster

26 roadster

1989 front and rear, $500 and it is out of the car, pretty close and in my way.

28. $400 is way to much! Sometimes you can find a complete car for that money if you look hard enough. I just sold a complete front for $180 in July to a fellow Hamber.

29. mustangsix

mustangsix

The XJS also has a 25 gallon fuel tank in the trunk that might be a good fit something else. And more 12V relays than you'll need for the next 20 project cars.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

See! Ya did well. Now for even less you have the rear end too! The main objection to this swap always seems to be a percieved "rarity"... It just isn't so.