Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need air conditioning advice for my 1954 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Feb 27, 2012.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

I have the gen 4 system in my '53. It fits fine if you trim the glove box; the duct work is what takes up all the room! Next time around I'm doing an under-dash unit because I like the way they look and it eliminates the ducting issue.

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

If you have the motor back tight to the firewall you shouldn't have any problems with space for fans.

3. Gator

Gator

I did, I put the Vintage Air 'sure fit' heat/cool/defrost setup in my daily driver '55 Chevy pickup, Used a 17" steel fan with a proper shroud. Ice-cold A/C and no overheating even in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

4. Does a '55 pickup have a bigger radiator than a '52 passenger car?

5. saints

saints

here is where im at I have the stock 235 engine and fan and radiator.... so will a a/c unit mean over heating as soon as I put it on?
    dont plan to convert to v8 anytime soon so I just want the original ride to be cool in the summer

6. gibby64

gibby64
    from East Texas

I have the same setup... 235, stock fan and rad..... I added an electric pusher fan to the front, no issues.

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

You will have LESS cooling issues with the original six than those of us who dropped a V-8 into ours. Go for it! I believe you will probably have to upgrade the cooling fan on your motor but that should be it.

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

No, but the firewall was designed to accept a V-8 in the first place so he has more room between his motor and firewall, which allows for a deeper fan. My aluminum 17" flex fan just can't pull as much air as his steel fan, but I don't have room for the blades on a good, deep steel fan.

The key with '49-54 Chevy cars is to make sure you locate the V-8 far enough back to allow room for the proper size fan. I did not, and thus have learned the lesson well.

9. 220

from so cal

SO were about to order a evaporator dryer condenser and switch controller for a 54 with 350 , did anybody find one that worked on 54 belair am tiring to do it with out any modern looking parts showing in the interior ie the switch,, company ,n parts used would b so nice thanks 220

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My buddy has a Vintage Air set up in his '54. Cold as heck in there. BE SURE TO UPGRADE YOUR RADIATOR.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If your original heater works do not remove and add a under dash a/c unit,I love the original fresh air heaters where when you are running down the road the heater motor does not need to be on and you can set the temp where its very comfortable. With those aftermarket heat/air units the fan will have to be on all the time for heat in the winter,there is no way in hell I will remove a fresh air heater for a aftermarket heater/air unit unless the vehicle is not made for a fresh air heater like most 40s on back.