Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. KK500

KK500

2. designs that work

designs that work

MarioFan post 17764 Big Al and Gary B at Sacramento both cars are sideways at the flag stand. Impressed me.

3. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Attached Files:

4. gearheadphotography

gearheadphotography
    from Colorado

I was there for that one -- Al Unser was running away with it, and then broke something in his suspension (RR torsion bar hanger?), as you can see from his car's list to starboard. Gary was coming like gangbusters, and in another lap would have had him. Sac was always a great show.

5. gtxrider

gtxrider

Yup back when men were men and women were glad about it.

As my dad would say the men were steel and ships were wood.

I would love to Dario back one in on a mile dirt track. You think any of the current INDY drivers can run dirt?

6. easter

easter

Maybe this guy: http://www.sprintsource.com/news/?i=8618

7. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

:) I do agree and that's why I personnaly think Tony Stewart is the greatest driver nowadays, being able to race any car, any place and cause of his staying true to his roots when he continues to run sprints (non-winged & winged), midgets, late-models, on pavement and DIRT, owns teams and promotes tracks ....

Sarah Fisher and John Andretti could certainly do but Ganassi or Penske will never give them a season ride.

A thing I don't understand is why Indycar teams don't give rides to the racers who have a fanbase and have proven themselves in Open Wheel, they rather employ less talented drivers for the money they bring ...

In the same time, you can see that NASCAR has become way more popular, with much dollars invested and bigger audiences and have racers like Jeff Gordon, Tony, Blaney, Leffler, Wise, Yeley ... (Irwin, Schrader, Andretti before) and so on, whose roots are in Sprints & Midgets

8. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

The reality is in NASCAR the owners are looking for the winning discriminator because so many teams have cubic dollar sponsors already. Talented drivers the discriminator. In Indy car only 3 teams have sponsor dollars so they only race between the 6 possibilities. The others are just pretender teams with a closer view to the race and happy to be uncompetitive. "It was good getting an 8th place finish." Ever hear Parnelli say he was happy with a third? bet not.

9. jimg12

jimg12

10. jimg12

jimg12

11. jimg12

jimg12

1946 Mitchel, Indiana. Cliff Griffith on the left in Hector's car. Bill Cantrell in the Southern Star on the right.

12. jimg12

jimg12

Drivers, owners at Scottburg, In 1946
    Here is what I have, can anyone add?
    Kneeling-left toright:1-?,2-?,3-Wayne Padgent,4-?,5-Virgil Graybeal,6-Pee Wee Northern,7-?,8-Hector,9-Forrest Berry,10-Hank Schlosser,11-Chick Smith,12-Leon Huble,13-Cliff Griffith.
    Standing:1-Dizz Wilson,2-Zeb Davis,3-?,4-?,5-?,6-Lowell Todd,7-?,8-Billy Earl,9-Jac LaVan,10-Johnny Hoble,11-?,12-Jimmy Sampson,13-?,14-Ed Davis,15-?,16-Rus Bigalow,17-?,18-Jack Martin,19-?,20-Doc Bowles,21-Bobby Grim,22-Doc Morris,23-?,24-Speedy Helm,25-owner of Davis Dryer,26-?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  13. jimg12

jimg12

Same day as the picture of the men

14. Here's a never before seen picture that I scanned just for this thread. My family is from Colorado, and we've been hitting the Pikes Peak Hillclimb for generations now. This was taken about 1956 by my uncle on Pikes Peak. That's Louis and Bobby Unser sitting in their open wheel/champ cars.

[​IMG]

15. gearheadphotography

gearheadphotography
    from Colorado

For what it's worth, I met George Farmer in a Denny's where I had seen his trailered sprinter in the parking lot and sought out the driver and crew. I was 16 or so, and totally "stoked" on sprint cars. He not only tolerated my endless questions, he was as personable and accommodating as any driver I'd ever met. He was a true gentleman and a credit to the sport. I was devastated when I heard of his fatal accident, and have never forgotten him. I always like to remember him and mention his kind character whenever I can.

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

MIDGET WHEELS!

A while back.. Months. I was talking to one of you about buying some Early Midget wheels. You had a set for sale for a good price and I agreed.. BUT! I started traveling, and time got away and my mind kicked it out! IF YOU ARE STILL OUT THERE please contact me.

IF any of you have any, I still need a set. Early 12" dish is prefered, and narrower the better. I AM NOT looking for the 13" windowed style.

Thanks guys,

J Shaw

Want some like this:

Attached Files:

• 787.jpg
      787.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
  17. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Attached Files:

18. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Thanks for posting Jim... it's interesting to see the City of Roses lined up next to the Southern Star. Speaking of the the Southern Star have you been able to locate it?
    PK

19. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Posted by Mitch G on AutoRacingMemories.com :

A.J. Foyt inside of Mario Andretti. Sacremento, CA 1967

[​IMG]

The other ones come from different other sites I don't remember ... Trackforum by IndyBigJohn (3-4) and by Rick Jones (5)
    6. Mario beside his car in Sacramento on October 23, 1966. (photo by John Isom)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  20. Buildy

Buildy

I haven`t seen that one before-nice find!

21. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

22. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Eddie Sachs in the Gus Hoffman Offy.

23. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

25. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi out there: Wondering if anyone out there has a Barns in the pan dry sump and pan, or McGurk tri drive they would like to sell? If so give me a P/M. Thanks Bill

26. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I think Billy Cassella drove for the Long brothers also.

Their Altfater ended up in Indianapolis, owned by George Wilkins, with Hal Minyard driving.

27. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

[​IMG]
    Jimg12, a couple of questions. Are these women owners and drivers of sprint cars? Or are these the wives and sweet hearts of the guys? If they are owner/drivers, is there a chance you have pictures of these pioneering women in their racers?

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes, and thats Richard "Dickie" Hoffman in the seat with Sachs. And I believe that's Mutt Anderson at the tail in the Dark shirt...?

29. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

Joshua,
    No, Mutt Anderson, the future owner of the car, is wearing the white tee shirt and he is standing next to the man in the dark shirt.

30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I like that picture a lot because I was under the mistaken impression that women of that era did not wear pants.