Register now to get rid of these ads!

Time or money?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by themoose, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Sometimes you're not a lazy welfare case, you're disabled and unable to work. If I had the choice I'd pick health over time or money. If you have your health you can probably make the time or the money to have you projects.

2. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

Once my friend made one working gm alternator out of three that didn't work; true story,,,

3. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

Special Sam - Sorry to offend anyone with genuine health problems and life issues. I truely know about and understand disabilities and ailments. Just dont have time for people that take advantage of more than they deserve. But that is a whole different topic!

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Either will offset the other, as it stands i have niether, i work 60+hr weeks and just bought a house....

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you ever wondered why, as you get older, time seems to go by quicker? There is a simple, mathematical explanation. To a 5-year old kid, one year is 20% of their life. To a 50 year old, one year is only 2%, and the percentage gets smaller the longer you live. So a year seems a lot longer to a young person.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I work a full-time+ job 45-46 hrs a week, and money is more of a problem than time. They are both a problem, but money holds things up the most. I cant use all the free time I have, because I am often held by a lack of money to get the parts I need, so I sometimes go weeks at a time without doing much on the car. You can only potter around cleaning and painting misc. stuff for so long before you need to start screwing things back together, and if you dont have money for the parts you need, well, you wait. Thats my experience, anyway.

7. I've had both time and money,,but they have never been introduced to each other on the same occasion.:rolleyes: HRP

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

time is not money. never has been, never will be.

I get 24 hours worth of time a day for free. If things go well today, I will get another 24 hours tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for my free money.

9. cederholm

cederholm

MONEY! If you have enough of it I'm pretty sure you could buy time.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done that a number of times. And I have no idea of how many starters I have swapped parts around to build a good one.

As I have a rather strange work schedule that equals three eleven hour days and one seven hour day with three and the rest of the seven hour day off time seems to be important to me. I'd rather work 7 to 3:30 and have two or three hours every afternoon to get something done and not be so tired on my weekend that I blow the half day recovering from the work week and use up at least one getting house and yard chores done.

When I was young I did side jobs to pay for the hotrod project that was going at the time. There was always someone in town that needed something done who seemed to show up at my doorstep on recommendation of someone I knew or who knew that I took on small side jobs. Now I don't do any side jobs as I don't have either the time or the shop or the desire to do it.

11. JCW2110

JCW2110

A few years ago I had all the time I needed,But no money. Then I got a better paying job that took up more time,So now I have the good paying job with no time...Catch 22 I guess?

12. Muttley

Muttley

I have plenty of time but no money, I also find that a severe lack of mechanical aptitude is quite often a hindrance. ;) :D

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Reading this made my brain hurt.:eek:

14. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I've been calling my 32 chevy the "more time then money coupe...."

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, but by the time you have to re-do it for the third time, to fix all the stuff you screwed up the first two times, it starts to come out pretty decent.:D

16. this is almost like politics. there is no right answer and no one will always agree.
    My take is
    "Money is only important when you don't have it"
    "Time is free but you still have to spend it wisely"

My shop rate is $50 an hour but when I spend 20 hours on my project I consider it free, go figure huh!

17. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it does buy you options.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cant argue with that!

19. AULIZ

AULIZ

I have had all of my life good concept for that question.

I have only one project at time, it gives You more money for building. Some quys have all places full of "junk stuff" and so called "" future projects"", that way takes rather much money, space and time too if need to find those stuff from swapmeets etc.

I start to buy parts to my next project very early. That gives possible to find same stuff better price, if not need to buy all in short period.

Also good thing is to live here "middle of nowhere", where is hard winter.
    No, swapmeets, meetings ,..etc during wintertime, so I have time to go garage! Earlier I lived some winters in Pomona, CA. There is too much interesting happenings and those take Your time (and money),....

While I bore and hone some cylinderblocks and put those engines together to my friends/customers. One intensive 2-3week period gives good money for own project. Inquiries are more, but need to take only some extra jobs if want that own car is ready when summer is coming,..

Rgds,
    Aulis

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Given enough time you can make enough money. What would you do with the money? Say you just fell into it, would you buy, build, or would you do a mix? If you had the money and the time, then what? Suppose what you want can't be bought but you have all the time you need? Suppose what you want can be bought, but you don't have the time to find it?

Why is it "Father Time" when not enough is a real mutha? How come in some cases less time is the win? Ok, time out. Too many questions...

21. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Latley I have been asking myself what my time is worth, some jobs just arn't worth
    doing when other people are set up to do them more efficiently - mounting tires, sandblasting, roofing, drywall ect. I can do almost anything with reasonably good results but now try to look at what the end product will be and what it's going to be worth. On the other hand I will spend hours on the lathe turning out a part just for the sense satisfaction on accomplisment, better than watching TV

22. Thanks for that, you Sir are a poet! ...the same question around the globe, i see i'm not the only one. But time is definitely the choice for me, and with a bunch of friends there's sometimes a possibility to make a deal without money. i wanted a paintjob, my painter had some serious rust issues on his '65 Ford.. it worked, i welded a lot, now he's spraying. this is the only way for me i can afford to get my car together again, and there's a lot of fun in this way, too...

23. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I'll throw a third factor (maybe 4 depending on how you look at it !!)

SPACE - I have some time, I have some money, but I don't have any more space (3rd factor)

And the wife says no more anyways (thats the 4th factor).

24. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

If I had a dollar for every minute I've wasted reading threads like this :D

25. Zandoz

Zandoz

BINGO!!

I was never rich...I grew up border line poor to lower middle class. The early days of my car tinkering featured a lot of junk yard scrounging, creative adapting, and making do. Through my middle years I was financially comfortable but time poor. Today I have nothing but free time, and almost no money...but my health is shot.

Put me back anywhere on the time and financial scales, but give me my health back!