Register now to get rid of these ads!

s10 rearend in chevy II...anyone done this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brandon, Feb 28, 2012.

1. brandon

brandon

kicking around using a s10 rear under a customers chevy II wagon...wondering if anyone has used one under their chevy II?

2. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Its been done with some mods. I believe there is like a 4" difference in overall size and also the spring perches need to be relocated.
    And I think there is a difference between 2x4 and 4x4 if I remember correctly.

3. Beau

Beau

4x4 is a tad wider.

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Any pics of the wagon??

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

Why use a S10 rear? Original is missing or damaged?

6. brandon

brandon

Its 4 lug...a 2wd is a few inches narrower ....so I can possibly use a deep offset 8" wheel.

7. brandon

brandon

Not worth posting.................yet..lol

8. Brandon, pm oneyellowtub(poorboy Jason)..He's got the 411 on that swap..... His early Nova chunked the rear, I rescued him off the side of the road(trailers ARE good to have), and gave him an S10 rear....back on the road in no time :cool:

9. PJ1

PJ1

I have 62 longroof as well, sporting some nice 4 lug cast turbine mags. Post what you come up with. I was going to machine my axles and make it a 5 lug. Easiest way is to swap in a 63 - 67 Nova rear, but how many of those do you see around?

10. Spity

Spity

I sold Nova parts for years. Nova rear ends are a dime a dozen even for 5 lug 10 bolt stuff, early 12 bolts will fetch $1500+
    I would only use an S10 rear axle if it were a 8.5. My little gmc has one, they are basicly the same as a BUICK GN rear.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hate to threadjack, but this gave me an idea... Any body have a hub to hub width (not backing plate to backing plate, please) on an S10 2wd rear end? The girlfriends Falcon wagon needs a slightly narrower rear, and axles were made to be redrilled. Besides, it would beyond piss off the blue blood Ford types beyond reason...

12. Spity

Spity

People narrow the Explorer/Ranger 8.8 aswell. Tons of info on the Falcon/Fairlane/Mustang forums. Much better option. You can use ford pattern wheels aswell.

13. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

2x4= 55"
    4x4=59.5

14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Brandon, let me know if you need a 4x4 s-10 rear, I have one here with all new brake pads and wheel cylinders, and the perches already removed, I was going to use it on my old T project. I will give you a hell of a deal on it! Lol if you need it. Ryan

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks, but I'm very aware of that. I'd prefer something that doesn't require narrowing, and with a dead stock 200in six and a cute Asian female driving, strength is not an issue unless we are discussing left turn signal duration. I'm also keeping the 4 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern, so what ever I find will need to be redrilled anyway.

Thank you sir! Thats exactly what I needed to hear. I'll have to take a look. Sorry for the threadus interuptus guys...

16. brandon

brandon

8.5 is my backup....it just a 6 banger. Looking for the narrowness more than strenght....form over function...lol

17. brandon

brandon

Long shot but might do a search for greg morrell"s falcon....best I remember, it had 8 1/2's or 9" rear wheels

18. If it's just the 6 wheezer,and a wheel upgrade is all that's required,just re-drill the axels. If it's bigger brakes that's sought,it's swap time.... A tri-five oughta be damn close within a 1/4.
    But if you do the rear,front will follow......

19. Spity

Spity

Novas use the same rear as a tri 5, just more narrow. Its said that the full size pumpkin is slightly stronger. This is the same rear axle used in 409 Impalas. They snap axles like chopsticks. If you want more lug nuts and more stopping power use full size brakes and redrill your axles. 8.2s are plenty strong for a six cylinder, v8 power and traction destroys them.

When I rebuilt the stock rear end in my old '62 Nova a couple years back I think I wound up paying over $100 for 2 axle bearings. You can get a s10 rear and swap it for less than that. :cool:

20. brandon

brandon

We were going to redrill, machinist buddy didn't think pattern would fit or something.....narrowness is what im after.

21. primed34

primed34

The '87 S10 2x4 rear in my coupe is 54" axle flange to axle flange. Came out of a Blazer.

22. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The rear I have is out of a 4x4 s-10 blazer it's here if you need to use it for mock up,measurements, whatever. I am tripping over it everyday. Just let me know if you need it. Ryan