Register now to get rid of these ads!

Allard Quick Change rear axle = Unobtainium

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. That is a cool piece Jay. I did not know about them, thanks for the details!

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well, that's certainly one more thing I can only hope to find at a garage sale! Only 15 made huh? Geesh, that'll only leave like one floating around after Bruce Meyer and Don Orosco get wind of this if they're not all spoken for right now! The sharks are circling!!!

I'm inlove with Halibrand Non Quickchange center sections and hope to find one of those one day since they're not all that unobtainable.

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Somebody will start re-casting the gear covers to glue on 9" pumpkins soon!

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

Good reading but I'm a sucker for anything with a cut-away diagram.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

New one on me too. Cool stuff.

7. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Way Cool!, until it breaks. Story of my life

8. stromberg-97

stromberg-97
    from England

Wow, great post. I happen to have one of these casting sets - unmachined original Allard pieces. I got the kit from an Allard guy in London many years ago. I had it vapour bead blasted - came up like new - but have never got around to finishing it to use. I only know of one other. Problem with unobtainium is, how many of us go on to build something (read: can afford to build something) worthy enough of it? Maybe one day. In the meantime, I better update my home insurance...I'll dig it out and post a picture soon.

9. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

back in the early 1960's when I was studying at Nebr. Trade School we would take trips into Lincoln, NE to Speedway Motors, at that time it was a store front on 'N' street, from time to time and look around at the neat stuff and sometimes buy something. Anyway, I remember seeing a QC on the bargain shelf. I was studying to be a tool maker and speed equipment really intrigued me and I noticed that the QC was a homemade unit made out of a stock center section using torque tube sections for the drive to pinion housings. I was told that it used Halibrand gears but they didn't have the time to pull the cover so I could'nt see what they had done to the pinion gear. Everytime I see a QC I think of that unit.

Regards
    Greg Hornbostel

10. There are several good threads on here about welded/fabricated quickchnges.

11. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Tman, Thanks, all sorts of interesting things pop up.

Greg

12. eddie1

eddie1

That was my first thought as well!

13. racemad55

racemad55

I've got a Frankland non-quickchange center section if your interested,N.O.S. champ size if interested.

14. autobilly

autobilly

Who could have thought for one minute that someone here wouldn't have one of these?:)

15. sololobo

sololobo

Unobtanium is right, then some dude on the H.A.M.B. is holding one! crazy!! ~sololobo~

16. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

Very cool GC. Guess it would be great to find one. I will just have to be happy with my Halibrand.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      274.1 KB
      Views:
  17. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Good to know, you never know when you will find one of these jewels. Thanks.

18. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

I started 'Allard University' this week by first researching the name and history after finding this intake pictured. Super cars and all the parts manufactured to go fast. Now this QC pops up here!!! Are there English patents for the car and component parts that made it? Any knowledge here on this intake? Thanks for the QC lesson.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  19. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Great read, thanks man!!!

20. racer756

racer756

Great info, thanks for sharing!

21. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Interesting timeframe - that's exactly when Zora Arkus-Duntov was working for Allard...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  22. PFF

PFF
    from UK

I think Eddie Wimble in the UK has the original patterns for these, I remember talking to him about them he was trying to get them re made but was having trouble getting the shafts machined I think he was looking at getting Mike Curtis to sort them out. I haven’t seen Eddie for a couple of years so don’t know how he's got on. Pete

23. stromberg-97

stromberg-97
    from England

Here are my pics of the Allard castings. Sorry for the crappy overhead lit picture quality and kitchen background but I didn't have a lot of time. As you can see, they were rough old castings, but the numbers are the same as on Jay's picture of a running quick-change. My pieces don't include the drive mount that is shown in the awesome cutaway. Mine is just a round plate that bolts to the flange where the quill shaft starts. Maybe this was for an open drive? Maybe I need to get Allard University, as well. Wish I had those crazy inboard brake castings too!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

That is real cool

25. Only on the HAMB! So, Can we call this #16?

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

27. wow thats pretty sweet!

28. Unlikely I'll ever come up with an Allard QC, but I do have a set of SW Allard gauges that came out of an old hot rod (the hot rod was sold in pieces in the '60s)...

[​IMG]

29. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Interesting to say the least.

30. flamingokid

flamingokid

Now I've got Allard on the brain,i'll be researching this crap for days.