Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fire in the hole!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That FE is gorgeous. That's how I want the engine in my Falcon to look. I know I've seen more pics of this project elsewhere - can you point me at them?

-Dave

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Man, thats a nice looking F.E.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since you asked...:D This is the first generator that I ever rebuilt myself. I love the original Cal Custom stainless generator cover from the early 60s.... and yes it has more than 1 wire:rolleyes::D It charged like a bitch on the initial start up.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Bet that was a big relief. Good for you. I bet she sounds bad ass.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks!

How'd you know my generator needed a rebuild? ;)

-Dave

6. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You should have seen it when I got it from a junk yard on Ebay It was a mess but it did have all the mounting brackets. Thank the lord for a bead blaster.:)

I got all the rebuild parts from Ebay really cheap. I got a very cool (to me anyway) Atlas NORS V reg. in the box with the cool old 50s graphics on the cover. I think that Atlas was an Amoco product line.

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Atlas was Standard Oil's (there's an Amoco connection, I'm pretty sure) product line. You're not alone, I too dig on pulling old parts out of vintage packaging. I think there must be a lot of us, given the number of manufacturers trying to recreate the feel of those old boxes.

-Dave

9. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Looks good, Tommy. Congrats. I always love the first time you fire one up.

10. Looks good Tommy! Do we get video so we can hear it? I have liked this car since the first time I saw it. I love Y-Blocks but an FE runs a close second. :D

BTW, overlap on the cam will have nothing to do with low static compression but late intake valve closing will. Did you degree the cam?

11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

In the 70's I worked in the machine shop for John Gardner and his sons in Nashville, at their independently owned and operated parts store.
    He bought up NOS and specialized in antique hard to find parts for everything. Some of his boxed inventory went back to the late teens and 20's, and covered makes I've never heard of back to the turn of the century.
    The building remains, but I understand the inventory was liquidated a few years ago. I saw these comments and it made me think, these parts might have been some of Gardners that are appearing today on EBay.
    Tom S. in Tn.

12. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Hey Tommy, I`m glad to hear that I`m not the only one who gets 90% of my "stuff" on eBay.

13. I'm guilty! The shop I work in has been around for more than 60 years and I still find stuff in old boxes stashed away. There is a neat smell to old stuff too! ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  14. Congratulations Tommy,,no greater thrill like hearing the engine come to life after it has made you fell like you have forgotten everything you ever knew!

BTW,I really like the sedan.

Within the next few weeks I too will be trying to fire the engine in the wagon and like you I changed a few things and it has sat for about 5 years now so I am optimistically apprehensive. :D HRP

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I shop... Ebay for deals. I looked for over a month before I found the "right" generator. I do not pay "Ebay prices" and I always add in the shipping costs before I leap. There are deals out there but you have to shop. I could not find anyone with a used Ford generator around here and I still needed the original mounting brackets for an FE.

Thanks HRP after what I just went through, I'd give each cylinder a squirt of oil and turn it over.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  16. tjmercury

tjmercury

Way to go, I have a semi that was the same way. It was always one thing after another til finally things just clicked, now it purrs like a kitten

17. I don't care how many times I do it, it always seems like a damned miracle to me when they fire for the first time.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on the first fire up. I'd have to guess that the cylinders got washed down a bit or that the rebuilder may have put it together a bit dry as far as the rings go. Or it could have sat on the shelf for a few years after being rebuilt.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cool beans Tommy. I was in Vietnam on vacation when you started this thread, just found it now. One of my favorite projects on the HAMB, really like this car. Glad to see it running, now I want to hear it! Get a kid to video it or something!

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That first fire-up is the next best feeling to being a new daddy. ITS ALIVE, ITS ALIVE! BhaHaHaHa!:D

21. It sounds great, Tommy. Now get busy on that exhaust system before the neighbors complain!;) If you need another pair of hands, remember I'm only a few minutes away.:).............Donnie.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

thanks for your help yesterday. You have helped me more than once and it is appreciated. It's so nice to be able to reach in through the window, turn the key and have it come to life. I couldn't get there by myself.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Here ya go bubba!:D My first video...taken by my oldest son
    http://youtu.be/HXq5sLV-Ono

You can't hear the open headers. I think he had the phone in the fan airstream. It sounds pretty good.

I did this just for you!!! You goaded me into it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. 363Door

363Door

Tommy, you need to go round to back and record the exhaust!, most of what I could hear sounded like air sucking into the carbs.

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It has no exhaust.:D Just my homemade headers. It's plenty loud in the garage. This was our first attempt at doing a video. At least I can prove that it runs and idles. Not too bad for a first timer. I'll get better.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  26. Tommy,the engine sounds great,,I'm gonna have to get my Daughter to do a short video of the wagon running. HRP

27. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

My 1st car would not start for the same reason many yrs ago. It had a very worn cylinder wall with tons of ridge. But, I could not afford pistons/bore. It started fine right after assembly. But, after sitting 4 weeks ....no go until I wet the bores