Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hidden Tunes Via An Ipod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. squirrel

squirrel

get a stereo volume control (double potentiometer) to mount in place of the original volume control in the old radio. Wire the center two terminals to the two center conductors of a cord that will plug into your ipod. Wire the center two conductors of stereo RCA cord to the end terminals on the "full volume" end the pot, and connect all the shields to the other two end terminals. THen plug the rca plugs into an amp for the front speakers, and connect the line out of that amp to the input of another amp for the rear speakers.

2. outlaw256

outlaw256

guys yall are great but you all are just talkin shit to me.i was using a 8track up till last summer,still would be if i could find another that worked.anyway i hid a cassette player in the glove box. mounted it right and its hidden.now that just took a shit on me.so its been boring with no music. i just had to ask my son whats a mp3 player and a ipod.i heard of them but i never let on like i was stupid and didnt know what the hell everyone was talkin about.good thing my son is good at this kinda stuff cause hes fixin to get shown this thread and get to work get his old man some tunes.and the way i understand it i can pic my own songs GREAT! lol.i can build you a engine that can set your wheels in the air but i know noda about stereos that dont have 4 wires hangin out the back.lol

seb fontana likes this.
  3. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Make it look very easy, great post. Yep both the car and caravan will be getting something similar. Just picked up a very cheap i-pod and having all my music stuck on it, use that for the caravan and my I-phone for the car. Just got to find some cheap speakers and cunning ways of hiding them.

4. Old Heap

Old Heap

I'm using a setup similar to Ryan's on my 50 Chevy. My tunes come from a small XM-Express tuner with the antenna hidden in a rear bed stake pocket.

But, with bare metal floors, doors and roof, music is pointless. :D

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I have had this thread saved for awhile now. Just went through and bought all the pieces. Since it's winter in KC gotta drive with the windows up. Might as well have some tunes!

6. n847

n847

Right on...Thats very clean...I really like that small Pioneer amp
    I plan on adding this mod to my plymouth before spring, but I wasn't going to add the volume knob. I was going to go through the headphone jack and controll it that way.

I was also considering mounting a 30.00 pepboys knob to knob tape deck from my OT jeep under the dash, it has an accessory jack on the front to attach the MP3 player of your choice, then run the gear driven knobs from the stock radio back to the knob to knob and make bushings to connect them so I can turn the radio on and adjust the channels and volume from the stock radio! I'll post up some info if I pull that off.

7. Exactly what I'm looking for with the Comet. I have no need for a full on radio, want to keep the stick one there (still works) and could hide this easily without sacrificing my glove box. Thanks for the tip.

8. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Ryan,
    Great job. My brother did a similar install ( he worked for Jo-di's here in Connecticut) and used a Ipod shuffle with it hidden in the ash tray, just plug it in and play and close it up.

Cliff Ramsdell

9. 50plymouths

50plymouths

I made a simpler way use a cell phone with mp3 player and I can control my volume gains with my volume on phone don't need auxiliary knob. But this is a very inexpensive thing cause everyone has a phone and u can use speakers like a Bluetooth hands free device too.

10. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

11. Excellent!! I just got my Ipod hookup, a PAC IS76PRO, which is the same as Ryan's PAC IS75, except it has a remote control. I also got some DB Drive speakers (6x9s and a 12" sub) and amps (a 560 and a 1500) and a EQ. I am in the install process now, will report back, soon with any luck. :D

12. Just got it installed! Excellent!
    [​IMG]

13. 50plymouths

50plymouths

some people over design stuff... keep it simple like are car's thats i'll I got to say. i could do the same thing for $50- $150 and have got the same results

14. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

15. 50plymouths

50plymouths

thats a little small for my tastes i got a pioneer 760 from wally world that i hooked up to a radio shack rca/ head phone connector then plugged my droid to it and i am rockin to jensen 12" home stereo speakers like there nothing. but that's my thing. some guys think it's hard to do i say it's not. get a ac to dc converter and start playing around with stuff. i am in the process of hooking up the new led lights they sell at oreilleys auto store in my plymouth i tested it out on my radio shack 15 amp power converter.
    this is my thing stereo's and electronic's i am really wanting to put 3000 watt subs in my plymouth but the glass would most likely explode lol i like this thread it made me think and find a cheaper easier way to get radio in my plymouth when i get to that point

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

None of that sounds easier.

17. 50plymouths

50plymouths

guess i need a pic lol will get one up later

18. 50plymouths

50plymouths

rca jack3.jpg
    ok you use this as your radio then plug this into the headphone jack.
    rca jack.jpg
    then use rca cables to plug into the amp which this case is a 760w pioneer
    rca jack2.jpg
    hook it up like any other amp and bam your rockin and you can split the rca's to run high's , mid's , or sub's whatever ya want it's very very simple this is what i am running exactly

19. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

20. WOW! Really? Where did you find all that cool stuff for $50.00? That is a super good deal! Now I feel silly posting my hack job! I would like to see pics of your install when it's done. So nice!:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

21. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

$50.00 to $150.00 dollar set up will sound like a $50.00 to $150.00 dollar setup !!
    You get out what you put into it.

22. dawford

dawford

I have a severe hearing loss so I'm not a good judge of sound quality however I do know that most of our cars have the acoustics of an oil drum.

It is also a question of over coming our natural desire to make our exhaust systems sound good.

So the difference in perceived sound quality between a low cost system and a high cost system is not going to be much.

With 760 watts of power and the right speakers you could power the dodger stadium sound system.

Back in the late 50's when I was in Jr Hi I ran the PA Crew at Bancroft Jr Hi School.

The whole school was wired with 18" Public Address speakers used for the playing of Reveille and for announcements. That system didn't have more than 15 watts of power.

We set up and staged the Pan-American Festival at the Pan-American Park across the street using a Newcomb 25 Watt amplifier that was the highest power amp that we had.

The neighbors for blocks around would call and complain about the "noise" being too loud.

The speakers are the key to getting volume out of low power systems.

Before Stereophonic Systems were commonly available we had HiFi and some of the tube amplifiers are still sought after for sound quality.

Many of them produced less than 25 Watts of power and sounded very good.

Today people think that the more Watts of power a system produces the better the sound quality.

There are only a few people who have perfect pitch hearing and many of those who are on the HAMB are like me Loud is better than Quality.

As stated before most of our cars have lousy acoustics any way so a cheap $12.99 ebay system with 30 Watts RMS Power Output will work fine.

I use speakers salvaged from Sony or some other name brand battery powered boom box. They run on flashlight batteries and are not power hungry yet are designed to produce fair Quality sound.

Those chosen few who have acoustically engineered cars and the ears and money to appreciate the finner things in life will strongly disagree with my assessment of the Hot Rod sound system.

Did I mention that I am cheap and would like to make my cars faster rather than make the sound system theater quality.

Dick :) :) :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  23. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

AMEN edlebroke!!

24. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I bought the 4 channel one which is different then the 2 ch pictured. Got it yesterday and installed it. The 4 ch is a mini amp thats been modified. Very nice, very professional and simple to install. You must use 4 ohm speakers.

The 4 ch is around $99

Simple install just wired the speakers, a ground, positives, It comes with rca jacks as an out to the speakers. It has a wired volume control I put under my dash. ANd a mini plug remote input so you can also mount that right under the dash neatly

25. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I just got done installing this in my Buick and couldn't be happier! I used all the recommended parts from the original post and everything works great. Thanks!

26. 50plymouths

50plymouths

I have been doing stereo installation for 15 years. So I got speakers at my moms, grandmas and everywhere that I've pretty much lived at one time. I got 4 different sets of subwoofers Rockford fosgate, volfenhag, power acoustic and RCA home theater 15" cabinet speaker's all the others are 12"
    I have found a couple nice sites to buy products from and they are very reasonably priced too. Got to fix my car first before I can blast tunes in it lol

27. 50plymouths

50plymouths

Oldguard that setup isn't bad need a panel to hide the amp and other components. I just hate people getting ripped or burned buying way to much or a name. I got burned buying an amp for 550 and kept shutting off on me with the gain at half and bass boost at +5. I bought a power acoustic amp for 146 and it blasted my system like it was nothing and it was maxed on everything so it's not about name

28. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

JUST SAY NO TO CAR RADIO COMMERCIALS!!!!

I installed something similar in the glovebox liner of my Ford Shoebox using inexpensive components;
    -> 1st generation iPOD Shuffle (already had this laying around... my daughter upgraded long ago)
    -> $40 qty-2 6x9 Rockford Fosgate 3-way speakers from Amazon
    -> $26 Lepai Mini Amp (very small) from Amazon

This amp has treble, bass and volumn. Both the amp and iPOD volumn work. The amp has an on/off switch and is wired to the accessory connection on the fuse pannel. (the button on the lower left of the glove box liner is for an elec. trunk latch)

Couldn't get much simpler and sounds good.

Regards,
    X

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  29. I like that setup "X", I may do the same for my '47 in my avatar.

30. impalalover60

impalalover60

Thanks for everyone that replied. I just finished my setup...modified an original Impala radio to accept the PAC knob and wired a 5 channel amp (4 speakers and one sub) my syatem is so stealth I thought I lost my Ipod but it was in my Impala. You cant go wrong with this thread and I have no distortion at all. Just took a while for me to wire my amp but then again Im a perfectionist and it wasnt put under my seat. Im 36 and I use to love this stuff but I regreted it these last 2 days.