Register now to get rid of these ads!

Posie reverse eye spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jan bogert, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

changeing my stock buggy spring to posie reverse eye in my '31coupe. i want to just swap them out. any tricks on installing the reverse eye, do to i can't use the spreader would be great. i was thinking of useing 3/8" flat plate and clamping it to the spring to push off of, with the spreader. any ideas.

2. primopro

primopro
    from Corona, CA

stock model a? I usually just take them apart (very carefully) using wide jaw vice grips and c clamps to take spring pack apart leaf by leaf. Bolt one of the shackles to the rear end and rest the other spring eye on a 2 by 4 on the other side of the rear end. slowly lower the car down with the top of the spring in the crossmember and the loose spring eye should be spread out close enough to assemble the other spring shackle. now repeat process of leaf disassembly in reverse to re assemble pack, one by one with clamps. I use a piece of 3/8 allthread and a couple nuts and washers to line everything up and help bring the pack together, cutting rod down as i go (lots of oil!!) Make sure to do most if not all of the spring compression/decompression with the clamps, there is ALOT of stored energy in that spring and you cant totally rely on the bolt/allthread!!!!