Register now to get rid of these ads!

McCulloch VS or McCulloch DO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 91whitestang, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Anybody have any input on the McCulloch blowers with being a VS or DO? Which do you prefer or what is the best to run? Any info or opinions would be very helpful. Thank You.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Here is a web site with all the info you need.

http://vs57.y-block.info/history.htm

The vs57 was the first model built in the 50s. There are still a lot of them around, a great addition to a nostalgia rod but obsolete.

The DO came later and was an improvement but only lasted about a year. Very rare now.

The best model is the SN type Paxton blower which is still in production. It is basically the same as the vs57 with the variable speed drive removed. It has several improvements and is simpler, more compact, and more efficient. A lot of them are in use on Mustangs and Camaros.

3. There is a gentleman by the name of John Erb (I believe thats right), that rebuilds the vs57s. He recommends removing the variable speed drives and does it as part of his rebuilds if desired. I have his contact info somewhere but it should be easy to find online also.

4. toucan

toucan
    from sc

im looking for a mounting plate for a vs for a fe ford.please help! i heard mr erb is the man! need his contact info.

5. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

So if I can get my hands on a DO one right now, I should buy it since they are the more rare one and an improvement from the VS model?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  6. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

I believe the DO is the one that is plumbed into the engine to use its oil for lubrication.

I havent head anything good about those.

I own a VS57.

After wasting a lot of money on a rebuild by a guy that didnt know what he was doing, I found John Erb.
    So he did the 2nd rebuild on it, and it works good now.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It all depends what you want to do with it. If I had a chance to buy a McCulloch supercharger I would buy it, but I happen to like McCulloch superchargers.

The DO-vs59 is supposed to be an improved vs57. But they had their own problems. They were oiled off the engines oiling system. If you did not change your oil regularly the supercharger would suffer from the dirt and acid in the oil. You could not add STP or other substance to the oil or it would mess up the seals and bearings.

I think if I wanted to use one, I would rig up a little oil system separate from the engine. An oil tank holding about a quart with a little electric pump.

Of course it depends how much they want for it, what kind of condition it is in and whether the brackets, pulleys, etc come with it.

How much is it and how complete is it?

9. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Thank you for the info. I was thinking because they were so rare that it would be cool to get one and put on my truck, but if there no good then theres no point of wasting money then turning around and buying another one down the road. Do it right the first time.

10. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

sent you a pm, thank you!

11. Erb Products

John Erb

4019 Ponderosa Drive,

Carson City, NV 8970-6436

775 883 6494

12. ftwkustom

ftwkustom
    from michigan

ya, dont waste ur money on a DO. the money you will spend on one and getting it working like a vs your better off just finding a nice vs57 . tons of them out there. some people think they are gold so dont think your gonna have to shell out $$$$ for one. ive seen plenty for 400 to 900 range. they are awesome for sure. i have a polished one. looks way cool.