Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake work help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huskersnb2, Feb 26, 2012.

1. huskersnb2

huskersnb2
    from nebraska

hello how does a guy find out if a brake booster is bad or a master cylinder I put new brakes all the way around and 2 wheel cylinder on the back front is disc but it still does not feel right pedal goes down and it seems like there aint nothing there barkes are on a ford truck im confused dont know what to do now hopefully some of the good mechanic on here can answer my question and I thank you all duane

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

First adjust the rears up till you have a light drag and then report on what it's then doing.

3. Kicked

Kicked
    from Reno

what year is the truck?

4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

What he said ^ :D:D

5. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

Another guy just had the same problem with his 63 fairlane ... He had his calapers on the wrong side ... bleeders were on the bottom .... To see if the boster is bad you can hear it sucking valcume in side the boster ... If the MC is old put a new one on ....

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

It would be easier to offer help if you can describe your complete brake system (all the components) and what vehicle they're on.

Also, what was wrong with the brakes that required you to redo them?

7. huskersnb2

huskersnb2
    from nebraska

i removed a frame from a 77 ford f150 1977 and put it on a 64 ford body frame has all the original componets pads on the back new wheel cylinders each side new lines no that leak new disc brakes on the front original booster and master cylinder from the 77 ford we bleed them and got some foot pedal not much but im thinnkin it the master cylinder so i bought one to try then nothing else the power booster is no good and them aint cheap so im guessing right now probally sould have letf the truck original but i wanted updates for newer stuff im a back yard kind of guy a do -it all-yourself- and get frustrated as hell

8. F&J

F&J

not to worry

Are you getting a good flow of fluid out of all 4 bleeders?

I'm not up on Fords of that year, but Chevy would have what I call "a saftey switch" located at, or in, the brake proportioning valve. That thing has a piston inside that turns the brake warning light "on" in the dashboard if one line pops, etc..but it also shuts off fluid to 2 wheels. So, if you have very little flow at one end of the truck, that could be the problem.