Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

You're going to love this one Rock!;)

Today I'm getting the door ready to accept the new door jam. Checked out the original piece on the body first. No major surgery required here and the added bonus of it being re-inforced. So that's fine.

Next, the door. At first glans I was just going to enlarge the small gap, located behind the big square one you see from the outside. The small gap is actually governed by two small pins that apply pressure to the door jam.(pic no.2). After a bit of thinking, I marked the position on the inside of the door. Then drilled two holes exactly above each pin, (breaking a total of two drill bits) and after a bit of force with a hammer and screwdriver, was able to remove them with tweezers.

Then got the Dremel out and enlarged the holes so they would accept the new hollow door jams. Job done.:D:D:D

Not very exciting work.....I know.....but I don't want to be doing these things once the doors are painted.

Attached Files:

2. hemi v8

hemi v8

Love the attention to detail, even on the hidden parts. Shows true workmanship and dedication. Keep up the good work farmer12.

3. Truckeez

Truckeez

Hey Farmer,, love the HEEEEMI! have you ever mess with the rover v8's, which is supposed to be the --uhhhmm, _sbc_ of europe.

Im into lighter rods--if the world was a different place, ide be playing with those,--but i see those 10 yr old high end suvs in boneyards regularly and makes me think rover really didn't get all the bugs out of the buick 215. the range rovers are a huge heap for those 4.2--etc to move around, I know where thers a 63 buick special with a 200 horse engine, and another 64--buick 300--Thats supposed to have the best heads for those ole buick aluminum v8''s/ or the rover version, But Fuel aint going to go down anymore( I dont mean to tarnish anyones enthusieasm for hotrods like this.
    BTW check out these efi 97's,
    http://autotrendefi.com/engine.html

4. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Nice work Eric, sweet! It looks like its all coming together, I bet you can't wait to get some color on the car.....

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work, Eric. I'm guessing that you no longer have a detent to hold the door open. Is that correct? The two pins you removed were the detent for the old door checks. Correct?

6. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you hemi v8!

Thank you, I suppose you can see the paint as the icing on the cake!

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you scrapmetalman! I checked out their site, they've got some great stuff there.

Attached Files:

8. farmer12

farmer12

Correct on both Rock. The detent is now non existend, which does not bother me. If it will open and close like it should, that's fine. I may need to add some extra rubber behind the rubber stop in case the door opens too far. At least now I can run the wires through the door safely. Having second thoughts?

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh no. I was just making sure I understood everything. I think I can make my own pretty easily. :)

10. Moparts

Moparts

Inspirational work there farmer12! This is one awesome build......I can't even imagine how difficult(and costly) it must be building this on the other side of the world. Respect!

11. farmer12

farmer12

With your skills, that shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you Moparts! The distance just creates a more challenging build.

12. powhatan42

powhatan42

Hello. Yes still alive and 36#'s lighter I hit the Gym pretty hard. Can you post a picture of that part that you need.:cool:

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How are you going to mount the brackets, Eric? Getting the old ones out looks like a PITA.

14. farmer12

farmer12

I've been doing a bit of research and the sedan door link is a lot shorter than the one for the coupe. I've had contact with Lindsay McConnell and he has the exact required part I need. Thank you for your offer to help me out Glenn.

15. farmer12

farmer12

Rock, I presume you mean the brackets for the door jam....I'm going to tackle that once I've got the doors completed/welded and bolted back in the car. I was thinking of just drilling/removing the old moveable piece and leaving the remaining support in place on to which I can mount the brackets. I'll let you know when I'll get to it.:D

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good. I'll be out of commission for the next two weeks (vacation). I will just wait and see how you did it. :)

17. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Farmer...You're a mad man. Wow. Looks great.

18. powhatan42

powhatan42

I'm going with electric openers so I probably don't need my parts from the Coupe door arms. I did not realize this until I was reading Rocakable thread.
    Well it looks like you will get her done one way or the other. I will keep an eye on your progress. Anything I can do to help, just let me know.:cool:

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the comments Joe!

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Glenn, PM sent.

21. powhatan42

powhatan42

Got ya covered.:cool:
    PM sent.

22. Car

Car
    from the desert

I haven't checked this thread out for a while and I see it's coming along great. Keep it up and before you know it, you'll be painting it! Awesome.

23. 1959apache

1959apache

looking good Eric! You've done a lot of work on those doors, you won't be disappointed! You need to post a video on youtube of them working for us.

24. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Car! I certainly am looking forward to the day I can roll it into the paint booth. Until then I need to stay focussed on the all the "little" things that need to be done. This will eventually all work out and make re-assembly a lot easier and less stressful. The comments are appreciated.

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats a good hint,thanks man!
    And Eric,keep up the good work

26. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Scott! I'll need to sort out which door handles I'm going to use first (spending a lot of time on internet...) before I can make the set up work. I'll think about a youtube vid.........let me finish it first.;)

Thank you Finnrodder!

27. n847

n847

as usual your craftsmanship is top notch...I love to show this thread to people and watch them just shake their head while they skim the pages...Then they turn around in my garage and shake their heads at my "craftsmanship"!

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you n847, you made me smile! Glad you're still enjoying the thread!

29. farmer12

farmer12

How lost can you be without a welding machine.........just talked to the guys fixing mine and they're still waiting for parts. Considering I'm also waiting on a few ordered parts from the US, I thought I'd get started on the front grill. First I mounted it in position to make sure it would still fit properly after sandblasting. That was fine....

Then got the 2 vertical trim pieces out and did a trial fit. Now I knew the car had been hit in the grill once or twice during the course of it's life. I also knew that the PO used a fair amount of bondo here as well.

It may be difficult to see in pic #2, but the gap is approaching 1.5 inches. So I spent most of the afternoon working with the hammer and dolly. Got the gap to a bit less than an inch now, so there's still a fair way to go. Even though the metal in the middle of the grill(there where usually the emblem is mounted)isn't great in places, I'm going to shape it correctly first before I replace it with new metal. That way I can make a template for the new metal using the "old" metal shape........(I know what I mean:))

Once again, a bit more work than initially anticipated, but hey, that's what its all about, right?:D:D:D

Attached Files:

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ugh. You might try a porta power to jack it into place. I think you'll have better luck that way than with hammer and dolly.