Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Henry J gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemipwd41willys, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to the Dyno runs. Happy Thanksgiving to you !

2. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Bill,
    Thanks for the complements. I would like to some day make a pass or 2, just to see what it will run. Who knows we might cross the finish line together some day.

3. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Thanks again Steve, still following your build very close. You are doing a awesome job. Going to be one bad A** car when done.

4. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

OMG!

I've been out of the loop a while. I didn't know Tex passed away. I did a fair bit of business with him as well. I think I might be the only gut in recent history that had as many J's as Tex (at least temporarily).

5. farmer12

farmer12

Can't wait to see the vid, this going to be good! What sort of numbers are you expecting?

6. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Well everything finally fell into place with the dyno runs on my blown 55 331 hemi. Final #'s on the runs 537 HP @ 6K and 491 Ft lbs at 5100
    The engine is a very mild build for the street, running the blower at 17 under and boost at 7lbs. When we built the motor i was hoping to break into the 500 hp range. Very happy with the final out come. We shut the runs off at 6k and it was still making just over 8 hp per 100 RPM just didn't want to take any chances after all we had been through to get to that point. I feel it would have easily made over 550.
    I did shoot video of the runs and will get them posted once i get a fire wire purchased for my computer.

Must say a big "THANK YOU" to my engine builder Jeff @ J&B Engines for all the meticulous efforts on the machine work and time spent on the dyno. Wouldn't be where i am at today with out you.:D

Attached Files:

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure have to be happy with those numbers. Car looks great. Looking forward to the videos.

8. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

9. That metal work sure looks great on the car and that engine sure ain't half bad either. I'd like to see ya make a pass or two myself.

10. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Thanks Baron, 64 Thunderbolt and Swade for the comments. Got a ways to go but getting closer every day. Looking forward to stompin the gas pedal some day soon.
    Who knows Swade maybe we can run the 1/4 together some day:)

11. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ken,
    That Henry J is just awesome. Very cool build.
    Larry

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

13. bmbgarage

bmbgarage

Great build. Wondering what process the body had to strip it. Was it soda blasted, chemical stripped, or sanded? Also, what was the final prep to the metal prior to metal work (scotch-brite or da to what grit. Do you take any steps to avoid flash rust during the metal work stage? Again great looking car with excellent craftsmanship.
    Bill

14. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Larry,
    Thanks! I think it will turn out to be a car that dad might like:) I am really pushing to get this build done by Summer time. I want to be able to get back to work on the 41 Willys coupe this coming winter. You have "inspired" me with yours! LOL

15. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Sweet i know where there is one in town that i been thinking about

16. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Bill,
    All the removable body panels along with the outer part of the main shell were soda blasted. The wheel wells and inner & outer floor were sand blasted when i did the frame. Before i started the metal work the panels were DA sanded, with living here in Wyoming we don't have to worry about flash rust or surface rust, we don't get the humidity like other areas. The car has been in raw metal for almost a year and still looks as if it was done yesterday.
    Thanks for the compliment stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ken,

17. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Getting back to work again.

Built the 48" ladder bars, also got them and the spring pads welded up on the housing. New drive shaft is done. Also got the housing, third member, bars and all the brake parts painted and started to assemble them today.

Attached Files:

18. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Also got the headers painted today. I know they aren't fender wells, the only reason i used them is i already had bought them for another project and couldn't see letting them sit and go to waste. Gave them a coat of VHT will see how it holds up. I took them over to my friends to have him cook them in his powder coating oven per the directions.

Attached Files:

19. Clik

Clik

Nice build.

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job on the ladder bars ! They'll certainly do the job required. :)

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looking great, I like the old style square tube bars, I made mine the same as they look old and suit the car.
    Is this a track only car or street ??? I only ask because you have set the bars up parralel.

22. The updated progress looks just like the rest of the build Hi-Quality !

23. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome build, I love it.

24. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Thanks! Clik, Baron,Langy and Swade41 for the compliments.
    Langy, i am going to spend more time on the street with it but it is going to see some strip time also. I am excited to see how the bars are going to work, this is the first set like this i have ever built. I have had a couple of fully adjustable ones on 2 different prostreet cars that i owned a few years back. I guess all i can say is cross your fingers.
    LOL

25. Clik

Clik

I built a similar set of ladder bars for mine but I set 'em up with shackles in the front to avoid ladder bar bind that often occurs when you combine ladders with leaf springs.

26. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Clik
    Can you share a pic or two of your ladder bar set up?

27. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another way to stop suspension bind with ladder bars/leaf springs is using a pivot set up on the rear end to spring mount. I have used this same set up on a 1/2 dozen of my cars with no problems.

Here are the front mts on my 55 Chevy.
    [​IMG]

Pivot set up on the rear end housing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  28. Clik

Clik

I have in the past but the pics come out real small. If I change the size they get fuzzy. This site isn't like E-mail I'm used to, it's difficult to post pics.

29. Clik

Clik

I don't know if this pic will work but...

Attached Files: